• Does INGO need a Constitution?

• Total voters

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    3) There is a distinct need for an "INGO Statement of Purpose".
    I have seen several people post his or her opinion of what INGO is to them: a hobbyist site; a political site that discusses guns; a place to talk to Hoosiers. I believe there is a clear need for a "statement of intent" or a "mission statement" to be drafted by Fenway, who may at his discretion receive input from the moderators and members, to define exactly what this board is and answer the question "What is INGO?". That would greatly help us make the kind of decision we're trying to make in this thread.

I made that post some time back in the thread wherein Fenway solicited members' feedback regarding the Politics, Laws, and 2A subforum. Since that time, I have seen several threads which leant support to my suggestion. Generally these threads have been heavily related the Politics, et. al subforum and to how people use INGO.

Is INGO, or should it be, a "gun topics only" forum?
    Is INGO, or should it be, a place to find news on politics, laws, current events, guns, and/or weather?
    Is INGO, or should it be, a website that allows for discussion on all topics among people who live in Indiana?

These questions, or similar, may greatly affect how Fenway and the Mods determine what posts, topics, or members are and are not welcome here. It is my opinion that an INGO Constitution will be, and has in fact already become, necessary as membership continues to increase.

All for now...
    Caleb

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I for one like the format as it is.
    I love that I can have a discussion with members across a wide spectrum of topics.
    During my time here we have discussed (and spent hours) multitudes of topics that have nothing to do with guns.
    These others topics allow you to develop a better sense of the character and make-up of those you have discussions with.
    There are very many on here I consider friends, though I have in real life only met a handful.
    Without these other topics I can't say that would be the case.
    INGO feels like a family because of the range of topics we enjoy.
    If that range becomes limited I fear so to will the feel of the place.:twocents:

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Looks like a continued attempt to muzzle those in which we care not for their viewpoint. We are only happy with members that post about topics in which we agree.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Looks like a continued attempt to muzzle those in which we care not for their viewpoint. We are only happy with members that post about topics in which we agree.

That is clearly what is happening. However, this is private property and they can run it how they wish. I do hope they give up claims of fair and unbiased moderating, though. It cheapens them when we can easily see otherwise. If we don't like it, we can go elsewhere, we can choose to not renew our status as site supporters and withhold our dollars (which is the decision I've made), they can delete our posts and kick us off at their whim. It's not a republic, not a democracy, like any other private party it's at best a monarchy.

Last edited:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    INGO is NOT a republic, nor is it a democracy. It is a privately-owned site and NO outside control should be indicated save at the instigation of the owner. If Fenway wants to hold a vote to see about a forum function, that's up to him. If Fenway likes the status quo, everyone else simply needs to "deal with it".

Whose home would you presume to enter and re-arrange the furniture? Not mine, and I doubt Fenway would smile at it either.

Joe posted while I was composing..... oh well......

LotsofGlocks

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I like the way its set up now. But I dont like the General Firearms area to much BS. Like whos going to the 1500??? All that should be posted in the Break Room area. Just my :twocents:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I like the way its set up now. But I dont like the General Firearms area to much BS. Like whos going to the 1500??? All that should be posted in the Break Room area.

Except that the way things are set up now, the Break Room is for non-gun-related content. General Firearms is a "catch all" for non-specific gun related items, and "who's going to the 1500" certainly qualifies.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    That is clearly what is happening. However, this is private property and they can run it how they wish.

Right.

I do hope they give up claims of fair and unbiased moderating, though. It cheapens them when we can easily see otherwise.

I only see an effort to maintain order. I also notice they ask for the popular opinion. Seems fair to me.

If we don't like it, we can go elsewhere, we can choose to not renew our status as site supporters and withhold our dollars (which is the decision I've made), they can delete our posts and kick us off at their whim.

That could be the point. However, if they do not maintain order, they lose subscribers, which loses advertisers and revenue, which causes the slow death of the forum.

It's not a republic, not a democracy, like any other private party it's at best a monarchy.
    Would you prefer it to be run like the U.S. Government? Certainly you can see how that would NEVER work.

Last edited:

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    INGO doesn't need a constitution. Constitutions are for democracies. Fenway is our benevolent dictator. Long live Fenway.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Let INGO be what INGO is and what it will become. Like all fora it shifts from day to day, ebbs and flows. No "constitution" is needed to further complicate things.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I like the way its set up now. But I dont like the General Firearms area to much BS. Like whos going to the 1500??? All that should be posted in the Break Room area. Just my :twocents:

The General section has always had anything tangental to guns. The 1500 counts IMO. It's kind of a catch all "loose" gun related area.

Now the Breakroom....well that's for fart jokes and other non-sense.....

Also I voted NO on the constition:twocents:

:ingo:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I for one like the format as it is.
    I love that I can have a discussion with members across a wide spectrum of topics.
    During my time here we have discussed (and spent hours) multitudes of topics that have nothing to do with guns.
    These others topics allow you to develop a better sense of the character and make-up of those you have discussions with.
    There are very many on here I consider friends, though I have in real life only met a handful.
    Without these other topics I can't say that would be the case.
    INGO feels like a family because of the range of topics we enjoy.
    If that range becomes limited I fear so to will the feel of the place.:twocents:

Couldn't of said it better myself. +1

ok apparantly I've gotta spread the rep around first, sorry.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    In the meantime, why don't we all just stage a coup? All this bickering back and forth is getting a little bit out of hand. If you don't like how this place is managed by the owner, administrators or moderators then don't let the door hit you on the way out.

By now, everyone here should know how these forums work. If you don't like it, start your own. I just happen to like the way things are. Sure their are some disagreements, so what! Get over it! And I also think the moderators don't get enough credit for the outstanding job that they do, day in and day out, dealing with some of the hoosier yahoos that are here.

Give them a break guys and gals.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    things are fine the way they are IMHO

Why mess with a good thing...

Another vote for leave it the way it is; it's not needed. Look how INGO's grown....just the way it is!

Leave it alone is my vote, I enjoy the way things are currently.

I like the way its set up now.

Howdy folks. I wasn't suggesting any changes be made. I don't want people to think that by suggesting a constitution be drafted I was suggesting changes be made. I just want a clear statement of what the heck this website is intended to be by its creator.

---------------------

I understand growing pains but my opinion is that we don't need this.

+1 for suggestions to try to improve INGO. :)

Let INGO be what INGO is and what it will become. Like all fora it shifts from day to day, ebbs and flows. No "constitution" is needed to further complicate things.

Looks like you understood and addressed my suggestion directly. Thanks.

---------------------

... This is private property and they can run it how they wish. ...If we don't like it, we can go elsewhere, we can choose to not renew our status as site supporters and withhold our dollars, they can delete our posts and kick us off at their whim. It's not a republic, not a democracy, like any other private party it's at best a monarchy.

INGO is NOT a republic, nor is it a democracy. It is a privately-owned site and NO outside control should be indicated save at the instigation of the owner. If Fenway wants to hold a vote to see about a forum function, that's up to him. If Fenway likes the status quo, everyone else simply needs to "deal with it".

INGO doesn't need a constitution. Constitutions are for democracies. Fenway is our benevolent dictator.

I understand and agree that INGO is Fenway's site to be managed at his absolute discretion (with the aide of the appointed moderators because he can't do it all by himself).

But it sounds like you misunderstood either the intent of my suggestion or what my suggestion even meant. Let me try to elaborate.

Consider this: when a club at my college wants to gain official status as a "club" and not just an "interest group", they have to draft a constitution that clearly defines, among other things, what the purpose of the club is.

For instance, here is a link to the Constitution of the Ballroom Dancing Club. (No, I'm not in that club. I don't even dance. Or try to.) It states:
    Purpose: To provide a convenient way for its members to learn and advance in various dance styles. This club will also make available to its members information about social dance events occurring both on and off the Rose-Hulman campus.

More examples of our club constitutions can be found here if you would like to see them.

My point is that being a monarchy and having a constitution are not mutually exclusive. Having a written constitution merely provides a public, central location to find out exactly what INGO is, what the essence of INGO is... essentially, what "constitutes" INGO.

---------------------

This is not our house, we just visit. It's simple: Read the rules....and follow them.

We are in agreement, sir.

---------------------

Long live Fenway.

And may his bacon tray never be empty! Or the mods'. They can have bacon, too!

Caleb
    :ingo:

Top Bottom