• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whippo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Wanted to get some help on what the max number of pistol mags/rifle mags/shotgun shells one might need in a stage. I am guessing you wouldn't use the max of each for a stage but want to be prepared to have enough to setup for each stage. Thanks in advance!

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I usually have one spare 30 round AR on my belt, a 2nd high cap pistol magazine and 16 shotshells in caddies. If the stage will call for more, I use back pockets for rifle magazines and front pocket for pistol magazines. Shotshells I have to borrow more caddies.

whippo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thank you for that, if you could please clarify what would the max of each that you can remember a stage requiring...

Sounds like 2-3 of pistol or rifle and 20 or more shot gun?

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    It really depends on your skill level, confidence, mag capacity and the stage requirements.

For those of us non-pro shooters using stock normal capacity (15-18 round) mags I recommend up to 3 pistol mags on the belt. I don't know what it is but when you add a timer in the mix a couple or more bullets always seem to just miss the target.

The same holds true for rifle and shotgun as well but I've never used more than 2 rifle mag carriers on my belt but 1 would probably be enough 90% of the time. As for shotgun 15-20 reloads is usually a very safe number to take into account misses and number of targets.

These numbers may be a bit on the liberal side but I'd much rather walk away with a mag I didn't touch than run out of ammo.

Last edited:

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    I put a spare 30 rifle mag in my back pocket IF there is a chance I'll need more than the 30 in the gun or there is a mandatory mag change, 2 spare pistol mags just because it holds 2, but I rarely need both, and an 8 round shot shell holder on my belt in addition to the 9 in the gun. If I need more shot shells, I have a 25 round bandoleer I can throw on quickly.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Most INMG stages won't have a round count above 30 for rifle or pistol. I say most because anything is possible. Small Steel targets 4x4" plates eat up pistol bullets. I've seen upwards of 24 shotgun targets at times. 9 in the gun and 16 on my belt, yeah I've gotten bit a couple times and ran out.

I would always carry a spare rifle mag in back pocket if for no other reason than the original magazine puking on you. I had a magazine on the first or second shot spit up 4 or 5 rounds into the chamber, it got crushed when I got home.

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    I use 2 pistol magazine carriers on my belt, and one rifle mag carrier. Shotgun I have the ability to have 24 on my belt (3x AP Customs 4x4 caddies). I almost never need that many at an INMG match, and only have that much capacity for major matches that sometimes include big shotgun woods walk stages.

For typical INMG matches, I would recommend 2 pistol mag carriers if you are shooting something like a Glock/M&P/XD with ~17 rd capacity. You can do just fine with a 30rd rifle mag in a back pocket provided it is deep enough that the mag won't fall out, but not so deep that you have to go fishing for it.

For shotgun, 12 on the belt will get you through MOST stages, considering we start with 9 in the gun. Personally I prefer ammo on my belt rather than in a side saddle or an armband, although they will get you through in a pinch. What you really want to avoid is loading ammo one at a time out of a shell bag/dump pouch. You don't have to be the world's greatest shotgun loader to have fun and be competitive, but try to avoid using a method that is guaranteed to kill your time.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    I strongly recommend a system that you can change around to tailor for the specific match or stage. Getting all of your equipment with Tek Lok's or similar would be the easiest/least expensive way but, IMO the Safariland ELS system is the best. It ain't cheap but it allows you to quickly and efficiently change your equipment around to be the most effective for that particular stage or match. In my 3 Gun bag I keep 2 pistol mag pouches, 2 rifle mag pouches, and several types of shotgun loaders to use depending on the stage set up. I had all my gear set up with Tek Lok's for years and resisted changing to ELS for quite awhile but, once I changed I kicked myself for not doing it sooner.

:twocents:

rabbitdave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    Quick rundown of what I'm running for my first year.
    2 pistol mags + a mag extension for a total of 63 rounds
    2 AP Custom 4, and 2 cheep 6 round caddies, 2 in a sidesaddle on the receiver. Total 31 rounds.
    1 or 2 30 round mags with Crye Precision clips. Total 84 rounds.
    All with teclocs so I can move them on a bladetec belt.
    Seems to work ok for now. Hope you are seeing the trend here.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Belt setup really depends on the stage. I change mine out almost every stage I get to. A general rule someone told me a couple years ago is carry enough ammo on your belt to complete the stage. Then what you have in the gn to start with is extra and you really should never run out. The trick is finding a spot for it all. My pistol holster is on my right hip, a little further back than normal for USPSA shooting. Shotshell caddies across the front and my pistol pouches are on my left hip, similar to a Production or SS type pistol rig (little further back than normal USPSA). Behind those at around the 8 o'clock position is the extra AR mag. I rarely sue it but its always there if im shooting the rifle simply for the CYA moment when a mag jams 3 shots in and I need to dump it. Occasionally I'll need it for a reload but its rare.
    As the stages change, so does my belt. Pistol gets bagged if not in use. Shotgun caddies come off if there is no shotgun shooting. number of caddies/pouches change based on stage round count.

Top Bottom