• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I had a great time as usual .. I am concerned that my second runs seemed slower????
    I am still not too sure what was wrong with my gun . The ammo that I had with me goes in and falls right out of my case guage. Maybe it needs a 3000 round re-spring and a trigger job while I'm at it.

I know coach it's an XD:D

ACT II

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Indiana
    river ... you have shown some excellent progress since you started shooting with us! I know you're probably your own worst critic, but we've all notice a big improvement. Keep up the good work!

As far as your malfunctions go . . . ??? It could be an overall length issue, the shape (ogive) of the bullets you're using, could be a magazine problem, a magazine catch problem, etc. etc.

Joseph Viray (aka rhino)
    Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I had a great time as usual .. I am concerned that my second runs seemed slower????
    I am still not too sure what was wrong with my gun . The ammo that I had with me goes in and falls right out of my case guage. Maybe it needs a 3000 round re-spring and a trigger job while I'm at it.

XDs have a short chamber. 1.1" OAL with some bullet shapes can drive the bullet into the rifling. Truncated cone bullets seem to be especially succeptible to this in my gun.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    river ... you have shown some excellent progress since you started shooting with us! I know you're probably your own worst critic, but we've all notice a big improvement. Keep up the good work!

As far as your malfunctions go . . . ??? It could be an overall length issue, the shape (ogive) of the bullets you're using, could be a magazine problem, a magazine catch problem, etc. etc.

Joseph Viray (aka rhino)
    Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

XDs have a short chamber. 1.1" OAL with some bullet shapes can drive the bullet into the rifling. Truncated cone bullets seem to be especially succeptible to this in my gun.

Thanks for the encouragement and troubleshooting advice.
    These rounds are some of the first off the new press. Maybe the seating die backed out on me a little while I was loading. I'll check it out
    Thanks again

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN

Don't spend too much on focusing on time, speed will come.
    learning how to break down stages, being smooth in your movements, getting your hits, nailing your reloads, working positions and transitions from target to target are the keys to focus on.
    Just breaking down a stage, getting into and out of positions, being smooth doing it, hitting your reload will start to shave time.
    take it from someone who can pull a trigger fast, I didn't start winning stuff and moving up until I put the rest of it together and I still have a long way to go.
    This time 2 years ago I as a C class Limited 10 shooter, it took me finally figuring out how to break a stage down, and how to move thru it before things started to shake out.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    learning how to break down stages, being smooth in your movements, getting your hits, nailing your reloads, working positions and transitions from target to target are the keys to focus on.
    Just breaking down a stage, getting into and out of positions, being smooth doing it, hitting your reload will start to shave time.
    take it from someone who can pull a trigger fast, I didn't start winning stuff and moving up until I put the rest of it together and I still have a long way to go.
    This time 2 years ago I as a C class Limited 10 shooter, it took me finally figuring out how to break a stage down, and how to move thru it before things started to shake out.

Golden info!
    Us wannabes are truly blessed in this league and at the matches by the instruction of Jake, Coach and rhino.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County

Golden info!
    Us wannabes are truly blessed in this league and at the matches by the instruction of Jake, Coach and rhino.

I guess I am going to have to quit looking at the times so much and start concentrating on the above advice. The times are just so easy to beat yourself up with:dunno:
    My hits are getting more consistent with not nearly as many mics
    I guess that my times aren't horrible considering I had a couple of malfunctions
    Thanks again

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Shooting and self evaluations

The sport of USPSA is about three things. Speed, Power and accuracy. The power is set by the caliber and the rules and so we do not have to spend much time worrying about it. Speed and accuracy are a never ending cycle that all of us will work on for as long as we care about our shooting skills.

Work on the accuracy first, and the speed second. riverman you are correct that you are getting more consistent and accurate as time goes by. Just keep working on it. Everyone misses and everyone thinks they could go faster. It is somewhat the nature of the beast.

Learn from the mistakes and the mikes and try not to repeat them. Once you have internalized the lesson you have learned from the mistake keep the knowledge and move on. Don't dwell on it and don't beat yourself up over it. It is in the past and you cannot change it now.

When facing a pressure situation a winner recalls past wins and successes, and losers recall past failures and set backs and both end up being self fulfilling prophecies.

Once a stage is programed into your head. You know how you want to shoot it then you simply need to focus on the mechanics of the shooting. The only thoughts in your head should be things like, be safe, be smooth, see the front sight and watch it lift. Being tense and concered about the time or making a tough shot will only amplfy the mistake and work against what you are trying to do. Just be smooth, because smooth is fast. If you are smooth the time will take care of itself.

MikeBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Brazil, IN
    Thank you for the encouragement, that's why I like shooting with all of you. The instruction, and suggestructions you give are very helpful

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    The sport of USPSA is about three things. Speed, Power and accuracy. The power is set by the caliber and the rules and so we do not have to spend much time worrying about it. Speed and accuracy are a never ending cycle that all of us will work on for as long as we care about our shooting skills.

Work on the accuracy first, and the speed second. riverman you are correct that you are getting more consistent and accurate as time goes by. Just keep working on it. Everyone misses and everyone thinks they could go faster. It is somewhat the nature of the beast.

Learn from the mistakes and the mikes and try not to repeat them. Once you have internalized the lesson you have learned from the mistake keep the knowledge and move on. Don't dwell on it and don't beat yourself up over it. It is in the past and you cannot change it now.

When facing a pressure situation a winner recalls past wins and successes, and losers recall past failures and set backs and both end up being self fulfilling prophecies.

Once a stage is programed into your head. You know how you want to shoot it then you simply need to focus on the mechanics of the shooting. The only thoughts in your head should be things like, be safe, be smooth, see the front sight and watch it lift. Being tense and concered about the time or making a tough shot will only amplfy the mistake and work against what you are trying to do. Just be smooth, because smooth is fast. If you are smooth the time will take care of itself.

:bowdown:Coach is a leeetle large for Yoda, but, he'll do.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sorry this took so long to get posted, but anyway here is some video of the 10/10 ACT Instructional League.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNDzdmqroV8]YouTube - ACT Instructional League 10 10[/ame]

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thanks

Thanks Jake for putting the video together and posting it.

Everyone who shot this match can check their grip from this video, some are good and some are not. Successive shots can be faster with a better grip.

Chris in the black shirt and and brown hat did plenty right.

Some pointers for everyone to think about I am going to leave names out and just put the counter time. Everyone can learn how to cut some time by these things, and none of them are about pulling the trigger faster.

1) :05-:07 shoot the third target on the move. Going to have to move forward anyway and the target is close do two things at once and save the time.

2) :24-:26 reload takes the whole width of the shooting area. Needs to be stuck in the first step or two.

3) 2:33 I had the gun too low going through the door as well.

4) 2:40 - 2:46 Move more agressively to the door, reload is taking too many steps and that is part of the problem. Gun is nice and high opening the door good job. Shoot the first target behind the door moving through the door.

5) 3:18 Thumbs should be pointing at the target not sticking up in the air. If it can be seen over the top of the gun it is not pointing at the target.

6) 3:54- 3:56 check the grip.

7) 3:47 Open the door and step into the doorway so that all four targets can be shot without moving the feet again. Moving feet between targets when it is not necessary is just giving time away.

8) 4:08 Grip needs work.

9) 4:11 reload is too low get the gun up in the face box and look at the mag well while reloading.

10) 4:14 don't drop the gun between the static target and the swinger. You looked down for the foot pad which is fine but your muzzle went down as well and that costs time.

11) 4:33 the door shot properly.

12) 4:40 check that grip.

13) 5:10 the door shot properly. (all four targets without shifting the feet in between)

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom