• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I am surprised the county don't keep that ditch clean. I would honestly go talk to the county first. It would suck to go thru and do rip rap to have them come along next summer and clean out the ditch and your rip rap. Here in Hendricks County our ditch crew is always mowing along county roads and cleaning out ditches to keep drainage flowing. Heck, maybe if you complain about it, they will clean it and install rip rap for you.

Do you guys have county tractor that mows along them roads or is that just being done by homeowners? If you do go with rip rap, I bet that would be pretty easy with your tractor.....just don't try doing no handstands!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The county will come by a few times a year and mow the sides of the road but they don't touch the ditch where it begins to rise up and meet my lawn.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    That's not a ditch. That's a small hill. I would think you could mow that pretty easy. Especially if you wanted to buy my side mower.

My county mows on the side of the road in a lot of places, but hasn't hit this area for over a decade. Maybe complaining would remedy that.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The county installed rip rap down the road a few years back. It looked great for a while, but now it looks like overgrown weeds with big rocks everywhere. I would spray it once or twice a year and call it good.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Appreciate the insights. I was planning to talk to the county before doing anything. This particular ditch holds very little water, even when I have a river flowing through my pasture when we get heavy rains. The rip rap idea was just for aesthetics but also to eliminate one route the foxes and coyotes have to get close to our chickens undetected. We had a fox come in a month ago and grabbed a hen. He popped out of the overgrown ditch, grabbed her and was gone before we even realized what had happened.

PM Shibumi about chicken defenses, he's a professional. Living in the jungle has educated him in ways of livestock protection.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That's not a ditch. That's a small hill. I would think you could mow that pretty easy. Especially if you wanted to buy my side mower.

My county mows on the side of the road in a lot of places, but hasn't hit this area for over a decade. Maybe complaining would remedy that.

I sent you a PM. A boom or side mower is the only way I could mow that. I couldn't pull a push mower up and down it and it's way too steep for any kind of riding mower that I've seen.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I agree with the idea of mowing. Spray for broadleaf, wait for it to die off then bring in dudley0's side mower to keep it nice.

If your better half won't allow a guard, it seems a fancy attachment for that bad a$$ tractor of yours is an appropriate alternative.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I follow this guy on YouTube. He lives in Lebanon and has good content and a decent following. This is what you're getting into with an Offset mower (I think that's what dudley0 has). Very useful.

[video=youtube_share;BcZqmBzZ23E]https://youtu.be/BcZqmBzZ23E[/video]

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    You can buy a bush hog for the tractor for what you might spend in stone, and you’re left with a bush hog. And don’t worry, tractors are much more stable side to side than they are longways.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have a bush hog but it’s not cut out for mowing this hill-ditch. I’m going to pick up DudleyO’s side mower and see if it’ll work for me.

Thanks again for the info and suggestions.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I've been trying to convince the wife that we need a Great Pyreneese but she isn't going for it. She doesn't want more animal hair in the house. I've told her that I don't want it to be in the house, it can't do it's job when it isn't outside. She has a hard time considering having a dog which stays outside 24/7.
    You might want to research the Great Pyrenees before you want on. They tend to want to wander a lot. There are a lot of breeds of LGDs. If you were closer, I'd say bring your wife to see ours. They are totally happy living their lives with our(well their :): ) goats. She just needs to realize they are not pets, they are workers. That is not to say that they cannot be lovable. If they are going to guard livestock, they need to live with them. Chickens are a bit different from what I read in that the dogs don't bond with the chickens, but rather just protect them.

I always love watching this video.
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2333151730035011

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Update: I went up and met with DudleyO this morning and picked up the side mower. It is gonna work out well. I have some strategy to figure out to get everything knocked down but it already looks a lot better.
    Before:
    xYW77y9h.jpg

After:
    DRu6woih.jpg

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    You can buy a bush hog for the tractor for what you might spend in stone, and you’re left with a bush hog. And don’t worry, tractors are much more stable side to side than they are longways.

Yep, I would weed wack that the first time so I didn't find any surprises and then easily mow that with my 790 with a belly.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I would be willing to try mowing it with my 1626 but I don't have a belly mower.I'd want that low slung weight before I'd feel comfortable.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I would be willing to try mowing it with my 1626 but I don't have a belly mower.I'd want that low slung weight before I'd feel comfortable.

I don't blame ya man. Pretty easy to get in trouble quickly on a tractor, as you know....and on a hill, not many 2nd chances if that thing rolls. I have known a couple people who have been killed by tractors while bush hogging. Stay safe brother.

Top Bottom