• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Found the problem. Passenger side AOK. Tore off the drivers side and it was noticibly dustier and BLACK. And it SMELLED hot even though it was only warm to the touch. And about 15% less pad thickness. still plenty of play in the pins, so apparently the caliper was dragging.

Replaced that too and everything seems good. Damn I hate bleeding brakes! And even bled them a second time and they still feel a little soft. But Im a poor judge because my Kia's pedal is rock hard and uber sensitive. And Mrs Monkey is worthless because she doesnt notice crap. She cant tell a difference. (doesnt mean there isnt one) Same woman that in 12 years never saw a 20' tall 10'x10' sign for a tree farm. She has driven by it almost daily. :facepalm:

Thanks guys!

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Found the problem. Passenger side AOK. Tore off the drivers side and it was noticibly dustier and BLACK. And it SMELLED hot even though it was only warm to the touch. And about 15% less pad thickness. still plenty of play in the pins, so apparently the caliper was dragging.

Replaced that too and everything seems good. Damn I hate bleeding brakes! And even bled them a second time and they still feel a little soft. But Im a poor judge because my Kia's pedal is rock hard and uber sensitive. And Mrs Monkey is worthless because she doesnt notice crap. She cant tell a difference. (doesnt mean there isnt one) Same woman that in 12 years never saw a 20' tall 10'x10' sign for a tree farm. She has driven by it almost daily. :facepalm:

Thanks guys!

If that side continues to give you problems, it's likely the rubber hose. Hope you got it fixed!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    The last 2 sets of pads we picked up (1 for the truck the other for the van) had to be clearenced so they would move on the mounts with out a hammer. Damndest thing.
    Last couple sets I've changed needed that as well. I try to use top of the line NAPA or OEM.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think I replaced the hose too when I replaced the calipers the last time. But thanks for the heads up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Thanks guys!

When I was deeply involved in racing one of the Drivers for the team was Doc Bundy. He taught driving at the Bondurant school. He had some pretty well defined opinions of female drivers from this experience. I see the traits he spoke of in so many of the ladys I know. Late braking being one of the most serious issues. My spouse is one of those. She knows exactly how deep she can go before "Applying" the left peddle in a most vigorous fashion.
    Many have the mind set that the key goes here. The gas goes here. This peddle makes it go and this one makes it stop. Period. Nothing past this.

Please note that I said "Many" and not "All" the lady's. I do know a few that can actually get up on the wheel. (I do not want Mom45 to seek me out and hurt me)

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I would hazard to guess the caliper was OK and the line was the culprit but that's water under the bridge now.

yea, women drivers... While I admit she has a better official (;)) accident record than I do and she's not a bad driver, I drive a lot more and can handle a car 10x better. However because nothing ever goes away on the internet and I am married to her, I'm cutting off this line.

In general I'd say that I see women make more minor to moderate errors that are corrected by them or avoided by others (inattention, distraction, not following the rules, written or otherwise either because they're more important than other drivers or because they just aren't into driving and don't bother learning the ins and outs (kinda like I don't know much about how to put on makeup or care for long hair)) while men tend to be better overall with a few big oopses from temporary mistaking of the circumstances or environment (it looked like... I thought it would...). Of course both of those are trends not absolutes.

As for caring for other's cars, I once worked on a van in the shop: the oil came out looking like jello that'd been out a while and partially melted: some liquid but a lot of gel and clumps. he claimed it'd been north of 50k on the oil because it was his exes car that the judge ruled that he had to pay to maintain. seems to me that's a VERY bad idea for her safety.

Top Bottom