• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm not a lawyer (I don't even play on one TV), but that would be take on it.

Since its an apartment, that might depend on the OP's lease. There probably are rules encoded therein governing access by landlord or his representative. Might be some advance notification requirements but may also be other language governing when lessee is in breach

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Since its an apartment, that might depend on the OP's lease. There probably are rules encoded therein governing access by landlord or his representative. Might be some advance notification requirements but may also be other language governing when lessee is in breach
    There probably was extensive prior notice, it just all went to the other address.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

The OP was, as far as we know, not in breach of his lease.

Also: aren't there generally state laws that (partly) govern entry by a lessor into a leased dwelling?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine

But would that apply if the guy who actually lived in this apartment was up to date on his rent and not in breach of his contract in any way?

I could see this going very badly if he had been in the shower or something and not heard the officer knock or enter the apartment. Knocking once could easily not be heard if there is other noise that might block the sound of the knocking. If it were a police officer, shouldn't they call out and identify themselves or something?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    If that ever happened at our house, I'd get the last laugh because it would take 20 people all day long to carry out our stuff and it would take three trucks to hold it all.

Then, when we got it straightened out, I could take back the stuff I really want, and they could keep probably one truck full of junk that I've been meaning to get rid of anyway.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    First of all, if the deputy's job is to serve notices he should be able to damn well ascertain he is at the right address. In my younger years I was a bill collector and had to go into some rough areas. Never once did I knock on the wrong door. Also seems like the deputy had a little bit of attitude going. As mentioned earlier, the apartment management should have accompanied the officer. I see lots of fail here and would be quite pissed had it happened to me.

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    I also don't think expecting the apartment to have a representative present if they are evicting someone is asking too much.. [FONT=&amp][/FONT]

I was kind of surprised they didnt have someone from the complex there as well. It was just the deputy and the moving company. I asked the apartment management about that, and they said had never had this issue before so it never occurred to them.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    If he actually came into your place, I would see a major issue. But accidentally knocking on the wrong door shouldn't get him wrote up. Hell, I've made mistakes at work and so have you. We are human, cops included.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I thought before they enter, you first have to back up to the door and put your hands through the slot. :dunno:

Whoops, wrong procedure.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I thought before they enter, you first have to back up to the door and put your hands through the slot. :dunno:

Whoops, wrong procedure.
    I think in this situation we would fall back on the old favorite: Yell "am I being detained" over and over while holding your cell phone in his face videoing him.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The OP was, as far as we know, not in breach of his lease.

Also: aren't there generally state laws that (partly) govern entry by a lessor into a leased dwelling?

I think you are probably right that there will be some state-specific rules, but following is language from a quick internet search to find rental agreement boilerplate.

20. RIGHT OF ENTRY AND INSPECTION: OWNER may enter, inspect, and/or repair the premises at any time in case of emergency or suspected abandonment. OWNER shall give 24 hours advance notice and may enter for the purpose of showing the premises during normal business hours to prospective renters, buyers, lenders, for smoke alarm inspections, and/or for normal inspections and repairs. OWNER is permitted to make all alterations, repairs and maintenance that in OWNER'S judgment is necessary to perform.

ETA: If this was in effect I bet the owner would be golden and so would the deputy as his duly authorized representative, irregardless of the mistaken address/identity issues

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I think you are probably right that there will be some state-specific rules, but following is language from a quick internet search to find rental agreement boilerplate.

20. RIGHT OF ENTRY AND INSPECTION: OWNER may enter, inspect, and/or repair the premises at any time in case of emergency or suspected abandonment. OWNER shall give 24 hours advance notice and may enter for the purpose of showing the premises during normal business hours to prospective renters, buyers, lenders, for smoke alarm inspections, and/or for normal inspections and repairs. OWNER is permitted to make all alterations, repairs and maintenance that in OWNER'S judgment is necessary to perform.

ETA: If this was in effect I bet the owner would be golden and so would the deputy as his duly authorized representative, irregardless of the mistaken address/identity issues

It doesn't say duly authorized representative though. It says the owner.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Irregardless indeed.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    IANAL

Is there not a requirement to declare service of a warrant of some sort (or equivalent, such as an eviction court order), before forcing entry into someone's dwelling? Shouldn't a police officer, in general, attempt to notify the reason for a compelled interaction?

I believe in karma. I figure if I complained for some little thing like that, he'd be the officer who pulled me over next month for speeding.

I'd write a note to his supervisor, praising the officers handling of a potentially difficult situation.

If he actually came into your place, I would see a major issue. But accidentally knocking on the wrong door shouldn't get him wrote up. Hell, I've made mistakes at work and so have you. We are human, cops included.

OK OK OK, let us clear this up. This was not a Deputy nor an officer, it was a Constable. They dress like a deputy but they are not. They serve at the behest of the small claims court and elected Constable for the township. Indiana law allows them to serve papers and have LE powers but ZERO training. Soooooo, a complaint will have to go to the Township court from where the eviction originated and it does not have to be the same township that the apartment is located. Ask the manager which court they take all their eviction cases to. They are a PITA to deal with since they answer to no one other than the elected Constable. They even drive their own cars but are allowed to have emergency equipment.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Wow, didn't know constable was a thing. Thanks Denny

and OP, perhaps you would have had a minor inconvenience and a big lawsuit. Maybe you should have gone to work today.

follow-up: were you actually sick?

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    OK OK OK, let us clear this up. This was not a Deputy nor an officer, it was a Constable. They dress like a deputy but they are not. They serve at the behest of the small claims court and elected Constable for the township. Indiana law allows them to serve papers and have LE powers but ZERO training. Soooooo, a complaint will have to go to the Township court from where the eviction originated and it does not have to be the same township that the apartment is located. Ask the manager which court they take all their eviction cases to. They are a PITA to deal with since they answer to no one other than the elected Constable. They even drive their own cars but are allowed to have emergency equipment.

Denny dennyed the thread. How can we go on LEO bashing if the guy was not a full fledged LEO. Oh wait, this in INGO, bash away. :bat:

Top Bottom