Interacting with police when you're armed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    When I'm pulled over I give them my DL and registration, proof of insurance. It is none of his business if I happen to have a gun, because I am no threat to him--and any criminal intent on shooting police, prrrrrobably wouldn't inform either. So what good does it do to inform? None, not in Indiana anyways. Officers don't need to know.

Would you tell police that you have a pocket knife in the console? No, because that would be dumb, right? Your pocket knife isn't going to jump out and harm the officer, so how is it relevant during a traffic stop? A gun in a sane person's possession is no more a threat than a cell phone or knife and no reason to alert about IMO.

I comply with police, but I do not inform them of things they don't ask about.

Last edited:

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Do they have to know if they don't ask? No. However, I would inform them anyway in the most polite way possible. It's better for them to know you are armed and licensed than for them to not know if you are armed legally or illegally. Being polite and creating a level of trust can go a long way with a LEO.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Unlike some, I don't view the police as the enemy and I don't see every interaction with them as a test of my Constitutional rights.

If I'm pulled over for a traffic violation and I want things to go smoothly (and I do), I'll greet the officer as he walks up. When he asks for my ID, which is attached in the same ID carrier in my wallet as my permit, I will hand him both, point out my permit and inform him I am armed.

It's never caused me a problem and I've yet to get a speeding ticket in Valpo. I have gotten a written warning only. Was it because of my demeanor and openness with the officer? Probably so. If I were stand-offish and ranting and raving about "knowing my rights" I would have likely spent more time I didn't care to waste on the side of the road and probably left with a ticket.

I see the advice given by Matt as common courtesy and the best course of action if your goal is to have an uneventful interaction with the officer. It has certainly worked well for me.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Do they have to know if they don't ask? No. However, I would inform them anyway in the most polite way possible. It's better for them to know you are armed and licensed than for them to not know if you are armed legally or illegally. Being polite and creating a level of trust can go a long way with a LEO.

I agree.

Some folks think every interaction has to be confrontational and they automatically cop a "f'em" attitude. I fail to see a reason to behave that way. The Valpo PD is courteous to me and has always been professional in my interactions with them.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I agree.

Some folks think every interaction has to be confrontational and they automatically cop a "f'em" attitude. I fail to see a reason to behave that way. The Valpo PD is courteous to me and has always been professional in my interactions with them.

As with all of us, your views are a product of your experience. I have encountered a few excellent officers and a few who are acceptable. The majority I have encountered have earned every bit of the attitude that they are hostile and merit being treated as such.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    I agree.

Not everyone lives in Valpo. Hammond pd are not courteous from my experience.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    As with all of us, your views are a product of your experience. I have encountered a few excellent officers and a few who are acceptable. The majority I have encountered have earned every bit of the attitude that they are hostile and merit being treated as such.

If I may ask, what town did these encounters happen in?

I've had less than pleasant encounters with Illinois police, but then I wasn't armed for obvious reasons so it wasn't an issue. Despite being respectful to them, they were rude and difficult to get along with. But that has been the exception, certainly not the rule with regards to my interactions with police over the years and in many states.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI

I agree. When i handed over my LTCH and DL to Hammond PD because the ISP told i had to i ended up being stripped of my gun, had the serial number ran, gun tossed in trunk, and every single bullet taken out of mag and thrown in the trunk to rattle around, and finally being told to not pull over and retrieve it until officer is out of sight.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Good thread with some good common sense advice. Unfortunately though this will most assuredly turn into a I know my rights, screw the police anti LEO bash fest.

If I ever get pulled over I will inform of my carry status and weapon location and await instructions.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I've never been asked, and I've never informed . Never had a problem. I also have never informed the police of the Bench made in my pocket, the Gerber in the door, the camp axe on the floor, or the 32 ounce ball pean hammer.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    A friend of mine's son in law volunteered to a state trooper that he was armed and had his LTCH. The trooper drew on him and disarmed him. So I am in the, no longer volunteering info group now.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    A friend of mine's son in law volunteered to a state trooper that he was armed and had his LTCH. The trooper drew on him and disarmed him. So I am in the, no longer volunteering info group now.

Yea, for the reason above, and that someone might end up handling my loaded weapon, I think you people who inform are not all there. Why do you want to invite escalating the situation like this? You don't know if you're going to get a nice experienced and well trained cop or a scared rookie.

It is a freaking traffic stop, and your gun is not an officer safety issue, don't make it an issue. I mean really, you guys sound so eager to prove that you are nice to police, that you are more than happy for them to potentially disarm you, search your vehicle, etc. It is almost like you want more interaction with the police. I would just want to leave. Nothing against the officer, but I have better things to do with my time than sitting on the side of the road with cars zipping dangerously close by.

Last edited:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008

Assuming these horror stories are true, I would love to know the whole story.

I suspect there's a little something being left out.

I've interacted with a State Trooper while open carrying and his only comment was "why don't you cover your pistol up?" to which I replied "because by law I'm not required to." He asked if I had a permit and I said "I do." He never asked to see the permit and went on about his business. Had I copped the "FU, I know my rights" attitude I probably would have a completely different story to tell. If I left key parts of my behavior out of that story and embellished the rest it would likely paint that Trooper in a bad light.

While I don't doubt some cops can over react to most anything, imagine if you have a cop who is predisposed to being a hot head who asks you to step out of the car. You do, you print and he sees it. How do you think that's going to play out if you didn't inform him?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    bunny-eating-popcorn-o.gif

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The best result from informing in Indiana is that you get out of a ticket that you deserve to get. The worst is that a series of bad assumptions and poor judgement calls by either you or the officer gets someone dead. The average is that nothing bad happens and you go on your way with a ticket.

Risk analysis of probability versus severity says don't inform, but everyone gets to make their own decision.

Top Bottom