• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Phylodog does speak wisdom. The idea that you don't have to enjoy your job is almost a taboo now. It was very commonly told to us in school to do something you enjoy, and I was thinking from that perspective. These are things to consider.

In any case, I've been doing some thinking. No matter which path I choose I'm going to be doing the same thing until roughly next August. At that point I can continue to four years pharmacy school (if accepted :nailbite:) and get my PharmD, or I can switch gear and do one more year to get my BSPS. Of course with either degree I could always still go into law enforcement, but three years is a lot of time if not necessary.

I still like the idea of law enforcement, and it's still on the table, but I'll definitely mull it over. I'll schedule some ride alongs in the summer and see how I feel about it.

Would it be correct to assume work life is vastly different between urban and rural departments? I wonder what sort of impact that difference has on job satisfaction.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Phylodog does speak wisdom. The idea that you don't have to enjoy your job is almost a taboo now. It was very commonly told to us in school to do something you enjoy, and I was thinking from that perspective. These are things to consider.

In any case, I've been doing some thinking. No matter which path I choose I'm going to be doing the same thing until roughly next August. At that point I can continue to four years pharmacy school (if accepted :nailbite:) and get my PharmD, or I can switch gear and do one more year to get my BSPS. Of course with either degree I could always still go into law enforcement, but three years is a lot of time if not necessary.

I still like the idea of law enforcement, and it's still on the table, but I'll definitely mull it over. I'll schedule some ride alongs in the summer and see how I feel about it.

Would it be correct to assume work life is vastly different between urban and rural departments? I wonder what sort of impact that difference has on job satisfaction.

Just food for thought.

A friend of mine's daughter graduated from Butler with a degree in Pharmacy. She only worked as a Pharmacist for about three months before she landed a job with a large Pharmaceutical. After two years with the large Pharmaceutical, she has worked her way up into upper management in their test facilities. She makes big bucks and loves her job as well. Of course, she was required to relocate and now lives on the East coast. So, you don't have to be necessarily "stuck" in the position as Pharmacist.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Just food for thought.

A friend of mine's daughter graduated from Butler with a degree in Pharmacy. She only worked as a Pharmacist for about three months before she landed a job with a large Pharmaceutical. After two years with the large Pharmaceutical, she has worked her way up into upper management in their test facilities. She makes big bucks and loves her job as well. Of course, she was required to relocate and now lives on the East coast. So, you don't have to be necessarily "stuck" in the position as Pharmacist.

Indeed. There is also big money in being a pharmaceutical sales rep (aka a "detail man" as my father used to call them). Of course, most of them are young, attractive women now.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I have been in law enforcement to the point that I will be retiring in a little over a year. I have enjoyed it since I started and a dream come true. Sounds sick, no I have always wanted to be a police officer. 9 years in narcotics, 9 back on the street and now a sergeant in motor patrol. It is nice because it allows people with a little "burnout" to get another position and still stay in the job.

What you will see is the worse that humanity can dish out. You don't get called to places because they have too many burgers on the grill and just wanted to say hello. Bad accidents, domestics, child abuse, meth labs and you get to go to places where no body wants you there. But every day you get to do a little something that makes it all worth while. You gat chances to change or save lives. There is the possibility to be a real difference in your community or your department.

If you like to work, there is most always overtime or if you really like to work there is that chance to catch that one bad guy who everyone wants off the street. You WILL run into people who over the years you will be chasing their children or whole families.

I have been shot at, stabbed at, rocks thrown at me just to say a few. I have been ran down on the highway. Would I do this all over again ... yup. I have met some of the greatest people as far as fellow officers. It is all up to you on what you make it as.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Yes, work life is vastly different. Much faster pace in a large metro department but you will typically have a lot of help close by should you need it. Rural areas are going to be much slower paced (most of the time) but you may be on your own for an extended period of time should something go south. I'd say overall less stress created by the workload in a rural area but potentially more politics related stress. In a large metro area, unless you're trying to make an appointed rank you can pretty much exclude yourself from political shenanigans. In a smaller agency you may not have the luxury of flying under the radar and simply doing your job.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Whatever the choice, it has to be up to you. Which job are you going to be happy with several years down the road. Stick with it and don't look back. Advancement, money, family, insurance all come into play. Best of luck to you.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I guess it depends on where you end up working. My cousin is a LEO in a smaller city in IL and he hates it. He had gotten his bachelors and masters in cj. He responds to the most calls in his department, out-pacing some 4 to 1. Deals with the same people calling about the same stuff. Locking up the bad guys only to arrest them again because they got time served or something along those lines. He is switching to nights to go to truck driving school.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I guess it depends on where you end up working. My cousin is a LEO in a smaller city in IL and he hates it. He had gotten his bachelors and masters in cj. He responds to the most calls in his department, out-pacing some 4 to 1. Deals with the same people calling about the same stuff. Locking up the bad guys only to arrest them again because they got time served or something along those lines. He is switching to nights to go to truck driving school.

I heard Truckmasters has a good program.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Truck drivers are in high demand and can make a very comfortable living. Get the Hazemat endorsement. You will have companies falling over each other to hire you.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Hang out at a jail or prison, these are the type people you will deal with during your career, druggies, hookers, child molesters, wife beaters, rapist, how anyone can be a cop is beyond my comprehension.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I felt a "call" to LE when I was still too young to apply. Over the following decade, I started two careers; neither had anything to do with LE. They were enjoyable, paid the bills, and I got pretty good at both. I got a little AAS degree from a now-defunct school in the middle. When I was staring thirty in the face, I realized I couldn't get away from the pull toward police work and signed up as a reserve. I don't know that I intended to become a full time officer at that point, but after a year I "couldn't not" be a cop. I was fortunate to be picked up by the agency that I had reserved for, and could not be happier. The only real negative was the $18k pay cut, and that seems to be working itself out.

I can't tell you to be a cop or not, only you can know whether the job is for you. If you want to get an idea, give up your weekends for a year and go be a reserve at a small department. You will know if it is the life for you pretty quick.

You will also discover whether you want metro or rural-type employment. I decided I really like small-town policing. I love small-town Americana, so it makes sense. I had a fellow reserve who couldn't stand it and started applying for all the metro departments.

Bottom line: Try it! (But don't sacrifice your degree) You can check it off the list or develop it into a life-long career.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm considering shifting my career path towards law enforcement, but I'd like to ask some questions if anyone would like to take the time to answer.

Educational requirements. I know that you can be an officer with just a high school diploma, but is law enforcement like many career fields now where a college degree is increasingly necessary to gain employment? What degrees are suggested?
    A degree can be helpful, I have one, but many guys I work with do not. Just remember, get the degree for YOU, not a LE job. I got a Bachelor in CJ from IU in '98 because that is all I really enjoyed. That was also back in the days where credit hours were only $90 ea. Now they are about $300-400 a credit hour so you have to have a good reason to attend. I get a whopping $1,000 extra a year for my degree and it counts for crap in promotions.

Is law enforcement currently in demand? Is there a lot of competition for job openings?
    Oh yeah, high need to hire but turnout seems to have dwindled over the years. We are having a hell of a time filling our recruit classes (according to a recruiter) with QUALIFIED recruits.

Indiana LEO pay seems to top off ~$60,000 with the median ~$50,000. Whatever your pay is, are you happy with it? Is it a "living wage"?
    Small departments, small pay, typically. Except for ISP, sadly, they are the 2nd largest dept in the State but have a very low pay scale. I've been on IMPD for almost 15 years, my base hovers around $75k as just a beat car. I cannot complain, I know Carmel PD is almost right there in our pay scale. I don't think there is a dept paying more.

Are pensions still common in law enforcement? How are the insurance benefits?
    In Indiana there is PERF, it's crappy. Insurance is Dept specific. Indy's insurance is crap.

Do you enjoy your work? Do you feel satisfaction from it?
    I love my job. Been a police officer for 19 years. I learned to turn off "cop" mode when I'm off-duty as much as I can and life is MUCH less stressful. I still enjoy putting the uniform on and taking radio runs. It might be time for me to do more teaching, time to change things up a bit.

All in all, would you recommend this career field?
    Only to those who have the stomach for this line of work. My friend left his job as a Lilly Chemist some years back and has never regretted the decision. We are serving our country in a civilian capacity, that's how I see it.

Right now I'm in my second year of pre-pharmacy at Purdue, and I just don't think it's for me. It's hard stepping away from a potential six figure salary, but there are things in this world worth more than money.
    True, but maybe a police officer with a Chemistry degree has a future in the private security field (who knows).

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    A degree can be helpful, I have one, but many guys I work with do not. Just remember, get the degree for YOU, not a LE job. I got a Bachelor in CJ from IU in '98 because that is all I really enjoyed. That was also back in the days where credit hours were only $90 ea. Now they are about $300-400 a credit hour so you have to have a good reason to attend. I get a whopping $1,000 extra a year for my degree and it counts for crap in promotions.

I hated school and never bothered to go to college, which is a decision I've never regretted. I've noticed those with a degree here make a little more, but the difference to me would not have been worth it.

Oh yeah, high need to hire but turnout seems to have dwindled over the years. We are having a hell of a time filling our recruit classes (according to a recruiter) with QUALIFIED recruits.

Our turnover is pretty high. We lose people quite a bit.

Of the six of us that got hired at the same time, I am the only one left. Three were fired/forced to quit, one of them is in jail, one left after he found he wasn't cut out for the job (great guy, just not police material), and one committed suicide last year (another great guy).

I love my job. Been a police officer for 19 years. I learned to turn off "cop" mode when I'm off-duty as much as I can and life is MUCH less stressful. I still enjoy putting the uniform on and taking radio runs. It might be time for me to do more teaching, time to change things up a bit.

Thirteen years here. I actually still do like it, but don't like where it's headed. I'm still just a beat cop and have no intention of changing that. Between midnight shift, SWAT, our dive team, being a firearms instructor, and a few other things; I am at work pretty much all the time.

I think the work is fine, it's the internal crap that keeps me in a constant state of irritation.

I will say the one thing that wears on me is I've always had "here are the blueprints, I need this built" kind of jobs. In this job we don't build anything with our hands, which is how I've always measured my days (how much and what I've done with my hands). At the end of most days at this job, I just feel like I've wasted my time, whether I really have or not. That isn't to say the shifts don't have their moments and the people I work with aren't great, I'm just wired somewhat differently than to say "I helped this person and that person today and it was awesome". It is one reason I spend any spare time I have in my small shop building knives and things.

Only to those who have the stomach for this line of work. My friend left his job as a Lilly Chemist some years back and has never regretted the decision. We are serving our country in a civilian capacity, that's how I see it.

I kind of see it that way also. It does take a certain kind of person to do this job and it is not for everyone.

I ***** about this job a lot. All things considered I would not change my decision to do it. I just can't see starting it now with the way things are going in this country. While the main issues will likely settle, the lasting results will change the job forever (for the worse).

Last edited:

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I cant agree more with signing up for some ride alongs or as a reserve. I started as a reserve immediately after I graduated from Purdue with a degree in elementary education. Got hired on full time within a few months. After 12 years I've moved up through the ranks and now I'm a lieutenant and patrol division supervisor.
    I come from a rural county department. Like others have said, small departments usually mean low pay. I make around 45k a year salary. I know I won't get rich where I am, but I enjoy what I do and where I work.

Top Bottom