• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stockman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    Putnam county
    I need all the advice I can get on 22 hornet. I have lil gun powder, haven't dived in yet. Did get a Foerster coax press. It's a dandy. Best primer seater I've ever used.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    seating depth for 147 gr. JHP bullets

I am handloading 147 gr. 9mm JHPs including Hornady XTPs and Speer Gold Dots.

Given the tight chamber of my CZ, my max COAL is 1.076, which is shorter than the recipe, which calls for 1.14 inches.

This in turn necessitates a reduced load (I have reduced it 10%, and then 10% of that) and then work back up from that.

My question is the seating depth is about .340 inches. I have seen elsewhere that a maximum recommended depth is about .300 inches, lest you get into the reinforced section of the casing.

Does anyone else load that deep, and have you seen any bad consequences as a result?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    .223--

Wolf Gold primed case (bought new)

73gr ELD-M

2.255"-2.6" OAL

22.1gr 8208 XBR

This is a no joke half-MOA load in my 18" heavy barrel AR. Very mild though, NOT a high velocity load ~ 2520fps

drbob93

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    South Central Indiana
    About FS Reloading.

Has eneyone bought equipmet from F&S Reloading https://fsreloading.com/g ?
    their a full stocking Lee dealer with rock bottom prices. Just wondering about service.
    Thanx in advance!

I have been buying from FS Reloading and Midsouth Shooters supply for all of my Lee Reloading. Both have been fantastic. I made a mistake in ordering twice with FS Reloading and they called me on the phone from Utah to make sure I wanted to order what I entered. I had not! Although I survived 47 hours of graduate statistics and mathematical modeling, I still can't do arithmetic or remember phone numbers. I tend to reverse numbers in my head if there are more than 2 in the string.:ugh: FS Reloading is an official Lee distributor, and usually has a lot more stuff, but I like Midsouth a lot too. Like to help the neighbors when I can and they are in Kentucky. I order powder and primers from them mostly, when they have their free HazMat deals.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Anderson
    Outstanding!!!
    I JUST bought my first reloader off ebay. Dillon 550.
    I have been trying to read up on the do's and don'ts. This thread is an awesome start!! I was lookin for commonalities in which components to buy for starters. And the amounts really, really helps. I hope to see more.
    Thank you for starting the thread and for those who have offered up the great info.
    Chaz
    I generally spend the majority of my time preparing brass.....sorting, cleaning, sizing and decapping, uniforming and cleaning primer pockets (including removal of the crimp if military), trimming the length (especially rifle brass), polishing, making sure the flash hole didn’t get clogged during polishing, then loading. Hopefully you already bought a reloading manual. Lyman makes a pretty good one. And take your time!

cswan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Howard County
    I am very fond of the following 9mm recipe, iv fired off over 2,000 of these with NO problems.

4.2gr Unique powder

124gr FMJ Round nose

Mixed headstamps

CCI Small pistol primers

OAL of 1.15

I shoot these out of my Gen 2 Glock 19

NOTE: DO NOT EVER USE LEAD BULLETS IN ANY GLOCK!!!!!! ONLY USE FMJ.!

picture.php

These are my first test rounds with this recipe and it has been consistent.. This group was shot from 40ft.
    I have a bunch of 125gr lead RN projectiles. Any thoughts on this recipe working with them ?

goldsmithr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    I had a thought that with so many of us out here, many have loads worked up in multiple calibers, and while adjusting this or tweaking that is part of the fun, we have some folks who don't really know where to start and are a little intimidated by the whole process and could use some guidelines that have the opportunity for feedback instead of the books that offer only what's written. We've all seen the advice to buy at least two reloading manuals, to have components be the last thing you buy, etc., but those manuals don't always answer noob questions.

So.... In that spirit, those of you who have really good, reliable loads and are willing to share, post 'em up! Please include all relevant information:
    OAL, seating depth, powder type and quantity, case headstamps (if they matter) primer manufacturer and size, bullet manufacturer and weight, finished cartridge weight, what kind of press you're using, and for which firearm(s) you're loading (and other info you might think relevant as well.)

Also, you might include how you came upon this "recipe"; did you start low and work your way up to this, just hit on it just right, etc.

For those who are using the information, if you have a question about a load, post it up for those too shy to do so, but drop the member a PM also, so they don't miss your question. (Remember: There is only one "dumb question: "Is it loaded?" which is dumb only because Rule #1 tells us that they're all loaded!)

Finally, if you find a particular load to be to your liking, make sure to thank the person who posted it. Rep is usually appreciated, as is a short PM.

Blessings,
    Bill
    I've been using .38spl., 6.0 HS-6, small pistol primers, 158 hard cast commercial swc (Kieth style, big grease goove) . By "commercial", I just mean, I didn't cast them. From local gun shop in boxes of 500. Decent mid-range in Armscor pretend Dt. spl. (I know, it's ugly as sin, but it knows where the target is! When I bought supplies last, everything was dirt cheap....brick of primers for about $38.00? Best hang on to what we have...quietly.

goldsmithr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    I have a bunch of 125gr lead RN projectiles. Any thoughts on this recipe working with them ?
    I'd check the manuals, but isn't it generally safer to do what you suggest, using load data for fmj with a lead bullet, than the reverse?

goldsmithr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    I am very fond of the following 9mm recipe, iv fired off over 2,000 of these with NO problems.

4.2gr Unique powder

124gr FMJ Round nose

Mixed headstamps

CCI Small pistol primers

OAL of 1.15

picture.php

These are my first test rounds with this recipe and it has been consistent.. This group was shot from 40ft.
    My 26 works O.K. but I cheated, used a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel (sweet). Yeah, you're right about the factory barrels (forged rifling?).

goldsmithr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    A few of our common pet loads....

.45 ACP

200gr Dardas LSWC
    5.8gr Unique
    mixed brass
    OAL 1.25
    Winchester LPP
    ATI, Kimber, Springfield loaded

.45 ACP ( wifes load)

230gr Rainier or Berry's plated RN
    4.0gr Clays
    mixed brass
    OAL 1.260
    Winchester LPP
    ATI, Kimber

.357 mag

158gr Dardas LSWC
    5.7gr Unique
    Starline brass
    OAL 1.58
    Winchester SPP ( standard)
    Blackhawk, GP100, Security Six, SP101

.357 sig

124gr Hornady FMJ-FP
    10.4gr Blue Dot
    Starline brass
    OAL 1.140
    Glock G32

9mm

122gr Dardas LFP
    4.5gr Unique
    mixed brass
    OAL 1.050
    Glock G19 ( Lone Wolf bbl), Kahr CW9, XD-9

.44 mag

240gr Dardas LSWC
    8.4 gr Unique
    Starline brass
    OAL 1.59
    Winchester LPP ( standard)
    Super Blackhawk, Redhawk
    Well, you've got about as good a selection of .357 revolvers as I've seen. Any one would be hard to beat as a "walk away with it " revolver. (really like the Security Six, and Speed Six!).

danatkins

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    While waiting to go to therapy for my elbow Thursday I went to the range. Had to shoot from a caldwell fire control since I can't get my rear bag under the gun with my arm. Slick bench tops so kept having to move it. Wanted to see how much better my sd is since switching to the intellidropper. For hornady brass and dies I'll take it. Not match winning loads but neither is the nut behind the rifle

140bthp hornady
    Hornady brass
    43.2 h4350
    Bto-2.690

22 inch Columbia River arms barrel with 360 rounds at beginning of session.

Think I need to clean the bore it's opening up just a touch
    27de84a36a86ecf547467c9405c6d086.jpg
    5d5db782c0c8db7fbfe0bc85be24029d.jpg
    2fb6c485dad54e052b3b4a9de84ae538.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Rosenbah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2021
    Springfield, OH
    9mm
    115g Speer FMJ RN
    5.0 +/-0.1 N340 powder
    CCI small pistol primers
    Mixed brass

This was my first reloading experience and worked well. It's hard to find powders and primers at a fair price but those are the times.

If you are hesitant to reload, read a couple books and jump in. I am glad I did.

Thack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Indianapolis
    M1 Garand 30-06
    Bullet-Hornady #3037 150gr FMJ-BT
    Powder- 46.5 grain of IMR 4895 (2600fps)
    Primer- CCI #34 or #200 large rifle; Win WLR
    Max C.O.L-3.340
    Max Case Length-2.494
    Case Trim Length-2.484

This is a conservative, light recoil load that is usually very accurate. This is a time tested load shared and used by many for a very long time, enjoyable to shoot and a very safe starting point for new re-loaders.

Luke.Schlatter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Woodburn Indiana

4.2gr Unique powder

124gr FMJ Round nose

Mixed headstamps

CCI Small pistol primers

OAL of 1.15

picture.php

Greatly appreciate the information this is very helpful to me being fairly new to reloading thank you

Jlong51454

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2022
    Indainapolis
    I wrote Berger an email this morning asking about load data for their 95 grain vld in the 6arc, the reply came within a couple hours.

Attachments

• image-May-27-2022-12-25-29-18-PM (1).png
      image-May-27-2022-12-25-29-18-PM (1).png
      58.7 KB · Views: 11

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    OK, feel like I’m sticking my neck out with a question. But here it is.

If a guy was going to buy a lifetime supply of powder, in my case I’m thinking about 10 lbs X 3. Total 30 lbs.

Could it be done with three powders? 1 for all shot gun, 12, 20, 410. Ga. 1 for all rifles 22 center fire to 30-06? 1 for all pistol 38 spc. To 45 acp.? If it can be done which 3 powders would fit the bill?

I’ve got small amounts of several powders but will soon be out of most. I want to cover my self for the duration. Is it possible? Thanks in advance for any opinions.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    OK, feel like I’m sticking my neck out with a question. But here it is.

If a guy was going to buy a lifetime supply of powder, in my case I’m thinking about 10 lbs X 3. Total 30 lbs.

Could it be done with three powders? 1 for all shot gun, 12, 20, 410. Ga. 1 for all rifles 22 center fire to 30-06? 1 for all pistol 38 spc. To 45 acp.? If it can be done which 3 powders would fit the bill?

I’ve got small amounts of several powders but will soon be out of most. I want to cover my self for the duration. Is it possible? Thanks in advance for any opinions.
    From a SHTF perspective, by limiting projectiles, I could get by with a few powders, Varget for rifle, Unique for standard pistol and 12/20 ga shotgun, H110 for magnum pistol loads and 410. In some cases, this would be a poor selection, but would work.

I really question "lifetime supply" and only 10 lbs each. For 30-06, you only get about 120 cartridges per lb. 223 you approach 300 per lb, but that means less than 3000 more rifle cartridges over your lifetime. 12 ga trap loads get you about 400 rounds/lb. Same with the H110 powder. So only 4000 shotgun and 4000 magnum pistol loads. Standard pistol would go further, but still be <15k rounds but that is reduced by shotgun.

I'd prefer to have more variety.
    Titegroup for standard pistol
    H110 for magnum pistol (and 410 if I ever reloaded it)
    a 223 matched powder CFE223, H335, Varget, etc.
    A large rifle powder such as H4895
    Clays, red-dot, or even Unique for shotshell target loads
    Finally something for 3" magnum loads, whether hunting or self defense (00 Buckshot).

--Rick

Top Bottom