• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    How much would a 12' - 16' enclosed trailer cost to insure? What are the different types of coverage? If I bought one on CL, used it for 1 month - 6 months to move my residence, sold it, what kind of "term" could I insure it for? Could it be prorated if I sold it before the term expires and I get a refund?

Not looking for any quotes, just looking for ballpark numbers to see if this is what I want to do.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    How much would a 12' - 16' enclosed trailer cost to insure? What are the different types of coverage? If I bought one on CL, used it for 1 month - 6 months to move my residence, sold it, what kind of "term" could I insure it for? Could it be prorated if I sold it before the term expires and I get a refund?

Not looking for any quotes, just looking for ballpark numbers to see if this is what I want to do.

Thanks in advance.

i could be mistaken, but the trailer is insured under the policy of the vehicle pulling it. now the contents on the inside of the trailer i am not sure how that works.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I own an enclosed trailer that I use to carry my tools to and from jobsites. There is no cost to insure a trailer. It is covered under the tow vehicle insurance. I am not an insurance agent. This is my experience. I've had my trailer for 4 years. It is a 6x10 enclosed.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    i could be mistaken, but the trailer is insured under the policy of the vehicle pulling it. now the contents on the inside of the trailer i am not sure how that works.

I had heard the same thing, but wondered a couple of questions. If you have comprehensive on the vehicle pulling it, does that equate to comprehensive on the trailer? Or is it just liability? What about when the trailer is not hooked up and is sitting in a driveway or parking lot?

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I am an insurance agent.

A trailer like you describe is covered for liability by the insurance on the vehicle pulling the it. There is no automatic coverage for damage to the trailer or it's contents.

You can add the trailer to your auto policy as an additional vehicle for comprehensive and collision coverage if you want coverage for damage to the trailer. It's not very expensive, the rate is based on the value of the trailer.
    Contents may be covered by your homeowners insurance depending on what they are.

This applies to a trailer used for personal use and not for business. This also is a general statement for most insurance companies. Some companies, usually high risk, may be different. Check with your agent.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    How much would a 12' - 16' enclosed trailer cost to insure? Not very much...but that is the most specific I can get without more info. It does depend on if you want contents coverage. What are the different types of coverage? Liability Only, Comp and Collision.If I bought one on CL, used it for 1 month - 6 months to move my residence, sold it, what kind of "term" could I insure it for?Same policy term as your auto policy usually. We just add them as a vehicle. Could it be prorated if I sold it before the term expires and I get a refund? Unless you have one of the companies that have started working admin fees in that are non-refundable, yes you will get a prorated refund.

Thanks in advance.

Only Liability is covered by the vehicle pulling it. Comprehensive and collision and contents would need to be insured still

I own an enclosed trailer that I use to carry my tools to and from jobsites. There is no cost to insure a trailer. It is covered under the tow vehicle insurance. I am not an insurance agent. This is my experience. I've had my trailer for 4 years. It is a 6x10 enclosed.

Unfortunately you have been mis-informed. You will need to carry coverage for the trailer. Also, if the tools are used for work, you will need to see about having business pursuits covered as well.

I had heard the same thing, but wondered a couple of questions. If you have comprehensive on the vehicle pulling it, does that equate to comprehensive on the trailer? Or is it just liability? What about when the trailer is not hooked up and is sitting in a driveway or parking lot?

Just Liability. Your second example is one reason for need of comprehensive coverage, Comp and Collision never extend from the vehicle.
    I am an insurance agent.

A trailer like you describe is covered for liability by the insurance on the vehicle pulling the it. There is no automatic coverage for damage to the trailer or it's contents.

You can add the trailer to your auto policy as an additional vehicle for comprehensive and collision coverage if you want coverage for damage to the trailer. It's not very expensive, the rate is based on the value of the trailer.
    Contents may be covered by your homeowners insurance depending on what they are.

This applies to a trailer used for personal use and not for business. This also is a general statement for most insurance companies. Some companies, usually high risk, may be different. Check with your agent.

Great summary. should have read this first, would have saved me time posting answers.;)

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    cool, I bought a 14' x 7' and it should be at my door Monday or Tuesday at the latest. It wasn't actually a CL deal, it was from someone I knew. I think I should have no problem selling it for what I'll have in it.

Thanks guys.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    cool, I bought a 14' x 7' and it should be at my door Monday or Tuesday at the latest. It wasn't actually a CL deal, it was from someone I knew. I think I should have no problem selling it for what I'll have in it.

Thanks guys.

I did the same exact thing last year, and it sure made the move a lot nicer (I did not insure mine). I picked it up from a guy down the street and sold it on CL for what I paid for it, a few months later. If you got a decent deal, it will be gone in a day or two.

Good luck with the move.

Top Bottom