INGO ghost stories and the unexplained...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    I figure there are some of you that have seen ghosts or just something unexplainable. I like hearing these stories and think its possible.

When I was about 20, I was spotlighting for deer in Brown county. While driving without the spotlight on, my friend and I saw an old man walk straight off the side of the road into a very large bean field. He was about fifty yards away when we saw him. Wondering why this man was walking into a bean field in pitch black darkness and not ever looking our way, I hit the spotlight...he was gone. This field was 100 acres +, he had nowhere to go but was simply gone, no ditch, no buildings, no nothing. From then on I have been a believer in ghosts.

What have you witnessed?

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My dad passed away one month before our first child..Naturally, I was pretty devastated as he was so looking forward to seeing our first baby and all along he kept saying it was a girl...Fast forward one month later and we are home after 3 days in the hospital. My wife and I are standing in the kitchen area of our small house in Speedway and we suddenly get the strong smell of Kool cigarettes, the same that my dad smoked. Now, I nor my wife have never smoked, period...The smell was extremely strong for about 5 minutes and the strongest in the baby's room. I can only attribute this to my dad coming to see his newest granddaughter, and it didnt frighten me or my wife but only confirmed that my dad is watching over me...

This happened every time that one of our kids was home from the hospital, about 2 or 3 days afterwards, we would always smell the Kool cigarette smell in our house and we knew that dad was there...It still makes me smile....

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My 2nd story happened after we bought the in-law's house in Lebanon...The family dog was 16 when he went over the rainbow bridge. He had lived a good long life and was well loved. The day after he died, my mother in law saw him sleeping next to her bed, this happened several time prior to us buying the house. Well I am up at 5am getting ready to head to the firehouse and as I start heading downstairs, who comes up the stairs at me, the dog....Not a sound, not a look, just right up the stairs at a trot..my heart was going 100 mph as I hit the first floor landing, just because it was such a start....that was the only time I saw him....The wife and mother in law about fell over when I told them....

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    It is said by all of my neighbors my house is haunted. All the stories they tell me as to why it is line up with evidence/news articles on the property. The only thing I have had happen is ceiling fans that have remote control units on them turn them selfs on and off when ever. I have since changed all of those out with newer units. Got nothing.

I do not beleive in them... Honestly do not want to start either! I simply think when you die that is it, no one from the other side has ever come back to convince me otherwise.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    The back story + story is way too long for me to type right now, but I'll give the cliff notes and if anyone would like to hear it later, just let me know.

1. In high school a friends parent's are out of town(party time).

2. The house is apart of historic Newburgh(green plaque) and was a part of The Underground Railroad.

3. I didn't even know this at the time.

4. The majority of the lights were off in the house and when I went to the bathroom(I'm only on my second beer, so I wasn't just seeing things) I looked to the left and in dark hallway I saw the shadow-silhouette of a person staring at a picture on the wall.

5. I stop dead in my tracks and just stare for a good 2-3 seconds to make sure I'm seeing what I'm seeing and it finally notices me and swivels its head and looks directly at me, then bolts off into the darkness.

6. After telling the friend(it's actually my new girlfriend's friend) about it, she told me it was completely normal, so I went to turn the light on to see the picture "it" was staring at on the wall and it was a picture of a group of runaway slaves that apparently were hiding out there.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I was using a Ouija board a LONG time ago, and whatever i was talking to was telling me it was my dead grandmother and was actually knowing things i had only talked to her about. talk about flipping me out. I do believe!

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Home I am the tech guy. Go to evidence, some of that stuff I experienced first hand. Just wait for Josh Smith. He should have a few good stories.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    I believe also! I've got many weird little stories, but I'll share a few:

1) I remember that when I was a baby and toddler, my grandmother used to come visit me alot and play with me when I was in my crib. We had all sorts of fun together and she always made me laugh. She stopped coming around as much as I got older. When I was about 5, my mother mentioned something about Grandma being blind, and I insisted that she was NOT blind. My mother and I had a very interesting conversation and she showed me some pictures and I pointed out her mother in them. At some point in the conversation, I learned that my grandmother had died two years before I was born! [edited to add - My mother told me she often got the creeps watching me laugh and interact with someobody who wasn't there and after this day, it all made sense to her]

2) My sister went to a psychic/medium last year, who apparently had some messages for her from our father, one of which was, "Lucille is with me." Well, my father had a sister named Lucille who lived in another state and we hadn't heard from her in about six months. We called her, no answer. Turned out she had died not long before my sister's visit to the psychic!

3) Last Christmas, the family was sitting around my sister's dining room table talking and I saw a little black dog (well, a sort of shadow of a little balck dog) run from the kitchen into the dining room and under the table. Just as it reached my neice's leg (her legs were crossed) her foot jerked up nad kicked me. She apologized and said she didn't know why she did that. I sat there for a couple minutes feeling a little crazy, til I saw my mother had a strange look on her face. I finally said, "OK, Y'all are gonna think I'm nuts, but I just saw a little black dog run under the table." My mother said, "I saw it too, but I was afraid if I said anything you'd want to put me in a nursing home" :D Turns out my sister sees it in her house all the time!

4) My sister's grandson, who is 7 now, has seen people who have passed on rather frequently. He doesn't know they're passed on, so when he talks about them visiting, he can't figure out why no one else remembers them being there!

I could go on, but I'll stop there. I don't pretend to understand it, but I believe!

Last edited:

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    OK.. I have to tell one more. I was working as a hospice nurse and visiting a patient who was dying in a hospital. It turns out her son had died of a massive MI the day before and her children had all agreed not to upset her with the news. I arrived on the floor to visit her and two of her children were having an argument in the hallway outside her room. "But we agreed we wouldn't tell her! How COULD you?" "But I Swear! I didn't tell her!" "But you were the only one with her since I left!" etc. I went in to talk to the lady and she quickly told me her son had died and she was going to join him soon. I asked her how she knew her son had died. She said "Why HE told me! He came to see me last night! He's waiting for me. It's all going to be fine." I called her other children into the room and asked her to tell them what she had just told me. Tears all around, the argument stopped and the lady had one of the most peaceful deaths I have ever seen.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I only have one. I'm not sure if it's an experience or not but it creeped me out at the time and still does. When I was in school, elemetary through college, I always had a dresser by the door and a bookshelf headboard for my bed. I always put my wallet and keys in the same spot on the dresser since it's the last thing I see before heading out the door. I would wake up in the morning with them on my headboard stacked on top of my alarm clock. I also was laying in bed one night and my light turned itself on. I sat up to turn it off and it turned itself off. That's the only time that's ever happened.

crawfish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    south indy
    I have seen one unexplained person if you will I now beileve in something out there and will never doubt ity again. IF YOU SEEN SOMETHING i BEILEVE U and good luck cause now you know

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    I have a few stories about things I've experienced but cannot explain.The one that kind of freaks me out the most occured in 2006. I had just gotten married and my (now Ex)wife best friend, who lives in Santa Barbara, was also getting married the month after ours. So we decided to hold off and have our honeymoon in Santa Barbara when we go up there for the wedding. Now for about 2 months before this, I'd been suffering from really bad migraine headaches, I couldn't do anything during these episodes. We had been staying at hotel just on the outskirts of Santa Barbara, on the first floor. During her friends ceremony, I start getting one of these migraines and by the time the reception is starting my migraine is going full steam. Now my wife was the maid of honor so she could not give me a ride back to the hotel, so Steven, a friend of hers gives me a ride back to the hotel. Now Steven is a very tall guy, probably close to 6'8. We get to the hotel. Steven leaves and I go in, wet a wash cloth, put it on my forehead and proceeded to go to sleep. Now I remember my wife comming in to the hotel room and laying down on the other bed (the room had 2 full sized beds). Now I recall her locking the door when she came in.So I go back to sleep and I am unsure what time this thing occured but at some point during the night I woke up because someone was tapping on my foot. It was very distinct, like someone was trying to wake me up. I open my eyes thinking it was my wife. It was complete dark in the room and I had to really focus to even make out the tv that was mounted to the wall at the far corner of the room near the foot of the bed I was in. But what was odd was that i was only able to make out half of the tv. There was also a carbon monoxide tester mounted to the wall with a red light right next to the tv. So I start to really focus in and I can see a large dark figure there at the foot of my bed. In my daze I said out loud, Steven what are you doing here? Then I realized how did he get in the room and most importantly why was he in the room. I get no answer, so I'm thinking that I am just seeing things because I just woke up and it was dark. So I'm looking at the red light from the tester and this shadow thing moved across the tv, past the red light because as it passed the red light, it had blocked it. I saw this figure move across the foot of the bed I was in and go into the bathroom. Now at this point, I tried to get out of bed but I couldn't. It was like I was stuck to the bed. I started to scream who are you. After I said this I was able to jump out of bed and I ran into the bathroom expecting to see someone in there. I turn on the lights to the bathroom and no one is in it. I'm shaking now,my wife lifts her head off her pillow and asks if I'm ok.I ask her didn't you hear me screaming. She said she heard me muttering something unrecognizable, but I was not screaming. I told her what I had saw..it was a very large shadowed figure, that appeared to be wearing some sort of robe with a hood.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I'm with Elsie.. I have so many I could fill a small book.

My two favorites, though:

When I was 9, my mom's dad died of cancer. It was rather prolonged, and he spent the better part of the last year of his life in a nursing home. Mom said he used to talk to people on the ceiling (well, he WAS laying in a bed). At some point they asked him who he was talking to, and all the people he mentioned had already passed on at various points. She also said he used to talk about my grandma (who passed away when she was 48, so about 20 years earlier) coming to visit him. He only saw her in his dreams, and she was crossing a big field toward him. Every visit, she was a little bit closer, and he would say she was coming to get him and help him through. The family thinks that when he died, Ruby had finally come to meet him.

Fast forward about 20 years... I'm taking my Girl Scout troop to Savannah, the most haunted city in the US. On the car trip down, I mentioned I was curious to see how things were going to go because my family believes strongly in ghosts, and the girls asked me if I had ever seen any. I told them I didn't recall "seeing" any, but that I had felt presences before that couldn't be explained. So, I spent the next three days being asked if I felt any "presenceseses."

One night, we ate dinner at the Pirate House, the oldest building in the city that was still being used as it was originally built (a restaurant, although now for tourists rather than sailors). The girls asked, and I answered, yes, I thought there was an older man standing just outside the restroom, and went on to describe him as I felt him. Our "go in pairs" rule suddenly turned into "go in threes," even though the restroom was so small, it was hardly big enough for three people. My co-leader chastised me for scaring the girls, and I spent the better part of the next day convincing them I had made it up. By the end of the afternoon, I was almost believing myself.

Then we were waiting around in the park for one of the ghost tours we had signed up for. Another tour guide was introducing herself to another Scout troop (3rd graders instead of 10th graders), and asked if they had eaten at the Pirate House (yes), then asked if they'd seen any ghosts while they were there. She explained all about how that's where a lot of men were pressed into the service of pirates, and many a man had died there, whether through resisting the press-gangs or through general barroom brawls. Then she specifically mentioned a captain who was a frequent patron of the tavern and had been for many years. I forget the details now, but I think he was killed in a fight there. Anyway, she described *perfectly* the man I had described to the girls the night before. It startled even me how accurate she was. After that, I wasn't allowed to talk about ghosts or anything supernatural for the rest of the trip. :):

It still runs in the family. My niece can actually see ghosts, but not as frequently now as when she was younger. Although I wonder if she actually sees as many as she reports, since she likes to scare her step-sister with stories about them hanging around her bed. :):

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Here's another one. My parents home has a remodeled basement,1st floor and a 2nd floor, the 2nd floor is more like a loft because it is wide open, my parents decided to let us use the 2nd floor as our bedroom.There is 1 smaller room and a closet up there.My oldest brother had the smaller room and my other 2 brothers and I shared the larger room.My mother has this weird thing about no one using the 1st floor bathtub and we were always made to use the bathroom shower in the basement. So one morning I wake up and I go downstairs and notice no one is home. I go to the basement to take a shower and as I am walking towards the bathroom down there I hear this most evil laugh comming from the basement. It didn't come from the outside, it came from inside the basement. I knew no one was home and it scared the living crap out of me. I forgot all about taking my shower. I got dressed and left the house for the day.
    The attic in there house has produced alot of activety. From foot steps of someone walking when everyone is on the first floor. I have seen grey shadows move about my eldest brothers room and one time after seeing this grey shadow the door to my eldest brothers bedroom slam shut. No windows were open so it was not the wind. I thought I was the only one experiencing these things, it wasn't till a few years ago, I started t share what I had experienced with my family and my aunt tells me she has heard and seen similar things in our house but was worried about telling anyone because they would think she was crazy.
    Some of you may know that right now, I am back in Chicago helping with the care of my elderly mother who recently broke her patella when she slipped on some ice during the bad storm they had. I have had several things already happen to me in the few weeks I have been back in their home. Attic lights turning off and on, foot steps up there, and on a couple of occasions I have heard someone calling my name in a whisper, I have heard the doors in the basement opening and closing then someone walking up the basement stairs into our kitchen, but when I go to take a look i find nothing.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Here's another one. My parents home has a remodeled basement,1st floor and a 2nd floor, the 2nd floor is more like a loft because it is wide open, my parents decided to let us use the 2nd floor as our bedroom.There is 1 smaller room and a closet up there.My oldest brother had the smaller room and my other 2 brothers and I shared the larger room.My mother has this weird thing about no one using the 1st floor bathtub and we were always made to use the bathroom shower in the basement. So one morning I wake up and I go downstairs and notice no one is home. I go to the basement to take a shower and as I am walking towards the bathroom down there I hear this most evil laugh comming from the basement. It didn't come from the outside, it came from inside the basement. I knew no one was home and it scared the living crap out of me. I forgot all about taking my shower. I got dressed and left the house for the day.
    The attic in there house has produced alot of activety. From foot steps of someone walking when everyone is on the first floor. I have seen grey shadows move about my eldest brothers room and one time after seeing this grey shadow the door to my eldest brothers bedroom slam shut. No windows were open so it was not the wind. I thought I was the only one experiencing these things, it wasn't till a few years ago, I started t share what I had experienced with my family and my aunt tells me she has heard and seen similar things in our house but was worried about telling anyone because they would think she was crazy.
    Some of you may know that right now, I am back in Chicago helping with the care of my elderly mother who recently broke her patella when she slipped on some ice during the bad storm they had. I have had several things already happen to me in the few weeks I have been back in their home. Attic lights turning off and on, foot steps up there, and on a couple of occasions I have heard someone calling my name in a whisper, I have heard the doors in the basement opening and closing then someone walking up the basement stairs into our kitchen, but when I go to take a look i find nothing.

And "it's" interacting with you???

Creeeeeepy... :n00b:

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    In 2002 me and my wife bought an old farmhouse that was built in 1871. We do not know anything about its history other than its age.
    When we first moved in me my wife and our dog all had strange experiences. We would occasionally see movement outside of one window. We would sometimes here light music and unexplained noises at night when we were in bed. I was home alone and smelled a perfume a couple of times. There were times when our dog was laying in front of us while we were watching tv and he would suddenly stare into the other room with his hair standing up on his back and growling. During these experiences we never felt threatened or afraid. We felt a presence but didn't feel it as hostile towards us.
    We had these experiences our first couple years after moving in and haven't had any for several years. I don't know what to make of it. Maybe these things stopped because they figure their house is safe with us?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    1) I remember that when I was a baby and toddler, my grandmother used to come visit me alot and play with me when I was in my crib. We had all sorts of fun together and she always made me laugh. She stopped coming around as much as I got older. When I was about 5, my mother mentioned something about Grandma being blind, and I insisted that she was NOT blind. My mother and I had a very interesting conversation and she showed me some pictures and I pointed out her mother in them. At some point in the conversation, I learned that my grandmother had died two years before I was born! [edited to add - My mother told me she often got the creeps watching me laugh and interact with someobody who wasn't there and after this day, it all made sense to her]
    This reminds me of a story told by my wife's aunt. When her daughter was about 3 or so, she was talking to somebody that wasn't there. Just playing etc... like a toddler would do. Anyways, after a little while, her mom asks her, "Who are you talking to?". Her reply was, "Grandpa and me are playing!". Grandpa had died before she was even born... her mom found it odd that she was playing with somebody she had never known. So her mom asked her, "What does grandpa look like?". She went on to describe grandpa exactly, she even got the glasses right...

Creepy... but at the same time, sort of a good thing...

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Early to mid 90's we moved into a house here in town. The previous owners had started to remodel, it was almost complete except for the sheetrock in one room.
    My kids where young, the oldest was maybe 10 and the youngest was maybe 3. They would come down stairs all the time because they heard me calling them. My wife would get pinned to the bed almost nightly. one night the garage doors were going up and down, 2 doors first 1 would go up then the other, then back down one at a time. I finally had to go unplug them.

I was working nights when this one happened. I would come in at about 12:00 and my 3 yr old would be sleeping in my bed every night. I would say his name turn on the light and carry him to bed, every night.
    So my wife hears me say his name, and shes waiting for the light to go on..nothing. She looks over at the alarm clock and I wont be home for another hour.
    Now at this time I had started working days and my wife had went to working nights. Im sitting on the couch in the front room watching t.v. And something kept telling me to go look in the basement, now the basement was only 10'x10', had the furnace and water heater in it. The water heater is electric, I turn the light on, open the door and the basement is filled with smoke, the ele. water heater has shorted out one of the heating elements and the wires are smoldering.

When we moved out we find out from the people we bought the house from that they too were experiencing things.. hearing stuff and being pinned to the bed.
    The neighbor comes over and tells us the original part of the house used to be a funeral home. He says he lived there when he was a kid, His Dad molested his sister there and used to "pin " her to the bed. wanted to know if we ever saw what the "spirit" looked like.

Top Bottom