• ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Neither do most hams. Have you SEEN the websites of some of these clubs/repeater groups? Geez. Straight outta 1990.

Webmaster is it on my resume ,(back when that was a title )
    Been in IT 14-15 years.

I prefer some of those web 1.0 webpages over newer stuff.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Just got my new antenna to put up in the back yard. I'll try to get it up tomorrow. I want to see if it'll help me get into a couple repeaters. I can hit 146.700 but it is weak from my ht.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

Talonap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Ill Annoys (IL) For now
    The hobby has a LOT of competition now that it didn't have back then. I remember using the phone patches on the local repeaters back in the day...one night a guy called to check in with his wife and man she let him have it for being late...laughed so hard I almost drove off the road.

I'd be interested in a INGO ham radio club too...might make more sense to make it a virtual club...put up a website, and have meetings once a month via Zoom. Lot's of virtual clubs out there now. That way ops from all over the state could join in and participate.

Something to kick around. I know nothing about setting up a web site.

There's also Echolink. Can QSO through PC for free all over the world. (They do check your license before letting you download the program.) Introducing EchoLink

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    There's also Echolink. Can QSO through PC for free all over the world. (They do check your license before letting you download the program.) Introducing EchoLink

I've had Echolink installed on my computer for years....and I can count on two hands the number of times I've actually found someone to talk to. Seems to be very popular in Asia though...I don't speak Asian.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I've had Echolink installed on my computer for years....and I can count on two hands the number of times I've actually found someone to talk to. Seems to be very popular in Asia though...I don't speak Asian.

Many years ago. North Korea was acting up with missle tests. I think one landed in south Korea or something.

There wasn't much in the news about it. So I hopped on a s. Korean repeater on echolink to see if i could learn anything.

Some guy from Colorado was chatting about bbq with a guy from Texas.

Talonap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Ill Annoys (IL) For now

LOL. I don't either. I did talk to a gentleman in London one day who was on his bike with his HT. On Veteran's Day, (I'm pretty sure), The American Legion had a net on Echolink for their anniversary. Members could log on and say hello.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm looking forward to start a new hobby.Still learning about the basics of ham radio.

Not sure how big of an antenna I need to reach Indiana. :dunno:

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Still been playing with my HT and learning as much as i can. Working on programming. Had they money set aside for a mobile to use as a homebase but then i went to the lgs and picked up a project. I plan on having my tech by the end of the summer hopefully.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Not very. how much room do you have?

How much room would I need?

I don't think I can get a huge mast in the yard.
    I'm starting with a portable handheld radio.

I assume I would need a really tall mast antenna to reach 4,000 miles, and a much powerful radio than a cheap handheld one.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Remote online testing is now being given by four of the VEC groups. Most are charging $15 and they have different rules.

Anchorage ARC VEC Group

ARRL VEC Group

W5YI VEC Group

Greater Los Angeles ARC VEC Group

You can also go to https://hamstudy.org and sign up for a remote exam on their site as well. Not sure which VEC they use but they have been running exam sessions too.

Follow the instructions on the various VEC sites to get registered.

It appears the last LA online course is on Wednesday and its full, the Alaska one is the only other online one I see. The other listed above I don't see anything online or near us at all.

Anchorage online testing link.
    https://kl7aa.org/vec/remote-testing/

The list of proctors has grown significantly making it easier to find some one than it was a couple weeks ago.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    If you have two trees you can build a fan dipole. Can find plans for them online. They are relatively cheap. I built one and with 25 watt was using PSK31 (like IM on radio) to talk to Japan, Greece, and several others. France to Indiana wouldn't be too hard.

MULTI BAND HF FAN DIPOLE ANTENNA DESIGN

I assume I would need a really tall mast antenna to reach 4,000 miles, and a much powerful radio than a cheap handheld one.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

I have many contacts from Indiana to France running 5 watts to a portable vertical. Does it happen every day? Nope.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Coming across this thread reminded me to start reading the test prep books I got for xmas.

Of course I need another hobby like a hole in the head but could be worse.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

Using pure radio, you won't do it with a handheld, you will need a High-Frequency (HF) radio/antenna.

a 20m dipole is 10m long, 40m is 20m long. just a matter of hanging the wire between some trees, or putting up a mast (e.g. a flagpole, etc). Verticals are options also (even re-purposing a flagpole). I connect with folks in France all the time. It will get easier as we enter the next 11-yr solar cycle (at a minimum right now, which sometimes limits HF comms).

I have an "off-center-fed" dipole that is 66' long (1/2 of 40m). It's only 25' up, ends in trees, center held w/ a cheap flagpole on the corner of my back porch.

There are digital modes that allow you to easily reach around the world on a handheld.... DSTAR, Fusion, DMR are digital modes that you can connect via the internet. Raspberry Pi - based radios can allow you to connect from anywhere you have internet access. I use my Fusion handheld radio plus a Zumspot (rasp-pi computer w/ small radio) to talk with a buddy from IN to Baltimore every week... using only 1/2W handheld. ;)

-rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom