Interested in casting my own bullets. Looking for sources of 92-6-2 lead ingots.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    With pistol powders becoming more and more available, I find myself wanting to start reloading for 9mm and 45 ACP. When I start my reloading adventures, I intend to purchase bullets at first. This makes sense to me because it is one less thing to worry about as I learn the step by step process when it comes to reloading. Eventually, I would like to also cast my own bullets. For those of you who cast your own bullets, is it possible to reload for 9mm and 45 ACP with pure lead ingots? Or, should I only be looking at 92-6-2 lead ingots for bullet reloading?

I am not interested in going the wheel weight route at this time. I would rather stick with new lead ingots so I know what I am getting when it comes to the lead I use. Can anyone recommend good sources of lead ingots in Central Indiana? If there is someone locally dealing with lead ingots, I may be able to avoid shipping charges.

While I have been interested in reloading for months, I only made the decision to look into casting my own bullets a couple of days ago. So, any advice for a new guy would be appreciated. :)

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    If you get on-line, you can buy ingots of processed wheel weights. Most of the work will have been done for you. For 9 mm and .45 ACP at standard velocities, those would work fine. You could also buy Linotype and add soft lead.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    With pistol powders becoming more and more available, I find myself wanting to start reloading for 9mm and 45 ACP. When I start my reloading adventures, I intend to purchase bullets at first. This makes sense to me because it is one less thing to worry about as I learn the step by step process when it comes to reloading. Eventually, I would like to also cast my own bullets. For those of you who cast your own bullets, is it possible to reload for 9mm and 45 ACP with pure lead ingots? Or, should I only be looking at 92-6-2 lead ingots for bullet reloading?

I am not interested in going the wheel weight route at this time. I would rather stick with new lead ingots so I know what I am getting when it comes to the lead I use. Can anyone recommend good sources of lead ingots in Central Indiana? If there is someone locally dealing with lead ingots, I may be able to avoid shipping charges.

While I have been interested in reloading for months, I only made the decision to look into casting my own bullets a couple of days ago. So, any advice for a new guy would be appreciated. :)

I'm pretty close to you in Winchester and have had problems finding local sources for lead for years. If you are interested in going the internet route and placing an order I'd be happy to split it with you.

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    You don't need that hard of a lead for handgun rounds. I use lead around 10bhn for 9, 40 and 45. I cast my boolits out of range scrap. Check your local scrap yards for lead also castboolits.com has people that sell lead around $1 per pound shipped.

Top Bottom