• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It's not only large, but look at how immaculate it is!
    I noticed that. I have the opportunity to walk a lot of plants, mostly automotive, and some are very clean like this one. I really didn't expect a firearms mfr to be that neat, organized and equipped. I would guess that these guys are one of the better ones. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the team there have some automotive background.

Or at least they are familiar with 5S and poka yoke principles.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Now I see why DD was among the few high end brands that could still be found during the height of the pandemic panic buying. That factory looks like it could almost run itself. My friend has a DD rifle and it is nice.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    So are these worth the 2x-3x price over your standard AR? There are a few at my LGS I'm considering before no one can own any ARs anymore...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So are these worth the 2x-3x price over your standard AR? There are a few at my LGS I'm considering before no one can own any ARs anymore...
    Personally I'd go with a LaRue for a few dollars more if I was going to get a high dollar AR.
    I should have bought one of their AR-10's after looking at what I've invested in my Aero Precision build.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Personally I'd go with a LaRue for a few dollars more if I was going to get a high dollar AR.
    I should have bought one of their AR-10's after looking at what I've invested in my Aero Precision build.
    I bought a DD5v5 last year for a good price. I think it is generally worth the cost and there's a lot to like. However, there are some head scratching things about it. The factory trigger needs to be replaced, the port cover is plastic, and the supplied mag didn't want to seat while the bolt was closed even while it was downloaded.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I bought a DD5v5 last year for a good price. I think it is generally worth the cost and there's a lot to like. However, there are some head scratching things about it. The factory trigger needs to be replaced, the port cover is plastic, and the supplied mag didn't want to seat while the bolt was closed even while it was downloaded.
    That's one of the nice things about building your own up from quality receivers. You get what you want. However, if you are not watching what you buy and just add on and add on it doesn't take long to be over $2,000.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    That's one of the nice things about building your own up from quality receivers. You get what you want. However, if you are not watching what you buy and just add on and add on it doesn't take long to be over $2,000.
    The DD is a whole lot nicer than either of the much cheaper AR-10s I've built myself and one could easily spend as much or more to build one that wasn't as good as the DD. Its just kind of annoying that they cut a couple corners on a $2000+ rifle that was otherwise very high quality.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Good God is that true.

Especially when you get into the "Gucci" stuff for little things.

I recently did an ultra lightweight build and after I got the receiver set / barrel / handguard / bcg I thought I was just like 400 bucks from done.

Then every titanium/lightweight aluminum lower part was around $50-75 a pop. Then the indestructible inconel gas tube was 75, and why wouldn't I go with that too? Then the fancy stock, bcg, buffer..

All in all I'll never think of the 35$ box for a standard LPK as expensive again. Or standard magpul stock/buffer packages.

But this random stuff aside I second your Larue option over DD.

Larue is extremely hard to beat in their price range.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Good God is that true.

Especially when you get into the "Gucci" stuff for little things.

I recently did an ultra lightweight build and after I got the receiver set / barrel / handguard / bcg I thought I was just like 400 bucks from done.

Then every titanium/lightweight aluminum lower part was around $50-75 a pop. Then the indestructible inconel gas tube was 75, and why wouldn't I go with that too? Then the fancy stock, bcg, buffer..

All in all I'll never think of the 35$ box for a standard LPK as expensive again. Or standard magpul stock/buffer packages.

But this random stuff aside I second your Larue option over DD.

Larue is extremely hard to beat in their price range.
    And I thought I got carried away… $75 for a gas tube?!? Part of me wants to look it up but the other part is afraid I’ll decide I need one.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    And I thought I got carried away… $75 for a gas tube?!? Part of me wants to look it up but the other part is afraid I’ll decide I need one.
    It's made out of inconel.

Not that my rifle needs it, but if you have a full auto / binary trigger / FRT type trigger it would actually be something you could benefit from.

Inconel is what they're using to make machine gun suppressors out of. It's extraordinarily heat resistant.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    It's made out of inconel.

Not that my rifle needs it, but if you have a full auto / binary trigger / FRT type trigger it would actually be something you could benefit from.

Inconel is what they're using to make machine gun suppressors out of. It's extraordinarily heat resistant.
    Ahh ok. In that case, it would be an unnecessary expenditure. I don’t have the money to purchase an older machine gun, the license to purchase a newer one, and binary triggers are actually illegal in Florida. Good to know if any of those things change, however.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Ahh ok. In that case, it would be an unnecessary expenditure. I don’t have the money to purchase an older machine gun, the license to purchase a newer one, and binary triggers are actually illegal in Florida. Good to know if any of those things change, however.
    I just bought it because I wanted this gun to be bomb proof. I don't plan on doing any 20x mag dumps or anything silly.

...But what if I had to? At least I could! ;)

Top Bottom