• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JollyGreen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Indiana
    Thanks y'all I appreciate it!! they said it would be around a week or so before I'm in the database! I can't wait to push that dang button!!! haha

Congrats! Where did you take the test? Online or in person?
    I’m looking to get my final upgrade to Extra next month if they hold the testing at the Salvation Army site.

Matt KD9FLZ

I took it in person! Type in your zip code ONLY! Then a list of clubs, and sites will pop up! I emailed a handful of them, Anderson was soonest testing date available. I shot them an email, and they said they were still testing!
    Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Anyone own a Baofeng UV-82HP?

I need a generic chirp config file from one to check some settings. Looking at getting some since one of the supposed lockdowns is to turn off VFO mode. Want to see if that is really the case with CHIRP.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a related note, Retevis is smoking some serious crack. Looking at a pair of handhelds from them, and they want $42 to ship them. (cant find this particular sku on Amazon) Seriously? Do they drive it to the UPS store and pay cash? Thats insane for a 2lb package. (And 50% of the radio's cost)

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Anybody know if there is any real difference between a standard 2m antenna and a "dual band" antenna? I've got an old homemade antenna up in my attic with a PL259 hookup in my office from when I used to be active on 2m many years ago. I kind of lost interest for a long time, but kept my license renewed. (Still a tech since 1995, LOL) I'm kind of getting back into having some communication equipment other than my cell phone, so I'm back into ham radio.

I'm currently running an old ICOM V8000 as a base on my attic antenna, but am thinking about replacing it with a dual band radio. I'd like to be able to use the same antenna. Seems to me it should work fine. I've checked standing wave with both my El Cheapo Baofeng HT and my ICOM 2730a before I installed it in my truck, and it was excellent on both 2m and 70cm.

Thanks!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Anybody know if there is any real difference between a standard 2m antenna and a "dual band" antenna? I've got an old homemade antenna up in my attic with a PL259 hookup in my office from when I used to be active on 2m many years ago. I kind of lost interest for a long time, but kept my license renewed. (Still a tech since 1995, LOL) I'm kind of getting back into having some communication equipment other than my cell phone, so I'm back into ham radio.

I'm currently running an old ICOM V8000 as a base on my attic antenna, but am thinking about replacing it with a dual band radio. I'd like to be able to use the same antenna. Seems to me it should work fine. I've checked standing wave with both my El Cheapo Baofeng HT and my ICOM 2730a before I installed it in my truck, and it was excellent on both 2m and 70cm.

Thanks!

Dual band antennas are just a label. Due to harmonics between the two bands, one operates at 1/2 wave, the other 1/4 wave. So you will either end up with a full or 1/4 wave antenna depending on how yours is designed.

On a related note, I'm playing around with tiger tails.
    KM4FMK.com - Tiger tails

Going to build a couple hammo cans as well this summer. Just need to figure out what this power controller is. (EDIT: Found the parts on their site)
    https://www.qsradio.com/shop-now.html?#!/New-Item-Hammo-Can-XL™-Complete-Go-Box/p/58978487

rhrlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2020
    Carmel
    Anyone own a Baofeng UV-82HP?

I need a generic chirp config file from one to check some settings. Looking at getting some since one of the supposed lockdowns is to turn off VFO mode. Want to see if that is really the case with CHIRP.

I own one just as part of my emergency kit. Can you explain what you meant by VFO lockdowns?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I own one just as part of my emergency kit. Can you explain what you meant by VFO lockdowns?

Make it so that you cant switch out of Memory mode and switch to a frequency not within the list of memories. Essentially make the radio ONLY function on the memory channels and to change it MUST be programmed externally. (or at least go into the menus and turn it back off again.) I'm more concerned with accidental activation of VFO than doing so with a purpose.)

prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    Hello everyone, I just got my tech license. I haven't been on the air for decades and wanted to get back on the saddle. Can anyone suggest a starter rig that I can set up? There are so many out there. I just wanted to look at suggestions. And since I have the tech license now, would it be wise to go for the general license when I havent even gotten my feet wet with my current license. Any advice is well appreciated

LG Palanca
    KD9LEL

Top Bottom