• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huzyerdaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Need input/advice on a shotgun slug for home defense that would be accurate out to about 40 yards and have enough power to cycle the weapon? Anybody have any experience or could recommend a brand? Thanks in advance...

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Honestly, I'm not sure I can think of one that DOESN'T meet those criteria... Even reduced recoil stuff (which I wouldn't recommend) would do that.

But to recommend one, how about Hornady SST?

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds like he must be using an auto loader only thing I can figure.

I guess I meant to ask what brand/model gun is it. I know those low recoil slugs are picky as to which auto gun they will properly cycle. I have never heard of problems with standard slugs though.

Check this thread out. The video is very informative, the guy can be a little over the top and annoying, but I found this video very informative with logical reasoning behind his statements.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...uns_for_home_defense_myths_and_realities.html

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Don't get anything low-recoil if you are going to rely on it for home defense.

uhhh why? I have run federal low recoil 00 buck through my 1187P and the 1187P eats the low recoil stuff like candy.....:dunno:

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Wouldn't over-penetration be a major concern? Slugs are for hunting and dislocating your shoulder.

00=HD

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    uhhh why? I have run federal low recoil 00 buck through my 1187P and the 1187P eats the low recoil stuff like candy.....

Low-recoil in a semi-auto shotgun doesn't always work. The OP was asking about ammo that would properly cycle (therefore not a pump) the shotgun and for home defense I don't want to worry whether or not the ammo I am using will be able to cycle or not. Man up and use standard #00 to ensure you get the job done.

It's like shooting steel instead of brass, some guns just don't like it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    A slug would be my last choice for indoor use. There is a very good chance it's going to over penetrate. 00 buck can over penetarte as well, but not like a slug.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I would NOT use a slug for in home defense. I have seen a 12 guage slug go through a 2x4 sideways along with the layer of drywall on each side and still have enough energy to cross a room and go through another layer of drywall and the vinyl siding exterior.

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would NOT use a slug for in home defense. I have seen a 12 guage slug go through a 2x4 sideways along with the layer of drywall on each side and still have enough energy to cross a room and go through another layer of drywall and the vinyl siding exterior.

What did your wife do to you when she got home?

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    Wouldn't over-penetration be a major concern? Slugs are for hunting and dislocating your shoulder.

00=HD

Slugs will punch holes in walls and more than likely keep going. We shot some last weekend playing and they went thru 3/4 ply wood and a 55 gallon plastic drum before stopping in a tree. Personally I would stick with 00 shot great home defense load.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If I was going to use a shotgun for home defense, I've got duck and goose loads that would do just fine at the indicated ranges. All things considered, I'd rather shoot those at ducks and geese, using an expanding bullet from a pistol for HD.

Top Bottom