• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    When I was a kid, I remember at the first reports of Iraq invading Kuwait came from reports from HAM radio operators ( according to the news stations }. I've always had a minor interest since then. Just never moved on it.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    a bit of self promotion, check the link in my signature for info on how to get started. Feel free to ask all the questions you may have.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    Hey guys. I don't mean to thread-jack but I got a question on license renewal. I recently renewed my and my son's licenses (Extra and General) on-line using the FCC's ULS. As you probably know, after it has been processed you can print out a reference copy of your license. But since the reference copy isn't legal for posting in your shack, how do you go about getting your actual license? I seem to remember something about a fee or something. I just don't remember how or who to contact.
    Thanks!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Hey guys. I don't mean to thread-jack but I got a question on license renewal. I recently renewed my and my son's licenses (Extra and General) on-line using the FCC's ULS. As you probably know, after it has been processed you can print out a reference copy of your license. But since the reference copy isn't legal for posting in your shack, how do you go about getting your actual license? I seem to remember something about a fee or something. I just don't remember how or who to contact.
    Thanks!

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/VEs/Obtain License Copy 2019.pdf

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So the storms last night made me think on my feet and rig up a temporary battery for my base station. In the middle of a weathe net, where my handheld can only reach the repeater if Im next to a north facing window, we lost power. I'm in the middle of making a hammocan, but its nowhere near finished. So I had to dig through the parts bin for that project and find the cables and jumpers I have alreaday created for the 'can.

In about 5 minutes I was back on the air connected to my 12/12 battery instead of the AC power supply.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    So the storms last night made me think on my feet and rig up a temporary battery for my base station. In the middle of a weathe net, where my handheld can only reach the repeater if Im next to a north facing window, we lost power. I'm in the middle of making a hammocan, but its nowhere near finished. So I had to dig through the parts bin for that project and find the cables and jumpers I have alreaday created for the 'can.

In about 5 minutes I was back on the air connected to my 12/12 battery instead of the AC power supply.

The storm has me thinking too. For whatever reason my power supply took a dump on me just as I was starting the CERT net on our alternate repeater. By the time I figured out what happened, it was too late to get it going as everyone seemed to have moved on or was monitoring the weather net.
    I think I want to set up a battery back up system that will automatically change from ac to battery without my radio losing power. I have a line on some 40-70ah 12v batteries and a battery management system.
    Its a bit expensive ($400ish) but I think it will keep me going for quite a while in event of extended power outage. With these batteries, I’m also considering installing some 12v emergency lights in the house that will come on in event of power loss.

Matt

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just remember to ditch your PSU and go straight to the batteries. The inverter wastes more energy than it delivers so you will be VERY inefficient.

In my case I just grabbed the powerpole connector on the radio, disconnected it from the PSU, and patched it straight through to my battery.

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    What are you in need of?

Well, ultimately, there are a few of us who would like to add in Amateur Radio to our Preps. Would like to discuss with someone the best route to go. We understand we need to take the basic test(s) and all, but really have no idea what would be the best way to proceed after that.

We're not exactly sure how well "Nah, we're just a bunch of old survivalists out looking for a way to communicate after the Zombie Apocalypse (or November 4th, 2020) happens" will be received.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    There are a few resources in the link in my sig line.

However if you are wanting to have a chat with someone vs looking at links on a page. I'd be happy have a zoom call with y'all. I'll do my best to answer your questions and point you in the right direction

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    There are a few resources in the link in my sig line.

However if you are wanting to have a chat with someone vs looking at links on a page. I'd be happy have a zoom call with y'all. I'll do my best to answer your questions and point you in the right direction

Well, a lot of the problem is we're not even sure what questions to ask. Basic radio use is one thing, but some of the equipment have so many options and capabilities that we're rather overwhelmed with what we want to ask.

That was one of the reasons we want to find someone down here. An evening over adult beverages and properly-charred cow would probably benefit us more than anything.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well, a lot of the problem is we're not even sure what questions to ask. Basic radio use is one thing, but some of the equipment have so many options and capabilities that we're rather overwhelmed with what we want to ask.

That was one of the reasons we want to find someone down here. An evening over adult beverages and properly-charred cow would probably benefit us more than anything.

Start studying. Questions will come to mind as you go. Trust me.

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    Ok, ultimately the problem I have is I don't know how receptive any existing hams will be when I explain that the primary reason I'm interested in amateur radio is for communications and situational awareness during a disaster. I'm Old School in that I still believe survivalism continues to carry a bit of a stigma about it.

So, what I've decided to do is basically just go ahead and take the basic licensing text along with other members of our group and try to move forward with our plans.

I'll go ahead and present what I need (or, at least, think I need) and my original ideas on how to go about it and you guys can shoot it down and/or make other suggestions.

The situation, as I currently see it, is as such:

We have a group of like-minded individuals who have two major needs in the communication portion of our plans. The first is a way to communicate that is not dependent upon externallly-controlled technology such as cell-phones, texting or internet. We have already seen where these methods have been shut down either directly via the disaster (think of a tornado or earthquake) or by those who have the ability to turn it off. In many areas where rioting is currently occurring, the powers-that-be are limiting access to cellphone and internet services. . .so much so that a cottage-industry is rising to create alternate data- and text-sharing networks.

The second need is intelligence-gathering. We know that hams have, in the past, been able to get information out of (and into) an affected area much better than any other form of media or news agency.

Being in an affected area with access to an amateur radio means that members of our group have the ability to communicate with one another to organize assisted extractions or coordinate evacuations with each other without having to worry about Ma Bell flipping a switch.

As a general parameter, the members of our group who live farthest away from each other is just shy of 22 miles. We'd like to be able to maintain some form of secure (not encryption, but ability to guarantee access) radio communications within that distance.

Now, our idea was to use some of the micro-radios such as the Yaesu FT-60. . .something that can be kept in a purse or Get-Home-Bag, but we know that won't reach the full distance of 22 miles (or we assume so), so we'd probably need something along the lines of one or more repeaters. All of us own our homes and BOL's, and the greatest distance we'd have to cover is about 15 miles between two of the homes. We would have no problems (other than city ordinances for those who live in town) with equipment or towers. All of us are already set up with solar and generator power back-ups, so if the grid goes down because of anything short of a super-EMP we will have the ability to power the repeaters and charge batteries for the handhelds.

One discussion was also brought up involving each of our vehicles being set up as mobile repeaters to boost the handhelds when away from the homes or BOL areas since almost all of us live/work/play within a mile of wherever we park. We don't, however, know if this is permitted or feasible.

So, the following questions pop into mind:

1. Is this even possible?

2. Can this be done with the basic Technician's license? Other than the presumable permits necessary for erecting an appropriate-sized tower with antenna (or using alternate, lower-profile antennae), are there any other licensing requirements to accomplish this?

3. What are we missing?

Thank you all for your patience and assistance, of you choose to exercise either.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Ok, ultimately the problem I have is I don't know how receptive any existing hams will be when I explain that the primary reason I'm interested in amateur radio is for communications and situational awareness during a disaster. I'm Old School in that I still believe survivalism continues to carry a bit of a stigma about it.

So, what I've decided to do is basically just go ahead and take the basic licensing text along with other members of our group and try to move forward with our plans.

I'll go ahead and present what I need (or, at least, think I need) and my original ideas on how to go about it and you guys can shoot it down and/or make other suggestions.

The situation, as I currently see it, is as such:

We have a group of like-minded individuals who have two major needs in the communication portion of our plans. The first is a way to communicate that is not dependent upon externallly-controlled technology such as cell-phones, texting or internet. We have already seen where these methods have been shut down either directly via the disaster (think of a tornado or earthquake) or by those who have the ability to turn it off. In many areas where rioting is currently occurring, the powers-that-be are limiting access to cellphone and internet services. . .so much so that a cottage-industry is rising to create alternate data- and text-sharing networks.

The second need is intelligence-gathering. We know that hams have, in the past, been able to get information out of (and into) an affected area much better than any other form of media or news agency.

Being in an affected area with access to an amateur radio means that members of our group have the ability to communicate with one another to organize assisted extractions or coordinate evacuations with each other without having to worry about Ma Bell flipping a switch.

As a general parameter, the members of our group who live farthest away from each other is just shy of 22 miles. We'd like to be able to maintain some form of secure (not encryption, but ability to guarantee access) radio communications within that distance.

Now, our idea was to use some of the micro-radios such as the Yaesu FT-60. . .something that can be kept in a purse or Get-Home-Bag, but we know that won't reach the full distance of 22 miles (or we assume so), so we'd probably need something along the lines of one or more repeaters. All of us own our homes and BOL's, and the greatest distance we'd have to cover is about 15 miles between two of the homes. We would have no problems (other than city ordinances for those who live in town) with equipment or towers. All of us are already set up with solar and generator power back-ups, so if the grid goes down because of anything short of a super-EMP we will have the ability to power the repeaters and charge batteries for the handhelds.

One discussion was also brought up involving each of our vehicles being set up as mobile repeaters to boost the handhelds when away from the homes or BOL areas since almost all of us live/work/play within a mile of wherever we park. We don't, however, know if this is permitted or feasible.

So, the following questions pop into mind:

1. Is this even possible?

2. Can this be done with the basic Technician's license? Other than the presumable permits necessary for erecting an appropriate-sized tower with antenna (or using alternate, lower-profile antennae), are there any other licensing requirements to accomplish this?

3. What are we missing?

Thank you all for your patience and assistance, of you choose to exercise either.

Are you near a repeater already that would be roughly central to all members? Putting up a repeater is an option but can get expensive. Handhelds would easily reach a repeater 10-15 miles away as long as it’s relatively high. (100’ or more higher than other obstructions. Antenna altitude is everything when I comes to distance. Mobile radios won’t reach drastically farther than Handhelds. Terrain and obstructions has the biggest effect on distance. Handheld to handheld are limited to about 6 miles across flat clear ground. Curvature of the earth gets in the way at greater distances.
    Not sure if there are class requirements for operating a repeater but I know that you have to be granted a pair of repeater frequencies to use. Indianapolis doesn’t have any available last I checked.
    I’ve given this scenario some thought, I just don’t have a group other than family.

Matt

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Mobile radios wonÂ’t reach drastically farther than Handhelds.

Uh...what? :)

I'm quite sure my ICOM 2730a with 50 watts and a 5/8 wave mobile antenna handily outperforms any handheld, with its maximum 8 watt output. I've got a relative with a beam antenna at about 60' in the air as his base and have talked to him simplex on my mobile from my driveway, a straight-line distance of 31.5 miles on 2 meters. I'm not doing that with any handheld. I can hit the Greenfield repeater on my 8 watt TYT handheld from my house (about 15 miles), but only on the 70cm side (444.450), not 2 meters (145.330). I can hit it clear as a bell with my mobile rig from the house, 2 meter or 70cm.

OP, you absolutely can use a 50-80 watt mobile rig to boost your signal from a handheld. Research "crossband repeater" functions on available handhelds and mobile radios.

My advice to the OP would be not to worry about what other hams think. I've hand my technician class license for over 25 years and have no interest in upgrading or most anything except local communication, weather monitoring/reporting, disaster preparedness and intelligence gathering. Heck, I don't even want to have extended conversations with my neighbor...why would I spend thousands of dollars on an HF rig to talk to someone halfway across the world...about ham radio? :):

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Uh...what? :)

I'm quite sure my ICOM 2730a with 50 watts and a 5/8 wave mobile antenna handily outperforms any handheld, with its maximum 8 watt output. I've got a relative with a beam antenna at about 60' in the air as his base and have talked to him simplex on my mobile from my driveway, a straight-line distance of 31.5 miles on 2 meters. I'm not doing that with any handheld. I can hit the Greenfield repeater on my 8 watt TYT handheld from my house (about 15 miles), but only on the 70cm side (444.450), not 2 meters (145.330). I can hit it clear as a bell with my mobile rig from the house, 2 meter or 70cm.

OP, you absolutely can use a 50-80 watt mobile rig to boost your signal from a handheld. Research "crossband repeater" functions on available handhelds and mobile radios.

My advice to the OP would be not to worry about what other hams think. I've hand my technician class license for over 25 years and have no interest in upgrading or most anything except local communication, weather monitoring/reporting, disaster preparedness and intelligence gathering. Heck, I don't even want to have extended conversations with my neighbor...why would I spend thousands of dollars on an HF rig to talk to someone halfway across the world...about ham radio? :):

Again I failed to type what I had in my head. My truck radio does better than my handheld but not drastically so when communicating simplex. The extra power and better antenna helps but still not going to make 22 miles simplex with a basic antenna Vehicle to vehicle.

Matt

Top Bottom