• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Well, I don't think there's anything illegal about putting a custom version of the standard farmer's electric fence around the AC unit. Go ahead and build a chain link "cage", and just put the battery and electric fence portion on the inside of the cage but connected to it--it's not lethal, but I'm sure it'd be a pain for the thieves to get through.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Well, I don't think there's anything illegal about putting a custom version of the standard farmer's electric fence around the AC unit. Go ahead and build a chain link "cage", and just put the battery and electric fence portion on the inside of the cage but connected to it--it's not lethal, but I'm sure it'd be a pain for the thieves to get through.

Make it hot enough that it will knock them out, then you can kick them in the nuts & take their wallets:rockwoot:

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Do you think it would make a difference if you had to have some type of license or permit to sell scrap, except maybe for consumer products like aluminum cans? The penalty would be to the scrapyards that couldn't produce the license or permit number that matches the name on the check they write (no more cash payouts).:twocents:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    One of the few places that I prefer muslim law, just cut the theif's hand off as punishment. Eventually the message will get out that thieves arent wanted in this country.
    It would make it very difficult for the politicians to sign any new laws if this happened too, as most wouldnt have a hand to hold a pen.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Same thing happened to me this week. A 2 year old unit. It was the second one I have lost at rentals. The last one had never even been turned on. All for scrap. Both of these houses were over by the old airport in "decent neighborhoods" . Do your homework before you make a claim. In my case at least, by the time I pay the deductable and calculate the increase in my policy, I just eat it. Hard to swallow though.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I spent a couple hours today on a friends pontoon, re-wiring the starter wires and lights, etc. He's had 3 batteries stolen this summer. This last time they just cut all the wires and cut the chain on the battery box. I'm building a new box for him this week to bolt through the floor of the pontoon so he can possibly leave a battery on the boat. People will steal anything. :xmad:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Another reason I refused to rent out any of the 3 houses I sold. I would have burnt them down first.

Well it's a good thing these were purchased for the express purpose of renting them out then isn't it, so I wouldn't have to make that difficult choice. I am not a landlord out of desperation or circumstance but choice. It is my 401K and hubby's FU money.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    As far as rental property do you have to give them a.c.? I always thought that was not a necessity like heat.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Well it's a good thing these were purchased for the express purpose of renting them out then isn't it, so I wouldn't have to make that difficult choice. I am not a landlord out of desperation or circumstance but choice. It is my 401K and hubby's FU money.

That is a great plan. My wife and I plan on turning our current home into a rental when we buy some land. The plan is to have several in the same area by the time little man goes to college and make one of them his "graduation gift" from college as long as he goes along with helping me maintain them as he grows up (He's only 15 months now). The plan is to let him start out in a paid for home or he can manage it as a rental to pay for wherever he decides to live.

Top Bottom