• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Interested in who on INGO that is running for offices for next election cycle.

I'm going to check out some local offices and see if its worth tossing a hat into the race. Have you checked out what offices are open in your area.

My wife and kids are behind me.......... So I think I have at least 4 votes.......

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Some one here would make great politicians. :D

I see what you did there...

One of my buddies thinks I should run for something.

Considering my last name is "Linn", he thinks my slogan should be "Linn in '10"... I think he's got a good idea. But it wouldn't be worth the heartache at home.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    We don't need any more stinking politicians.
    America needs statesmen (and women) in all levels of government.

Then you are going to have to break away from the 2 party machine put in place to prevent just this. Citizen politicians are dangerous to the status quo. You won't receive your party's report - which means no funding. Maybe you could get into some lower level local officers. But, to rise up, you better play the game and toe the line at which point you can longer call yourself a statesman.

I know, I sound bitter and cynical - that's not by accident.

To the INGO members that decide to seek office, I say good luck. Let us know what you think of the system.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    But the founding fathers wanted it that way. No more career politicians. Hell, George Washington even had qualms about being president.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm considering running for city council where I live. It will be for one of the "at large" seats because I like the attitude of my city councilman already (he respects the rights of the individual and wants gov't to be smaller, etc.).

If I do this, it will be as an independent. My platform will be simple: an individual's rights and freedoms trump the whims of the collective.

I doubt if I will actively campaign, but I might do a web site summarizing my ideas, opinions, and objectives.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    my father is president of county council. he doesn't campain at all and has been on council for 10ish years. he runs a one time add in the paper (i think 10 bucks) it says "im running again". then at the end of elections he runs another that says "thanks for voting for me" he doesn't do signs in yards and all that he just says "if they want me in fine if they dont thats fine to"

feriil

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    It's the broken system, in any major election you NEED party funding to campaign since we as Americans are a conditioned 2 party system for voting. Why? Because are are mostly LAZY and its easy to do.

So we are locked into a system where you do what the party wants or they won't back you.

In bigger cities there are too many party voters that unless a millionaire citizen statesmen (lol, right?) puts up all his fortune for that office he will get no votes. Even then he usually loses.

If you want to be a citizen statement, run under party, play the game for a bit. When you get elected, declare your going to be independent. Nothing the parties can do, your elected. And everyone knows your name now, do a good job and you might keep it.

On the down side while you got the job realize you will never ever have a bill or suggestion you submit put on the floor. Your blacklisted and you need votes to get things done. You'd have to have another major party member on board and sign his name to everything.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    It's the broken system, in any major election you NEED party funding to campaign since we as Americans are a conditioned 2 party system for voting.

That's a misconception. Most candidates at all levels, except for hotly contested federal offices, do their own fundraising or use their own resources. Parties contribute very little to races, especially to newcomers.

Top Bottom