• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I guess I've been using mag and tray-fed bolt rifles for over 30 years--well into 6-digits worth of rimfire rounds--so that's probably relevant context to my opinion. I don't think there is a rimfire action type that I have NOT figured out how to feed manually, but some of them suck...and feeding singles off the top of a mag is retarded.

I'd rather have a solid bottom with no tray than have to maneuver around a follower and feed lips, particularly with a jam.

-Nate
    I absolutely agree that if you are going to single-load it's easier to have a gun that's set up for it. But why would you want to?

Feeding from a magazine is way more convenient with no real downsides, especially if you're doing anything other than shooting off a bench. The only time I've ever single-loaded anything is when my kids were first starting out, and that was probably only for the first 15-20 minutes of their first range session while they were figuring out the controls. Once they established some basic proficiency and demonstrated that they could follow instructions, they quickly moved on to a loaded mag.

With a bolt-action rifle it's not like they're somehow going to perform an uncontrolled mag dump, and IMO learning to cycle the bolt between shots (and learning what happens if you don't, and how to fix it) is an important part of the process for any type of practical shooting with a manual action.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I absolutely agree that if you are going to single-load it's easier to have a gun that's set up for it. But why would you want to?

Feeding from a magazine is way more convenient with no real downsides, especially if you're doing anything other than shooting off a bench. The only time I've ever single-loaded anything is when my kids were first starting out, and that was probably only for the first 15-20 minutes of their first range session while they were figuring out the controls. Once they established some basic proficiency and demonstrated that they could follow instructions, they quickly moved on to a loaded mag.

With a bolt-action rifle it's not like they're somehow going to perform an uncontrolled mag dump, and IMO learning to cycle the bolt between shots (and learning what happens if you don't, and how to fix it) is an important part of the process for any type of practical shooting with a manual action.

I guess I just like people--adults included--to learn how much can be accomplished by one, well-executed shot.

Maybe it's because I learned that way. Maybe it's because it's the right way. Maybe it's the wrong way and I'm just an antique. Hard for me to self-diagnose.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Our 4 boys and most of the grandkids learned on a cricket.
    Some are still small enough to use it, it's still in the safe, had it for about 20 yrs now

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

How old were your kids at that time?
    Some seem to forget the micros are basic,simple to operate, short, light weight, kid size Training Rifles. Its a beginner, to Train your kid.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Our 4 boys and most of the grandkids learned on a cricket.
    Some are still small enough to use it, it's still in the safe, had it for about 20 yrs now
    Us too, I find it pain full when some just buy a first rifle that's twice as heavy and 10" longer than a Micro and very shortly the child has no interest in shooting any longer. They just wouldn't get off $170.00 for a starter that will last generations and can be loaned out dozens of times until the next generation puts in back in service with in your own family.
    But think nothing on buying a 1000 to 1500 dollar firearm for yourself.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    How old were your kids at that time?
    Some seem to forget the micros are basic,simple to operate, short, light weight, kid size Training Rifles. Its a beginner, to Train your kid.
    That's a fair point. My frame of reference is probably off because my kids are abnormally huge, and I forget that that's not normal. My youngest is currently 8 and he is 5'2" 180. They all started shooting around 6 or 7, and had no problems handling a normal "youth" sized rifle. If I handed one of those to my 9 year-old niece she'd probably fall over...kid is so small she still rides in a car seat.

Top Bottom