• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    A thread for all things having to do with radio fun within our fine state.

All kinds of exciting talk about equipment, laws, frequencies, if the police arrested a shoplifter at a gas station near you.

Enjoy. :D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    By "official" do you mean sanctioned by the site staff? Cuz there's like hundreds of ham radio threads out there on this site.

Nah he is just tired that some of us NWI INGO members are using the Unoffical NWI INGO Status Thread to talk about ham radio stuff.

NWI Ingo General Post - Page 334 - INGunOwners

:D
    So he would like us to move here instead but since he wrote this post for all of INGO users and we NWI INGOer don't like the rest of you hill billies south of us I'm not sure I will post in here. ;)

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    They're watching.

I vote for this being an "official" ham radio thread. Keep all the wannabes and losers out :P

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I've already posted my call here a few times but I won't again... but the last three are UZB and I'm a filthy no-code General.

cexshun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Portage
    I'm a lowly no code tech, although I can copy and send code at 20wpm. I'm mainly into skywarn, so I have no want or need to take any further tests. I keep to the 2 meter band with the lids.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    You should have a want to "upgrade". For personal improvement and learning which is what the licence is all about really.

But that's just me.

Then again I only scraped by the General test. I'd been a ham for over 10 years though back in the UK and most of my failed questions were on licence regs and rules (which I should've studied but hadn't planned on taking the general that day).

Personally I've always been a listener more than a talker. I'm into digital radio (P25) as well as satellites and software defined radios (SDRs). I love to tinker with stuff and have modified nearly every radio I own.

cexshun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Portage
    Im a tech as well. Id like to get involved in skywarn. My baofeng 2m radio is always with me.

Here's a nice online seminar/class/presentation on storm spotting. I found it very informative.

2009 webshow

I have a Yaesu handy talkie that I take mobile with me for emergencies, but I hate it. Way too many features crammed into a tiny radio with limited buttons. Each button has 4 functions depending on how long you hold it or if alt or F are pressed first. And then an additional 52 menu options.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Here's a nice online seminar/class/presentation on storm spotting. I found it very informative.

2009 webshow

I have a Yaesu handy talkie that I take mobile with me for emergencies, but I hate it. Way too many features crammed into a tiny radio with limited buttons. Each button has 4 functions depending on how long you hold it or if alt or F are pressed first. And then an additional 52 menu options.

I agree with you totally. It's why I love my Motorola radios and my other commercial gear.

You have at most: Volume, squelch, channel selector and a PTT. You have a menu but that's usually for setting power level (and depending on the feature level of the radio, you have that on a button too).

The cheap chinese radios are a step in between. They have the simplicity of the commercial radios with the frequency agility of the ham crap.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

2009 webshow

I have already gone through the Noaa storm spotter thingy, but that was a few years ago.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I passed written to general, but muffed the 13WPM, so I'm just a tech, but not quite the lowliest; I'm a grandfathered old tech. Yay me! I'd only studied the code for a month, though.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I passed written to general, but muffed the 13WPM, so I'm just a tech, but not quite the lowliest; I'm a grandfathered old tech. Yay me! I'd only studied the code for a month, though.

Do you know that the morse code requirement is no more. So if you pass the written portion you can upgrade.

-Jedi

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I agree!

2009 webshow

I hate the over complicated radios. The functions are at least 90% unused. If you need a book or a big cheat sheet to operate it, it is way too complicated.

I am entirely a CW, QRP, HF op. I have an extra class that I got 37 years ago. My wife is licensed and we will talk on 2M FM on very rare occassions.

It is nice to make the acquatance of the other INGO hams.

Terry

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Had a FCC First Class RadioTelephone (with Broadcast and Radar Endorsement) 30 years ago... Recently decided to get my ham license. (Technician)

Studying for the General, should have that in a month or two. Currently messing around on 2m and 440mhz. Gathering hardware to do more of the global stuff.

BTW: There is a ham radio group already setup on INGO. It is in the Groups or Communities area (don't remember what it is called).

Top Bottom