Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    You might want to consider the side-effects of the drug, which are not mentioned in the article, before injecting your defenseless premie with chemotherapy. Side-effects include many severe to life-threatening reactions.
    From some of the reading I have done about this this a.m., it appears that many of the listed side effects do not apply because the med is applied directly to the vitreous in the eye and not circulated through the blood stream. That eliminates the GI issues, stomach perforation and such. In essence, it reduces the chances of side effects but doesn't completely negate them.

From what I read, the most significant side effect would be that, if the blood vessels in the eye are underdeveloped or damaged in any way, the med would inhibit the healing process of those damaged vessels.

If my child was faced with blindness vs. this procedure, I'd have to do a bunch more reading and think a bit on it. On the face of what I read, eye surgeons seem to be fairly comfortable with this procedure.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My oldest nephew was born very prematurely. The docs did something similar to this at Riley.

He tested better than 20/20 at his 6th grade eye exam, plays football and baseball and is a heck of a shot.:)

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    unless the side effects were mental retardation or early death, I can't imagine not wanting to do this to my child if it will prevent them from being blind. Blindness has to be one of the worst defects I can think of. I'd rather be a deaf double amputee than blind.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    The choice were leeches applied to the boy's eyes or modern, science-based medicine. My brother and his wife went with modern medicine.:D

don't knock the leeches, they are still used in modern medicine and are actually one of the best treatments for some things.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    This drug has a pretty common off-label use in patients with macular degeneration, a condition that occurs most commonly in older people and causes central vision loss and gradual blindness. I have also heard of it being used in diabetic retinopathy. Regular injections of this can slow the progression of the disease, preserving vision. So it makes sense that they are exploring other eye-related uses for it. As Blue Tile Spook pointed out, the side-effects listed are for intravenous usage , and a much higher dosage.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Thanks for the negative rep Public Servant. Exactly what did I say that you consider false information? You think there are no side effects to the procedure? You think that if it works for one baby it will work the for every baby? All I said was you might want to look into the side effects first. Sorry if that is too controversial for sensitive folks.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    My oldest nephew was born very prematurely. The docs did something similar to this at Riley.

He tested better than 20/20 at his 6th grade eye exam, plays football and baseball and is a heck of a shot.:)

That's awesome.

+1 for modern medicine. They can do some pretty miraculous things nowadays.

unless the side effects were mental retardation or early death, I can't imagine not wanting to do this to my child if it will prevent them from being blind. Blindness has to be one of the worst defects I can think of. I'd rather be a deaf double amputee than blind.

All of this.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    Thanks for the negative rep Public Servant. Exactly what did I say that you consider false information? You think there are no side effects to the procedure? You think that if it works for one baby it will work the for every baby? All I said was you might want to look into the side effects first. Sorry if that is too controversial for sensitive folks.

How come every time you post one of these garbage threads and someone who actually reads it then tells you that what was in it (you know, the part about the side effects being for IV use and not for what they were using it for here) your response is that you just put the "info" out there and let others make the decision. Sounds kind of like FOX News...they have no agenda either.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    How come every time you post one of these garbage threads and someone who actually reads it then tells you that what was in it (you know, the part about the side effects being for IV use and not for what they were using it for here) your response is that you just put the "info" out there and let others make the decision. Sounds kind of like FOX News...they have no agenda either.

...lol...

What part of the article mentioned side-effects at all? Sorry I missed it. You fill me in.

Let me guess, the side-effects are negligible. Until they happen to you. Premies are great at fighting off infections.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I may have to scroll back to the top of the page to make sure, but wasn't he talking about the second link you posted titled "Side Effects of Avastin?"

I'm guessing it's that same article(I didn't bother to read it, probably like you) that said those side effects were from IV use over a period of time.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    ...lol...

What part of the article mentioned side-effects at all? Sorry I missed it. You fill me in.

Let me guess, the side-effects are negligible. Until they happen to you. Premies are great at fighting off infections.

You are absolutely right. Side effects should definitely be taken into consideration. So, what are the side effects? The article clearly articulates the availability of a drug that could prevent a premature baby from being blind throughout his life. I understand if no other option is available, the result of not using the drug is blindness. So, what would you suggest?

Top Bottom