• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    If you have to rent, rent from an individual or small land owner, Apartment complexes have rules about gun ownership and carry. There are plenty of houses avaiable for rent from good people. They won't have as many amenities but they would cost a much and will provide you a yard and maybe a garage and very little hastle.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Don't move into an apartment that is a 55 and up that rents a small percentage to younger people no matter how good of a deal they give you to help fill up the building!

lol you sound like you're speaking from personal experience....did you get run off by a bunch of blue hairs or something? :):

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    What about the houses on the south side of 465 in Indy? I see most for 900 or 1000 and up but there are some for 600-800 a month with garages. Are these good deals or are they low priced because of landlord issues or neighbor issues? I would even be willing to a little more south of 465 if the price and house was nice. Im moving next April and would really like a house. Thanks for any help.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'd be better off renting a older, run down house, than a newer nicer apartment?

Apt. living sucks....period. People, people everywhere and parking is not only sparse, it is deadly. Kids on the cars, vandals, theft. Noise, idiots, noise. I am not describing a ghetto I am describing many mid rent level apt. complexes.

Hold it, I live in Indy, maybe it is better in your area.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Add another vote for renting a house. A good apartment goes for as much as a mortgage or house rental anymore. At least in Indy, the only way to get a cheaper apartment is to live in a crappy neighborhood. Sure I could find apartments for $550 a month but I won't sleep safe at night. Before I bought my house I was paying almost $700 per month for a very small apartment. I pay just slightly more than that now for a 3 bedroom house. It was a no-brainer for me.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    88GT's right about rentals... a few notes from my neck of the woods:
    1) If the place has maintenance issues it's the sign of a landlord that doesn't know the law and/or doesn't care. Neither one is a good thing.
    2) smart landlords are always evaluating "what if Person X leaves" as they are evaluating you.
    3) I don't get involved in He paid/she didn't type of drama. You are jointly and severally liable to pay the rent. One check. I am not responsible for your cohabitational happiness - that's YOUR job.
    4) The criteria that I use as a landlord STRONGLY favor a lack of Drama. I don't raise alpacas, and the Drama Llama is not a friend of mine.
    5) While rents are relatively low here - it does take more to get a decent houseover an apartment. sometimes not by a lot - but it is more.
    6) Most of the pain of apartments comes from neighbors - so the folks touting houses have a good point.

mlzoiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    Good point. From the landlord's perspective it won't matter. And they won't delineate who is responsible for how much. That will be an agreement between the two lessees. However, if you default because the other party reneged on his/her obligation, he/she has committed a breach of contract and can be sued for the damages (imposed by the apartment for your breach of that contract) you incurred.

The flip side is if you alone are responsible for paying the rent, you have the option of "evicting" your roommates. So if things go south with the roommate(s), you aren't stuck in the lease until the termination date living with someone to whom you want to cause bodily harm. :D

As a landlord, I prefer single party tenants. Only one jackass to deal with. :cool:

Or even better...

Get married first. Commitment (lease) on top of non-commitment (shack-up) is a recipe for disaster.:twocents: Just watch a couple episodes of Judge Judy.

dcap20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    I would check the apartment out thouroughly for anything wrong. If there are scratches or anything that might not bother you, go ahead and document it or they will try coming back on you when you move out to pay for it. Even though its been like that the whole time

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Or even better...

Get married first. Commitment (lease) on top of non-commitment (shack-up) is a recipe for disaster.:twocents: Just watch a couple episodes of Judge Judy.

Although I would definitely think long and hard about it before doing it, not everyone who shacks up is asking for a disaster. My guy and I have lived together over 4 years and have no intentions of getting married. Don't scare the OP! :D

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    We have been together for two years now, and pretty much live at each others houses.. If we aren't working, or in class, we're together.. So this kind of seems like the next logical step any ways.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    What about the houses on the south side of 465 in Indy? I see most for 900 or 1000 and up but there are some for 600-800 a month with garages. Are these good deals or are they low priced because of landlord issues or neighbor issues? I would even be willing to a little more south of 465 if the price and house was nice. Im moving next April and would really like a house. Thanks for any help.

This is where I live and I am happy.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    We have been together for two years now, and pretty much live at each others houses.. If we aren't working, or in class, we're together.. So this kind of seems like the next logical step any ways.

Don't do it just because it seems logical. If it feels right and you want to take things further then that's a different story. Logic isn't always the best course of action. Logic would suggest that after the first child we had my guy and I would've tied the knot. Nope. Didn't feel right at the time so we didn't do it. In matters such as this, logic can often be your worst enemy. I hate to use the cliche "go with your heart" but it does fit here.

Top Bottom