• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks for the input, everybody. Obijohn, I got the PM and will respond later today.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    The comments thus far are great. That being said I have a different question for you. Do the shooters want to be taught? Is there a market?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    The comments thus far are great. That being said I have a different question for you. Do the shooters want to be taught? Is there a market?

Agreed! Just like any other business plan! Of course, hobbying to start out may be fullfilling to you (whether you make lots of money or not) whether training or brokering...
    Is there a market for women? Men? Kids? And if so, what type of training/credentials are they looking for?

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Having a great resume and being a great trainer are two completely different things Que. Some of the nimrods on this forum are easily impressed.

If you offer a great product and present it well judge your work by the results you get with people. I'm betting you would be a great trainer.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Like Tom Givens told us, "How do you make a small fortune in firearms training? Start with a large fortune." For the few names out there that are making fairly decent money, there are thousands that are making little to nothing. Some would be surprised at some of the quality trainers who live out of their cars or on friends couches. Fortunately for Que, I don't think he is looking to get in it for the money.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Sadly in VA you can take your state required CCW training online. And those classes are usually the bare minimum.

But there are several paths that you could take from where you are now.

You could try to align yourself with one of the other training facilities further away and see if they would endorse a satelite location. Or you could get certified on your own.

I believe the NRA classes would be simple for you. So would the course they require for you to be certified by the VA DCJS. You could then offer both NRA classes/courses and the VA CCW course. You could host them almost anywhere. I know here (TN) some host them in a library then go to a local range for the range qualification part of the HCP course.

As long as you have a desire leave those you teach better than they were when they entered your class and teaching them more than the minimum is always a plus.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I think if you see a need you feel you can fill, go for it. I have no resume for anything like this but I've had several customers ask me if I hold classes. New gun owners want someone who can and will talk to them in a way they can understand. Make it fun but informative and you'll do great. As others have already said, you're knowledgeable, you're articulate and you're willing. Worst case scenario is you get some more training, not a bad deal in itself

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I would definitely agree with many of the others that it entirely depends on the level of course you want to teach. I've always felt pretty comfortable taking new shooters out (though I'm selective about who). I ALWAYS recommend they get with a real trainer, but just about anyone who can consistently follow the rules can educate others.

Craigh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Columbus
    Okay, I want your honest feedback. Since I moved to Virginia, I have been going out of my mind. There are absolutely no training opportunities within three to four hours of my location. I just may be spoiled from living in the capitol city of Indiana and everything being in close proximity. Still, examining the people at the range, I see a great need in this area, but could I do it?

I've always wanted to do something to give back to the gun community, but every time I start something, work gets in the way. I would still like to really get EDC Nation off the ground, but since moving, all of my resources are gone. As for me becoming a trainer, I guess I'm wondering if I should work to become a trainer or simply be the conduit to bring trainers to my area?

From my experience on INGO, I know most people want an extensive resume, with a great deal of military, LE, or contractor experience. That is something I do not have, well at least the high-level black ops stuff. I'm just an average guy. That said, I am leaning toward the possibility of becoming a type of "promoter" to bring trainers to this area. Because work responsibilities can fluctuate, I'm thinking this is the better option. But, would trainers actually come and conduct classes for someone they don't know? Is this how they normally do it? Also, do they normally charge a flat rate or charge per-person registered? What do you trainers and those of you who take classes think about this? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey Que,
    I’ve worked with you enough so, my short answer is ‘heck yes’ you can offer instruction to new and aspiring shooters. I think you can follow a similar format to what we are doing at Hoosier Hills, with our four hour training modules.

While a bit less glamorous that the high speed/low drag classes, I don’t think it’s possible overstate the value of introducing people (new or ‘experienced’) to the fundamentals of gun handling (4-rules) and marksmanship (sight alignment and trigger press). We all realize this is really common sense, both in its simplicity and effectiveness but, when it’s presented (and demonstrated) in a concise, logical manner, it’s quite powerful.

Investing the time with people, who wish to make a firearm part of their self-defense system, to not only tell them the 4-rules, but to demonstrate what it means to live within them, is the most valuable way to ‘give back’ to the shooting community (IMHO).

And, being the capitalist pig that I am, I have no compunction with charging a nominal fee for this service.

I hope Va is working out for you and the family. Good Luck!!

Craig

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Are there any Appleseed in that area? You'd look good wearing one of their funny colored hats.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Hey Que,
    I’ve worked with you enough so, my short answer is ‘heck yes’ you can offer instruction to new and aspiring shooters. I think you can follow a similar format to what we are doing at Hoosier Hills, with our four hour training modules.

While a bit less glamorous that the high speed/low drag classes, I don’t think it’s possible overstate the value of introducing people (new or ‘experienced’) to the fundamentals of gun handling (4-rules) and marksmanship (sight alignment and trigger press). We all realize this is really common sense, both in its simplicity and effectiveness but, when it’s presented (and demonstrated) in a concise, logical manner, it’s quite powerful.

Investing the time with people, who wish to make a firearm part of their self-defense system, to not only tell them the 4-rules, but to demonstrate what it means to live within them, is the most valuable way to ‘give back’ to the shooting community (IMHO).

And, being the capitalist pig that I am, I have no compunction with charging a nominal fee for this service.

I hope Va is working out for you and the family. Good Luck!!

Craig

Well if that is not an endorsement I don't know what is. I hold Craig's opinion in the highest regard.

Not to leave anybody out I also value Cedartop, Evan, Rhino and Shay's input. I would listen to those guys when it comes to training advice

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I previously commented on the market in your area, because I had assumed you (personally) were more than capable.
    However, I feel I should mention that it would be best to be honest when making their nametags in your training classes. Funny quips may be frowned upon in terms of repeat business. At least until you gain some clientele anyways :)

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Dude, if you have essential skill that others in your community don't have it is your duty to teach it. The relevant experience doesn't matter either. When Brandon Webbs group revamped the SEAL sniper course they did something different and broke the skills they taught down into specifics and tried to find people with experience doing that. They consulted competition marksmen but they also consulted actual teachers to study instructional methods, psychologists, physiologists, you name it. They didn't just rely on dogma. Look around, see what the folks need, then do it. If they need basic stuff. Awesome. If they need something more, go learn it then teach it. Just be a teacher and try to make things better.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks, everybody. This is certainly not something I want to do in order to make money. The tools we use are fun, but in the right hands, can also be used to save lives. I want to teach people both sides, while remaining safe. I also want people to understand that their brain is the first line of defense and not the gun.

I believe I have a good concept that has been in the development stage for years. If all the pieces can come together, it will be a great benefit for the firearm/self-protection community. I would very much like to teach the very basics and then bring in people to teach classes such as:

- Advanced Pistol
    - Appleseed
    - Force-on-Force Scenarios
    - Protection in the Home
    - Knife Skills
    - Flashlight Training
    - Survival (winter and summer)
    - Physical Training
    - IDPA/USPSA Basics
    - and others

I would like to develop an entire curriculum and give people skills beyond the handgun. I've gotten a lot of great advice and I look forward to putting some things into action.

Top Bottom