• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LowerSW

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    Lower Southwest Indiana
    I really really really want to get into Bee keeping next year. I was wondering if anyone is on this forum located in Posey County that would mind if I pick your brain.
    If anyone else has any ideas for supplies etc I would appreciate it. I do like to buy local and from a small business before I purchase something from the internet big boys.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

LYHTSPD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Near Evansville
    I am getting my stuff ready to start my first hives next spring. I am also in SW Indiana (SE Gibson County). A good place to start would be the Southwest Indiana Bee Keepers Association. Their facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/140586309463228/. I don't think they have a web page, but I can get you in touch with the lady who runs it. She lives over in Lynnville. I would like to share info as well with some fellow novice bee keepers, so let's talk!

Walter T. Kelley is a good local source for equipment and bees. They are in located in Clarkson, KY.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    A coworker from my last job has a year or two of beekeeping experience and he's SW of Indianapolis. I know he's also here on INGO so he may chime in when he has an opportunity to read this thread.

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I just ordered my Nuc of bees and new hive bodies and supers for the upcomming year. First hives in NWI but I have kept bees in Florida and Washington St.
    The only recomendations I can make is to get in contact with your local association and gather info. Also, RESERVE YOUR BEES! I ordered mine today from Apple Blossom Farms in Star City,IN and they are already at $120 for packages and nucs at $165 and $185. They told me that there are some suppliers that are sold out already and if they open the Canadian border to American bees, they price will sky rocket. Some suppliers are already inflating prices so get yours locked in ASAP.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I bought bees from someone in KY that sold their bees via Craigslist here in Indy. He brought them up to Indy to distribute. The first NUC I got was all drones. He did make it right when I called him and told him though. Can't remember the name though so it may or may not have been this individual.

Rock River

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indy/Morgan county
    Kelley Bees are good to deal with. They stand behind their products and I've never had a problem when dealing with them. I'd also recommend reading their monthly newsletter which you can find from their website, it's got a lot of good info. One thing to remember is that if you ask ten different beekeepers their opinion you will usually get ten different answers. I've found it just takes a lot of experimenting and finding what works for you.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    Rj honey in Lebanon has bees. So does hunters honey farm. Graham's bee works in Morgantown has nucs and packages, but I've had a lot of bad experience with them. My hives are covered in snow right now and wrapped in tar paper. I'm hoping they make it through this winter.

Jason

manley82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    My family has had hives for over 50 years and never purchased them before... :dunno: We make contacts inside animal services and local sheriffs departments. When the queens and hives evacuate and gather on people's properties they call looking to "just get rid of them" and they are all too happy to give them away when you show up and take them. Of course they do not always gather up on a limb 5 feet from the ground... When they are inside someone's garage walls etc... that is another story for a successful rescue

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    My family has had hives for over 50 years and never purchased them before... :dunno: We make contacts inside animal services and local sheriffs departments. When the queens and hives evacuate and gather on people's properties they call looking to "just get rid of them" and they are all too happy to give them away when you show up and take them. Of course they do not always gather up on a limb 5 feet from the ground... When they are inside someone's garage walls etc... that is another story for a successful rescue
    Same here... I've had bees for almost a decade now (wow, has it really been that long???). I never pay for bees. I got started with bee swarms mostly, but I have done 2 cutouts and got a tree full of bees. Put yourself on "swarm call lists" wherever you can find them and you'll end up with bees for free. Sometimes too many (depending on the year all my hives will fill up and I can't take on anymore bees, but the phone-calls don't stop...)

LowerSW

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    Lower Southwest Indiana
    I just checked with Kelley Bees in KY. They still have package and Nucs available. Since this is my first hive I will be purchasing bees. Maybe in the future I will look at catching swarms.
    What is better, package or over wintered Nucs?

LYHTSPD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Near Evansville
    I just checked with Kelley Bees in KY. They still have package and Nucs available. Since this is my first hive I will be purchasing bees. Maybe in the future I will look at catching swarms.
    What is better, package or over wintered Nucs?

From what I hear, nucs are better for starters. And you should really get two hives going to start with, that way you can compare what they are doing with each other. It is supposed to make it easier to determine if something is wrong, or if they are just bees being bees. Personally, I am going to start with 2 nucs.

Top Bottom