• ...and so much more!
  • Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    *Mods not sure where to put this, please move if needed.*

I just purchased my first home. It is a double wide mobile home and I was looking into putting in a wood burning stove. Does anyone have experience with them in a mobile home setting? Also, does anyone have any recommendations around the Indy area. The home is in Greenwood. This is a big step for my family and I have a son who is autistic so I want to make this a home we will live in for years to come. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    As a firefighter with 20 years experience, please for the love of all things holy, DO NOT put one of those things in a mobile home. When a mobile home catches fire, it goes so incredibly fast that... Lets just say I've seen some very horrific things that I don't even want to talk about. Not trying to scare you.. well, I guess I am.. but its because I care. Just please don't do it.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Use fire board on ceiling and walls around stove, install stainless double insulated flu, keep it brushed out so you don't have a flu fire.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    As a firefighter with 20 years experience, please for the love of all things holy, DO NOT put one of those things in a mobile home. When a mobile home catches fire, it goes so incredibly fast that... Lets just say I've seen some very horrific things that I don't even want to talk about. Not trying to scare you.. well, I guess I am.. but its because I care. Just please don't do it.

:+1:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Plus 2

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    I agree with not doing it. Maybe because I know all too well about life after a house fire that started with a wood stove. Also before you go any farther with this contact your insurance company and see if they will cover you to have a wood stove in a mobile home. I would really hate to her that something went wrong and you ended up having your insurance not pay because the home had a wood stove in it.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I haven't moved in yet. I am just now trying to get info. I will check with insurance company before I decide on anything and talk with multiple contractors.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    I don't even have a mobile home and my insurance company would not let me have a wood burner. they told me if I got one and any thing happened it was on me. no wood burners period.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When my uncle Steve lived out in Judson (Parke Co.), he built a shed onto the side of his mobile home around the back door and housed the wood furnace in that. It heated the place up like no one's business, but I don't know that the attached shed was all that much safer, since it was completely surrounded by cut, split, and dried firewood. Aunt and uncle now live in Bridgeton and have that same water furnace (I think) plumbed into their air handler there, again from an out-building.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Is it an actual mobile home or a modular? And you can also check out zoning and getting an outside wood burning furnace. It's an outside wood burner with a boiler that sends hot liquid to an exchanger in your furnace inside. They aren't cheap but if you're planning on staying their for years, it might be worth checking into.

ETA Here is some info on wood burners and mobile homes.
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/home...e-home-safety-zmaz85sozgoe.aspx#axzz3IF3b3PRb

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    OP, do you currently burn wood now or have you ever? Do you own chainsaws and have a source of wood? Do you have a truck to haul it with? Do you have a splitter?

My house sits in 17 acres of woods and I don't have any method to burn wood for heat. For the cost of adding an outdoor burner to a heat pump system, I was able to put in geothermal. I have multiple people who claim to want wood I have down but none ever seem to want to show up to haul it off. I think most people have a fairytale view of burning wood to save on utility costs. Somehow all that wood appears cut, split, and stacked for free.

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    I have multiple people who claim to want wood I have down but none ever seem to want to show up to haul it off. I think most people have a fairytale view of burning wood to save on utility costs. Somehow all that wood appears cut, split, and stacked for free.

I wonder if these are the same ones who also told me they wanted to come and cut up all of my downed wood for me. I have 10 acres with a crapload down. Yet not a single one have gotten off there rear to come and cut it. These will be the same people crying here very soon how they have no wood.

When we burned wood as our sole heat source we went through around 6 ricks per month. Our electric bill ran around $150 then. We were paying $40 per rick which meant $240 per month in wood. Now these days using an older electric furnace our electric bill has never ran over $350 for the coldest months. Our home is warmer because the floors are heated due to the duct work below them. Our home is cleaner and not covered in all of the mess from the wood. The smell is gone. More free time. And we are saving a few bucks every month. We are all much happier now.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I have a Lopi Endeaver in my house, and It says in the manual that it is approved for use in mobile homes. That stove is kindof pricey ($2500) but I'm sure there are other models that are similarly approved for use in a mobile home. I would recommend that you visit a retailer that sells wood stoves and get some professional advice.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    My intention is for the stove to be a supplement to the heater and a back up for power outages. Yes, I have a truck and chainsaw. Through friends, I have access to a splitter as well. I don't move into the place until mid-January so that's why I am getting information now. I called a couple places that were recommended on another thread and both said they install wood stoves in mobile homes so I know it can be done. But like many people have pointed out, I will check with insurance company and community to make sure that it is allowed.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    YES, it can be done and done Safely. 1st, CHECK what your Home Owners require and what they need for approval. FOLLOW ALL safety rules, Buy an Approved stove and installed by a Certified Installer. I heat for about 500 dollars per heating season and I buy my wood.

Top Bottom