• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    We have a lot of members talking about building ARs. Let's use this post to organize a day where members can get together and put them together. :do2:

WHITE_WOLFE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Greenfield
    I got tools for building and would be willing to help.

Also have a 2 car garage and tables.

Small work bench with vise and AR vise block. Armorers wrench and a few other things to build em up.

My tools can also travel, but my vise cannot. :):

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    depends on when this is. I just purchased a rifle from another forum member.

I know a friend of mine plans on building one for himself, but that's going to be out a bit time wise. I've considered building a second Rifle to go with my carbine, but I haven't decided for sure I want to spend the money on it yet.

shamowfski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    So... am I the only one actually "Building"? Lame...

I know there's more out there than just me..

I built the lower except for the trigger (flying to colorado as we speak for a Bill Springfield trigger job) last night. Wasn't even a 1 New Castle job. I'll be posting pics later. I ran into some issues that I couldn't find shown in pictures anywhere so I figured we could get some sort of beginners guide going over here. Also didn't help that my J and T lower parts kit had tons of extra parts. The guide would say, you should have 2 of these identical springs and I had 5 instead. I am glad they included them though. I broke the front takedown pin spring.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    There is a rason why J&T includes lots of extra parts like that, they tend to go flying if your a rookie. Ever try to look for a 1/4" long by 1/16" diameter goldish colored pin on tan carpet? It don't work too well. :thumbsup:

shamowfski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    There is a rason why J&T includes lots of extra parts like that, they tend to go flying if your a rookie. Ever try to look for a 1/4" long by 1/16" diameter goldish colored pin on tan carpet? It don't work too well. :thumbsup:

I'd read horror stories of people's kits only including the required parts (other brands). I love that J and T included spares. I did drop one of the gold pins on the tan carpet, i actually used a camera, the flash reflected off of it and i found it (even though I had extras).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Do you accept the mechanically challenged students? According to the ADA, I think you have to accept us.:lmfao:

I'm interested but fairly clueless. I have two tools, a hammer and a bigger hammer. That's all I'm qualified to have (court order). However, I can be educated.

I have an s load of AR lowers that I need built, or at least have the knowledge of how to.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg

i know that for a fact :): good thing you had an extra!

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Do you accept the mechanically challenged students? According to the ADA, I think you have to accept us.:lmfao:

I'm interested but fairly clueless. I have two tools, a hammer and a bigger hammer. That's all I'm qualified to have (court order). However, I can be educated.

I have an s load of AR lowers that I need built, or at least have the knowledge of how to.

You need to learn how to use tools ;) it makes many jobs easier, not just building ar15s. Where are you located because i could help?

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Kirk, you wacky Brit, you already know I will help you, just bring your parts by, but be advised I work thru noon tea break.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm doing a build but my Vltor handgaurd is backordered due to a big Navy order. Who'd have thought the Navy would buy 2000 tan handgaurds?!?!

tancasvSmall-gallery1.jpg

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I'm interested in building an AR-15 however, I don't have a clue where to start. Where can I purchase a kit? Or, is it less expensive to buy parts from different places? I've noticed that you can purchase an assembled AR for about $800 to $1K. Can you build one for much less? I am looking for a starter gun.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm interested in building an AR-15 however, I don't have a clue where to start. Where can I purchase a kit? Or, is it less expensive to buy parts from different places? I've noticed that you can purchase an assembled AR for about $800 to $1K. Can you build one for much less? I am looking for a starter gun.

AR-15's are pretty much all the same (in terms of part description, not necessarily quality). It might help to pick up one of those "AR-15 Field Stripping" manuals, you know those yellow-covered spiral-bound books in the racks at the gun store. It'll give you an idea of how all the parts interact and you'll have a better understanding of what you're trying to build. An AR-15 has so many different options that you may not want what your neighbor has. Then, go to the 1500 next month and you'll be able to start picking out individual parts.

Top Bottom