Insight into strange 116th street ramp closure just now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    So I was driving home from Downtown tonight and as I was working my way to the 116th street exit ramp off north I-69 I was surprised to see a State Police vehicle parked across the ramp access waving all traffic back onto I-69. I followed instructions but it was obvious as I glanced over that there was no stoppage on the exit ramp itself, no construction, no nothin'. And as I continued on I-69 to the IN37 fork it was also clear that traffic was crossing back and forth on 116th street across the overpass with no stoppages. After I took the 126th street exit off of IN 37 and worked my way down Cumberland back to 116th street it became clear that traffic between Cumberland/116th street and the I-69 interchange was moving normally.

So, anybody got any insight into why a seemingly useless ramp closure was in effect tonight? It didn't really cause me to go more than a mile out of my way so I'm more curious than annoyed - I can't discern the purpose for it.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    So I was driving home from Downtown tonight and as I was working my way to the 116th street exit ramp off north I-69 I was surprised to see a State Police vehicle parked across the ramp access waving all traffic back onto I-69. I followed instructions but it was obvious as I glanced over that there was no stoppage on the exit ramp itself, no construction, no nothin'. And as I continued on I-69 to the IN37 fork it was also clear that traffic was crossing back and forth on 116th street across the overpass with no stoppages. After I took the 126th street exit off of IN 37 and worked my way down Cumberland back to 116th street it became clear that traffic between Cumberland/116th street and the I-69 interchange was moving normally.

So, anybody got any insight into why a seemingly useless ramp closure was in effect tonight? It didn't really cause me to go more than a mile out of my way so I'm more curious than annoyed - I can't discern the purpose for it.

I have been listening to the scanner... I think there was an accident due to a ambulance call, but cant be certain if it came from the same location. I heard the call for ISP, DNR or anyone else to help since the "Ham" couldnt get anyone to the ramps, also heard that they were going to put something up on the INDOT boards... But since I am at home drinking beer and eating bacon, I wasnt paying as much attention as I could have.

So no, I have no insight.... Its just speculation

EDIT, looking at INDOTs website Southbound 3 lanes were closed for road construction.... I was wrong.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You could have got there just before it reopened from whatever closed it. I was once literally the first one through when the CPD opened a barrier, and in radio contact with the last one that was diverted mere seconds before. Colorful language was prevented only by strict radio discipline. Fortunately, roundabouts make for easy turnarounds.

Top Bottom