• ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I do not know anything about the lawyer in question. I do know Judge Coleman however. He is a genuinely nice guy. IMO he makes good common sense ruling's based on the facts. He is laid back and I have never seen him become agitated. Hopefully they can get this worked out.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, the case is over and Paul has come through it OK. He still received a penalty, but nothing anywhere near what the people on the Commission wanted.

[h=6]Paul K. Ogden
    [/h]10 hrs · Edited ·

ts regarding Judge Coleman in an email. That would have probably ended my legal career, a fact the Commission knew full well and wanted to have happen. The Hearing Officer agreed with the one year and no automatic readmission. The Court though decided on a 30 day suspension with automatic readmission a far, far cry from what the Commission and Hearing Officer wanted. In the decision, the Indiana Supreme Court decided against the Commission (and for me) on about 80% of the matters, including a complete rejection of the 2nd count of the Commission's charge, i.e. the claim I tried to influence Marion County Judges by an "ex parte" communication when I sent a letter trying to educate them about the process they're supposed to be following at the conclusion of civil forfeiture actions. I continually pointed out to the Commission that it was not ex parte and without a scintilla of merit, but the Commission refused to withdraw the charge and quite remarkably the Hearing Officer decided against me on that issue too. Anyway, I need more time to study the decision to comment further but it appears there is some good attorney free speech stuff in the opinion. Regardless, my hope is that this case proves to be a catalyst for the Indiana Supreme Court to take a good hard look at the operations of the Disciplinary Commission (including the need to terminate the services of Executive Secretary Michael Witte) and to insist on changes so that the Commission ceases its continued attacks on attorney free speech and redirects its efforts and resources to going after dishonest attorneys who are harming the public.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I don't think he should get the 30 day vacation, but it is indeed a far better result than what the Commission wanted. I've met Paul a few times, and we have mutual friends. He probably should have been more circumspect in some ways, but that is a matter of style. The Commission shouldn't be about deciding style points.

And, I hope they do overhaul the Commission. His was the worst example of selective prosecution.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    When you become a lawyer, an Officer of the Court, you agree to play by their 'rules' and agree to subject yourself to whatever disciplinary action is provided if you fail to follow those rules.

Lawyers and Judges insist that citizens play by their 'rules'. Why should a lawyer, good guy or bad guy, get to 'flaunt' that for his own devices?

At the prices lawyers charge, there should be very strict rules for their conduct, and the 'punishment' for violating those rules should be quite severe.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    When you become a lawyer, an Officer of the Court, you agree to play by their 'rules' and agree to subject yourself to whatever disciplinary action is provided if you fail to follow those rules.

Lawyers and Judges insist that citizens play by their 'rules'. Why should a lawyer, good guy or bad guy, get to 'flaunt' that for his own devices?

At the prices lawyers charge, there should be very strict rules for their conduct, and the 'punishment' for violating those rules should be quite severe.

If you have ever dealt with the Judaical Commission then you would know that the rules are such that Judges are the protected class and everyone else is a lessor entity. The rules are so stacked in the Judges favor that bad, corrupt, incompetent Judges remain on the bench inflicting harm but no one can say a word about it for fear of losing their license or jobs. The joke is when a complaint is found to be true almost all result in a private admonishment that is never published and the public never knows. Judge's count on their buddies on the commission to protect them. That's the sad truth that some of us deal with this everyday, seeing the wrong and knowing that there is little you can do.

Top Bottom