• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I have recently been asked to "train" some friends in "self defense, handgun manipulation, shooting etc.." I am however not an instructor and do not claim to be.

Situation:
    I'm the "gun" guy in my circle of friends and family. I'm the only with a passion for this stuff and the only one with some experience. So when a friend or relative needs/wants advice on firearms related things we usually end up chatting.

Recently a friend approached me looking for a few guns, she's in her early sixties and in her words "is aging and feeling more vulnerable." She has a desire to carry a gun for personal protection. So after a couple meetings and a lot of fondling (of guns not eachother!) we've found a couple guns for her. One for carry, and one for just plinking around on her newly built range in a rural part of the state.

Through this process a couple other friends have expressed interest in aquiring handguns and getting some basic instruction. When I say basic I mean 100 level stuff, how the gun actually functions (semi auto was a mystery to some of them.) We have access to a nicely built private range with plenty of space to do all sorts of training, and with the weather getting nicer a few range days are in our near future.

Me:
    I've got a background in the military and if we were talking long guns (longer than ARs) I'd be more than comfortable teaching an extended, detailed and insightful class on engaging targets at extreme ranges. If we were talking AR / Carbine stuff, I could hold my own with some basic instruction there as well. However I am not nearly as confident or skilled with a handgun as I am with previously mentioned platforms. I have attended no formal handgun training courses outside of the military, our section does use the Costa/Haley Magpul videos as a base for our handgun and carbine training plans though. Beyond that I'm an ok shot with a pistol and feel confident in my own daily drills etc from a personal protection standpoint, but not sure I should be instructing others.

The Dilema:
    I want to teach my friends, these folks as much as I love them are clueless about guns and are in need of some training and they're willing to take the time to get it. We've talked about taking a full day to set aside for a Basic Pistol Course, with yours truely as the instructor. I know I can run a range safely, teach basic saftey, gun functions, and every some elementary shooting / drawing. But the question is do I have any business doing any of this or should I direct them elsewhere?

My concern is teaching/creating bad habits that will hinder there abilities and development in future training. Any input from the experts here, either a yes/no to whether I should even bothering running the class or some tips on teaching techniques etc would be much appreciated!

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Don't do it yourself unless you have to because of comfort/cost/extraneous circumstances. Find someone skilled in the arts they want to develop and see if you can set up a "Let's all go to the range and get some training day."

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I follow the DIY rule:

If you're not an expert but think you can do something OK, do it for yourself.

If you're NOT an expert but think you can do something OK, defer to the pros when asked to do it for somebody else.

For example I'm not a pro or professionally trained, but I can do electrical work, basic plumbing, basic drywall and carpentry, etc. I wont do any of the above for friends or family. Too much liability and I'm just not that good at it.

I WAS a professionally trained and rated Static Line/Instructor Assisted Deployment Skydiving instructor and when I was active in the sport taught many classes and kicked many students out the door.

Ive been around guns all my life and have a background in teaching students (see above) but I refuse to teach my wife the basic handgun course because I'm not professionally trained in the discipline. I want to leave that up to the pros.

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I am more than willing to help. I am NOT a firearms instructor, but have been trained, to be an instructor, in the Military. depending on what they want to learn, I can give BASIC instruction .....

tyr1toby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    -I have to agree with the comments above. Turn to the professionals. I have over 14 years of firearms instruction ranging from civilain, and local police to federal agencies. I have a range near LaPorte County where my company runs classes. I am also willing to travel with my other instructors to your location if feasable. Feel free to contact me if you have any question.

Tobin L. Babcock
    Tyr 1 Training Corp.
    tyr1training@gmail.com

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    This may go against some of the other instructors here, but here's my take:

If the only 2 options they are willing to consider are a) train with you or b) no training, I say you train them.

I think what one of your concerns is and those of the other instructors here as well is ingraining in them some bad habit that has to be overcome later. No technique will be that ingrained in them in a day or two if you are teaching them an overview of weapon handling and safety.

If you are doing the training, focus on safety and be 100% unrelenting in that regard. That is foundational. Principles of marksmanship are able to be taught by you. As is grip, draw and stance. Weapons manipulation such as reloading; equipment choices, etc can all be covered and addressed. All of this will fill up an entire day, maybe two.

If I am teaching complete novices and the class is small, I encourage LOTS of questions. I want them to know the why and what for. So, I allow them to ask questions at any time during the training and I stop whatever we are doing and address the issue right there. This of course would **** off Tier One wannabes and Round Count hogs who go to training just to expend ammo, and I don't do it in those classes but I have found that novices appreciate this approach.

One of the biggest hurdles for them is they are intimidated. One of my biggest goals is that they leave no longer intimidated. I've found that addressing any and all concerns they have during training accomplishes this.

This is not typical among instructors I've found--they have a Program Of Instruction and come hell or high water, they will accomplish what's on that sheet. I don't treat novices like we are at SF Selection, I give them great leeway in guiding how the class progresses.

Having said all that, I think it is ideal if you can locate a good instructor willing to train them in self-defense gun handling.

Hopefully some of that helps. If not, I'm sure you'll get lots of other opinions.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Uhm... Why not both? Why don't you get them started with basic gun safety, gun handling, marksmanship, etc. Then when they realize the world of skills and information there is to master, point them toward professional instruction?

I wouldn't call it a class. I'd call it taking some friends to the range and showing them what you know, with the understanding that it isn't the only way, and it may not be perfect.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I'm with Expat and Jackson. Make sure you don't teach them anything that will make them more dangerous. If you are helping them, then go for it. Get more training yourself and take it upon yourself to get trained, then pass it along. Obviously professional training is the best option, but I think it would be dumb to avoid showing them some things just because you aren't a professional instructor. If they'll be better off for working with you (it sounds like they would certainly be) then go for it!

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    One thing you should consider is liability. If someone shoots them self or worse, someone else, they or their family may take legal action against you.

Having enough personal/professional liability insurance is always a good idea if you are going to assume an instructor/trainer position.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    One thing you should consider is liability. If someone shoots them self or worse, someone else, they or their family may take legal action against you.

Having enough personal/professional liability insurance is always a good idea if you are going to assume an instructor/trainer position.

Another reason not to refer to it as a class, but as going to the range with a friend. I am not sure, but I would think a person's liability would be limited if it was just an outing as friends and you don't put yourself out there and as responsible for their well being. That is assuming you dont do it on your own property.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I think GoColt is referring to professional liability in the case of a person being involved in a defensive shooting. For instance the nice 60 year lady pops Mr. Perp 6 times and some county prosecutor with an agenda decides to press forward with the issue. (unlikely but who knows) Question is asked who taught/told her to shoot the Bad Man until he stopped doing the bad thing he was intent on doing. Now the "instructor" could be involved. That is one reason why instructors carry professional liability insurance.

As far as a person taking their friends to the range and helping them out there should be very little liability. I would encourage the OP to do just that.

To the OP there are a lot of good trainers all over the state that would be willing to help you out.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Beyond that I'm an ok shot with a pistol and feel confident in my own daily drills etc from a personal protection standpoint, but not sure I should be instructing others.

I commend you for your caution. This shows that you're a thoughtful, considerate man who will do right by his friends.

Even if you're God's gif to gunfighting, you may not be a decent teacher. What should you teach? What kind of problems might you encounter? How do you explain things efficiently? This will come only with experience. Experienced instructors probably have a standard syllabus, and they can anticipate any problems/questions. Also, it's often a lot easier to teach strangers than friends. So why be the bad guy?

It may be easiest to just organize an outing to a defensive pistol course. ACT, Aaron Bright, and Ken Campbell offer some quality courses at an affordable cost. If money is a problem for some people, and if you are a really good learner, you can take the course, watch how they teach and what they teach, then turn around and teach it to your friends.

Good luck!

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    This may go against some of the other instructors here, but here's my take:

If the only 2 options they are willing to consider are a) train with you or b) no training, I say you train them.

I think what one of your concerns is and those of the other instructors here as well is ingraining in them some bad habit that has to be overcome later. No technique will be that ingrained in them in a day or two if you are teaching them an overview of weapon handling and safety.

If you are doing the training, focus on safety and be 100% unrelenting in that regard. That is foundational. Principles of marksmanship are able to be taught by you. As is grip, draw and stance. Weapons manipulation such as reloading; equipment choices, etc can all be covered and addressed. All of this will fill up an entire day, maybe two.

If I am teaching complete novices and the class is small, I encourage LOTS of questions. I want them to know the why and what for. So, I allow them to ask questions at any time during the training and I stop whatever we are doing and address the issue right there. This of course would **** off Tier One wannabes and Round Count hogs who go to training just to expend ammo, and I don't do it in those classes but I have found that novices appreciate this approach.

One of the biggest hurdles for them is they are intimidated. One of my biggest goals is that they leave no longer intimidated. I've found that addressing any and all concerns they have during training accomplishes this.

This is not typical among instructors I've found--they have a Program Of Instruction and come hell or high water, they will accomplish what's on that sheet. I don't treat novices like we are at SF Selection, I give them great leeway in guiding how the class progresses.

Having said all that, I think it is ideal if you can locate a good instructor willing to train them in self-defense gun handling.

Hopefully some of that helps. If not, I'm sure you'll get lots of other opinions.

OP - This is the best response you have received so far. There are very few truly qualified "instructors." There are, sadly, many who fancy themselves to be one. Concepts, responsibilities, terminology....these things are the beginning of any legitimate training plan and they have nothing to do with touching a gun. Most newbies want to start shooting within 10 minutes of arriving for their first class. Sadly, most instructors start their "training" there anyway. From nothing more than your prose, it's my guess that you are at least as qualified as 90% of those who claim to be full or part-time instructors.

Do it yourself.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I was in same boat with my girl friend. I'm prior military and served in 1st Ranger Battalion, so I know how to shoot. I ended up speaking to a couple of NRA instructors and introduced her. I think that if you have been shooting forever, you may leave something out because it is just plain second nature to you.

Top Bottom