• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Agreed. Goes to knowing the market on the items you are looking at as well. In the examples of other countries, the low offer was warranted because they were well over priced. Doing that on an item that one knows to be appropriately priced as it relates to current market conditions, yeah, that would get a hard pass from me as a seller for sure. I' not even going to honor that kind of offer with a rebuttal. Now if someone comes with an offer that isn't crazy, I'll come back with something I'd be willing to do, if other conditions (ease of transaction, location, etc) are good. A 50% offer is just trying to sucker me as a seller into negotiating from that ridiculous level.

Yeah offer me 50% of asking on a ground up custom built 1911 that I already am loosing my tail on and expect nothing. Maybe one of these guys if I know and or respect you.....:rofl:

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    I've bought a few guns off armslist, one being from a gun store and 3 out of the 4 times I have, I haggled down bellow listing price. I usually don't jump far down to insult levels, but usually like $25 off. When I bought a pair of M44s off a guy a few months ago, he had them listed at 325 each, so I offered 600 for the pair, and we found middle ground at 310 each, so neither of us were scheming the other and made a deal on some guns.

One shady tactic that too many people think will work is when meeting up, after you agree on a price, say "oh man, I just realized I only have X amount [where X amount is vastly under the agreed price], can you just make the deal with this so you don't have to leave empty handed?" Even funnier when you refuse and somehow that extra money just appears in their pocket.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    . . . One shady tactic that too many people think will work is when meeting up, after you agree on a price, say "oh man, I just realized I only have X amount [where X amount is vastly under the agreed price], can you just make the deal with this so you don't have to leave empty handed?" Even funnier when you refuse and somehow that extra money just appears in their pocket.

I wouldn't even consider still selling to this type of person. You try to scam me and then still want it? Go suck an egg.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    There's a big difference between a third world country market trinket and say a Glock 19, I bet you don't get very far coming out the gate at 50%

Yeah offer me 50% of asking on a ground up custom built 1911 that I already am loosing my tail on and expect nothing. Maybe one of these guys if I know and or respect you.....:rofl:

Both of you gents know how to price an item for a no haggle sale. That cannot be said for a lot of others.

...One shady tactic that too many people think will work is when meeting up, after you agree on a price, say "oh man, I just realized I only have X amount [where X amount is vastly under the agreed price], can you just make the deal with this so you don't have to leave empty handed?" Even funnier when you refuse and somehow that extra money just appears in their pocket.

As a seller, that is very easy to clear up before leaving the house.

"Just so we a clear, you are giving me an "I'll take it," as long as it's the item advertised, pictured and described?"

"This is not looky lew or inspection and decision and you will be bringing the cash in correct change?"

Last edited:

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    As a seller, that is very easy to clear up before leaving the house.

"Just so we a clear, you are giving me an "I'll take it," as long as it's the item advertised, pictured and described?"

"This is not looky lew or inspection and decision and you will be bringing the cash in correct change?"

To be fair though, pictures don't always do an item justice and sometimes when you get to look at it in person and see parts that weren't shown in pics, you could mention them and try to negotiate based
    on what you see. If you mention the reasons for wanting to renegotiate to a reasonable degree, and don't try to bait & switch, then it isn't an issue in my mind.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    To be fair though, pictures don't always do an item justice and sometimes when you get to look at it in person and see parts that weren't shown in pics, you could mention them and try to negotiate based
    on what you see. If you mention the reasons for wanting to renegotiate to a reasonable degree, and don't try to bait & switch, then it isn't an issue in my mind.

Nope. I give detailed descriptions with pictures of everything pertinent. More pics and description is provided via PM or txt if there is any question of exactly what the condition of the item is.

Price negotiations are welcome, BEFORE the agreement to meet. There is no negotiation or backing out from the sale at the meet, unless it is agreed to in advance.

Precisely why I ask for an "I'll take it," as long as the item is as advertised. If your not gonna give an "I'll take it" I'll likely hold off for the next buyer.

IF the item isn't as advertised, that's a different story. That's not likely to happen from an INGOer, especially with good communications, as they should be.

INGO is not Armslist...

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I used to do lawn care and some poor lady from sub continental somewhere came out to the lawn after I'd already started spraying to renegotiate the price with me. It was funny and exasperating at the same time. She'd already talked to a salesman on the phone,. And had another one call and reconfirm the terms. And now here she was walking around in fertilizer spray trying to haggle me down. We did not finish that job.

Jozenbau

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 29, 2020
    Wabash
    I have looked at plenty of items I would like to buy and can’t. At most I will give a compliment on how nice it is. Is asking what you’re looking to trade for and never responding again a common thing? Why not just offer whatever it is that you are willing to trade? Never know, it could be somethin the poster never knew they wanted. I’ve bought some on here and have been pleased with the pricing, compromise on meeting, and being on time. One sale I made, things didn’t work as planned. I got sent home from where I was that was a lot closer to them than home was. I got in my truck once I got home and headed back down and even further than halfway to make the meet happen. I’m here to learn and I have learned so much already. Brands that I’ve never even heard of. Upgrades I wasn’t aware of. Am I gonna use the selling and buying option? Heck yes I am. I got my fifty posts first and then paid the site supporter. I feel my prices are fair and I know not everyone is looking for what I have to let go. I’ve learned that just cuz it’s for trade doesn’t mean it’s for sale and that’s ok too. I don’t get upset. I don’t think most things are overpriced. Every piece is valued at what someone is willing to pay for it. Just because you see one on gunbroker for 200 and all the others are 500, doesn’t mean they should all be 200. That person could have gotten it for free for all you know and is happy with whatever they get. I do like to know if someone has room to haggle or if they are firm on their price. If it doesn’t say firm then I ask if any less would buy it. Twenty bucks is twenty bucks :dunno:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Paragraphs, my friend, paragraphs.

bright-eyes.gif

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have looked at plenty of items I would like to buy and can’t. At most I will give a compliment on how nice it is. Is asking what you’re looking to trade for and never responding again a common thing? Why not just offer whatever it is that you are willing to trade? Never know, it could be somethin the poster never knew they wanted. I’ve bought some on here and have been pleased with the pricing, compromise on meeting, and being on time. One sale I made, things didn’t work as planned. I got sent home from where I was that was a lot closer to them than home was. I got in my truck once I got home and headed back down and even further than halfway to make the meet happen. I’m here to learn and I have learned so much already. Brands that I’ve never even heard of. Upgrades I wasn’t aware of. Am I gonna use the selling and buying option? Heck yes I am. I got my fifty posts first and then paid the site supporter. I feel my prices are fair and I know not everyone is looking for what I have to let go. I’ve learned that just cuz it’s for trade doesn’t mean it’s for sale and that’s ok too. I don’t get upset. I don’t think most things are overpriced. Every piece is valued at what someone is willing to pay for it. Just because you see one on gunbroker for 200 and all the others are 500, doesn’t mean they should all be 200. That person could have gotten it for free for all you know and is happy with whatever they get. I do like to know if someone has room to haggle or if they are firm on their price. If it doesn’t say firm then I ask if any less would buy it. Twenty bucks is twenty bucks :dunno:

Boomhauer, is that you?

Top Bottom