INTERACTIONS WITH POLICE WHILE LAWFULLY CARRYING.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psyop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Plainfield
    I would read the statues and be clear on them. It is a slippery slope on both sides if an officer asks for you gun and you do not give it to him. While he may be in the wrong you can easily be put in cuffs for not following his instructions. I would echo the advice above .. your attitude goes a long way in determining the end result of your encounter with him.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I would read the statues and be clear on them. It is a slippery slope on both sides if an officer asks for you gun and you do not give it to him. While he may be in the wrong you can easily be put in cuffs for not following his instructions. I would echo the advice above .. your attitude goes a long way in determining the end result of your encounter with him.

Trick is to not resist after you respectfully refuse to unholster

J Starkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Kokomo
    I've been pulled over 6 times in the last 2yrs (I drive I little MR2 spyder)and only had one bad encounter. I always have hands on the wheel and inform the officer I have my lifetime ltch and where my firearm is then ask how they want to proceed. Every time except for my one bad experience they just check my permit and ask me to keep my hands on the wheel. Hell one time I was taking my ar, ak, mini 14, and 4 handguns out to my parents to go shooting and got pulled over and the isp was actually extremely friendly we actually talked guns for a few minutes. He gave me a warning for speeding and that was it. The one bad experience was a female Marion sherrif I was pulled over for my tail light being out on my way to work at 4:00am I informed her I had my lifetime ltch where my handgun was asked what she wanted me to do and she drew her firearm told me to step out of the car sprawled me out over the hood searched me and I mean grabbed EVERYTHING then searched my car took my handgun told me she needed to make sure it wasn't stolen then another officer pulls up meanwhile I'm laying on the hood of my car looking like a criminal while my coworkers are driving by. She ended up giving me back my handgun with the disassembly lever turned and the slide locked back and gave me a warning. When I got to work late I had to explain to everyone why I was sprawled out on my hood. However I'm sure this is extremely uncommon not all police officers are like this majority of them are friendly fellow firearm enthusiasts that would never act like she did. If you treat them with respect 99% of the time you will get respect right back unfortunately sometimes you get that 1% but you can't judge them all because of that 1%. That would be like saying because some idiot was irresponsible with his firearm and accidentally shot somone all gun owners are irresponsible. Sorry for the book lol just wanted to share my :twocents:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...If you treat them with respect 99% of the time you will get respect right back unfortunately sometimes you get that 1% but you can't judge them all because of that 1%...

I can not inform 100% of the time and still treat them all with respect.

I just can't imagine any upside to giving more info than necessary.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    ...The one bad experience was a female Marion sherrif I was pulled over for my tail light being out on my way to work at 4:00am I informed her I had my lifetime ltch where my handgun was asked what she wanted me to do and she drew her firearm told me to step out of the car sprawled me out over the hood searched me and I mean grabbed EVERYTHING then searched my car took my handgun told me she needed to make sure it wasn't stolen then another officer pulls up meanwhile I'm laying on the hood of my car looking like a criminal while my coworkers are driving by. She ended up giving me back my handgun with the disassembly lever turned and the slide locked back and gave me a warning. ..

I hope you filed a complaint.

MPH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    <~NOT a 'Baker' unit
    Most officers I know are very pro-2A and when the subject comes up, their response to a weapon on the person is limited to location of the weapon and making sure it stays there during a contact with the citizen.
    Of course, there will always be a few who for whatever reason overstep their authority and give the profession a bad name. Complaints do work, in that the officer has to justify their actions and be within the law.

J Starkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Kokomo
    I should have but I didn't. I had a bunch of medical issues going on with my son at the time. I was working crazy hours and going back and forth from Riley and things were crazy.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I should have but I didn't. I had a bunch of medical issues going on with my son at the time. I was working crazy hours and going back and forth from Riley and things were crazy.

Is it too late to file a complaint? Speak to an attorney. Sounds like at least one complaint about the way they handled your legal carry of a firearm, and maybe another for the way they spread you out on the hood having done nothing wrong, maybe another for sexual assault based on your description.

apsjiml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    I do know a guy that worked for me and a couple of different times did have problems but I never have. I have never been pulled over in South Bend either. The first time he was in his car and he told the police he had a firearm and the cop flipped out yelling at him, had him get out and had to wait by his car. The second he was on a motocycle and the police took the magazine out and put the firearm in his bag and told him he couldn't carry it while riding the motorcycle. I cannot say how he acted at the time.

Top Bottom