CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You've got the gist of it.

A Brief History of Challenge Coins | Mental Floss

I won't speak to the accuracy of the history but that explains it pretty well. If you want to view it as a way to show belonging or just another souvenir for the junk drawer is up to you. I've got a bunch from the military and LEO stuff. Some are pretty special to me and some I don't even recall the particulars of how I got it.

The red above, IMHO, is the important part to me.

I'm not pooing the idea of challenge coins, but to buy a coin for yourself to be a "part" of a group has no significant meaning...at least in my mind.

I have several coins from my times working overseas for our warfighters, some mean little to me, but the most prized of them are the ones that came from the likes of Seal Team 3 and a few different ODA's. In the end, they still sit around in a junk drawer but I do have plans to do something with them sometime.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    INGO%202015%20Challenge%20Coin_zpsstdpukkh.png

There is always one stinker in the bunch. Why is INGunOwners.comon it three times? is there nothing else we could fill that space with? maybe the Second Ammendment or Section 32 of the Indiana Constitution.

I would then take several.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I had another thought. Don't make them available for purchase.

We could have a group buy where we supply the cash up front (I know get nothing for my money, that's stupid), the only to get one is to do something for the shooting sports.

Bring a new person to an INGO meet and shoot.

I'd be in for $20.

That would make it worth something.

I was the only NCO at 3/325th. Battalion HQ that didn't get an Iron Mike (Bronze paratrooper statue) when i left. Why? Because I refused to buy myself one. They had a mandatory fund to throw a party for "everyone" who left, which I never put a penny in. If a hard working, personable, value adding NCO retired, transferred or ets'd I would throw in cash for a party and a memento. If he was an A****** like me, forget it.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    You've got the gist of it.

A Brief History of Challenge Coins | Mental Floss

I won't speak to the accuracy of the history but that explains it pretty well. If you want to view it as a way to show belonging or just another souvenir for the junk drawer is up to you. I've got a bunch from the military and LEO stuff. Some are pretty special to me and some I don't even recall the particulars of how I got it.

I have several my my USAF days too. I carry my unit coin from Korea in 1993 (the first one I ever received). 51st COBSS (Collocated Operating Base Support Squadron, or Confused Often By Simple ****.) We were at 7 locations around Korea, most were where people thought were bases that were closed (Taegu, Kimhae, Kwang-Gu, Suwon), some most never heard of before (Sachon and Cheong-Ju). We were at Osan too if you're counting, but that's the biggest Air Base in the ROK. It's been with me ever since and is the one challenge coin I carry.

The whole coin thing has changed a lot over the past decade or so. Again I have many, a few mean a lot.

With that said, I'll take one at the next 1500. Two if you have the new t-shirts in large.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom