• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    I just received a psa upper and i was inspecting it and noticed that the inside of the upper looks gray and not black like the outside. I talked to psa and they said they dont annodize the inside. Is this common among manufacturers?

20130209_005036_zpsc0dd237a.jpg

20130209_005122_zpsd8704948.jpg

20130209_005050_zpsa42f9ad0.jpg

20130209_005238_zps38a2c02b.jpg

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I think it is anodized. A lot of manufacturers use some kind of dry lube coating on the inside of their uppers...... At least that's what I've been told. :dunno:

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    That would be hard not to anodize sine anodizing is a dunking type of application. They would have had to cover or plug it somehow. I looked at one of my uppers sitting here and it's anodized internally but not polished. Maybe that is the difference you're seeing.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That would be hard not to anodize sine anodizing is a dunking type of application. They would have had to cover or plug it somehow. I looked at one of my uppers sitting here and it's anodized internally but not polished. Maybe that is the difference you're seeing.

+1. That would take an awful lot of work for no practical purpose.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    BAD BAD BAD! PSA screwed around with me enough that I really am questioning their existence.

Alloy will gall like a mother if you don't have something to protect it. Think of Sig Sauer slide rails on their alloy frames: That anodizing protects against the wear of the slide as well the metal being softer underneath the anodizing.

No anodizing, no barrier. You need at least SOMETHING there to protect it. I would imagine PSA told you anything at this point to get you off the phone/email. They are so backed up with work, they barely serve the customers anymore.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    BAD BAD BAD! PSA screwed around with me enough that I really am questioning their existence.

Alloy will gall like a mother if you don't have something to protect it. Think of Sig Sauer slide rails on their alloy frames: That anodizing protects against the wear of the slide as well the metal being softer underneath the anodizing.

No anodizing, no barrier. You need at least SOMETHING there to protect it. I would imagine PSA told you anything at this point to get you off the phone/email. They are so backed up with work, they barely serve the customers anymore.

probably this was the e mail reply
    Yes sir, that is normal we do not coat the inside of any uppers. Thank You

does anyone elses upper look like that?

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana

It is anodized. The "gray" is a dry film lube.

Nothing to worry about.

Top Bottom