• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have 2 nephews that have finished their Eagle Scout award and I would like to reward them with shotguns. They are city boys, very casual shooters, and off to college and may not shoot enough or be interested enough to acquire other guns for many years to come so I would like them to be covered for Deer, birds, and clays. I am somewhat familiar with Mossberg 500 and Remington 870. What other guns are available with barrels you can switch out? Pumps and Semi Autos only please. Id like to buy something better and more expensive than an 870 but not break the bank.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I think the Mossberg 500 is the PERFECT entry shotgun. I vastly prefer it to the Remington 870 just because of the tang mounted safety (can easily be shot left or right handed). Parts and barrels are cheap and copious. If they are gun newbies, I would lean toward getting them pump action guns. Semi-autos can be finicky.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Are you looking at a Remington 870 Express or 870 Wingmaster? The Wingmaster is a nice shotgun.

You could also look at an Ithaca model 37. A fine and classic gun that can also exchange barrels.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    870 is the classic. Also tons of parts and aftermarket stuff available. (Magpull...:drool:)

For not only the best price, but to do the boys a huge favor, don't give them new guns to be treated as safe queens. Give them seasoned user guns that they won't be afraid to drag out and shoot, no matter the circumstance. :twocents:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have 2 nephews that have finished their Eagle Scout award and I would like to reward them with shotguns. They are city boys, very casual shooters, and off to college and may not shoot enough or be interested enough to acquire other guns for many years to come so I would like them to be covered for Deer, birds, and clays. I am somewhat familiar with Mossberg 500 and Remington 870. What other guns are available with barrels you can switch out? Pumps and Semi Autos only please. Id like to buy something better and more expensive than an 870 but not break the bank.

Well, depends on what you desire and what you believe is "Better and more expensive". Sure fit and finish is somewhat nicer on more expensive shotguns, but as far as "Better", it is hard to beat a Mossberg! I have a Browning A5R, a Winchester Pump, and a Mossberg.

I remember several years ago when my son and I joined a very nice shooting club with shotgun trap and skeet ranges identical to that years Olympic range.

We were speaking with a member when my son said "I'm sure I can't compete well with my Mossberg 500 against the expensive shotguns you use". The gentleman had a shotgun in his hand the cost well into the 4 figures, and he smiled and said, "yeah you may be wrong, I spent $xxxx on this gun, but the guy that beat me is from this club and he won state this year, with a Mossburg 500!".

When I was a young lad I was raised in a small town in Northern Indiana (Roselawn). The American Legion there had one of the first trap shoots I think in Indiana in the 1940's ~ 50's. I saw shotguns there that cost several thousand and others shooting inexpensive ones. Didn't seem to me the scores or firearm issues favored either firearm!

As Bwframe stated it may be better to get them a gun they will use vs one they will be afraid to scratch!

Top Bottom