• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Well I have been interested in getting into competing in some rifle shoots. I am only interested in shoots using modern bolt guns, no 3 gun or pistol stuff. I have been trying to find some info on requirements and places that do these kind of shoot. I am located in Rockville which is 30 miles North of Terre Haute and 50 miles West of Indianapolis. Would like to find some places relatively close preferably. I have just found that they do some rifle shoots at Camp Atterbury but that is roughly 2 hours. I could make this drive but if I could find someplace closer that would be great. If you have any info on this I would greatly appreciate it.

edit:
    Rifle I would mainly be interested in using is my Rem 700 in .308 BDL.

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Take a look at F-Class shooting. It might be just the sort of thing you have in mind. Yes, they have matches at Camp Atterbury, out to 1000 yards. Two hours isn't such a bad drive to shoot 1000 yards. I don't know what's around your area, but keep looking.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    The drive isn't bad but with my work schedule may be hard to make more than a couple of these. I was just wondering if there were any way to find info on more local shoots or if anyone in my area know ranges that put on this type of shoot. With the F-class will I be able to use my rifle in it's current configuration or will I need to convert it to mag fed?

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    You don't need to use a mag to shoot F-Class. Everything is one shot at a time. You load one round, shoot, they pull the target into the pits and mark your score, then when it comes back up you load and shoot one more shot. Keep doing that until your string (usually 20 shots) is done. So your rifle should be good as far as that is concerned. Looks like you have a bipod, and you'll want to use a rear bag. (And a mat of some sort. And if you decide to get into it seriously, eventually you'll want a good spotting scope.)

The only thing I'd recommend is making sure you have enough adjustment in your scope to get up to 1000 yards. My rifle, pushing a Berger 185gr .308 bullet just under 2800fps, needs to come up about 30MOA from 100 to 1000 yards. So you'd need a 20MOA base most likely, and a scope with a good amount of internal travel.

Here is the schedule of most of the different highpower matches around the midwest. (Yeah, it doesn't look like there are many real close to you.)

10-State Schedule

It's not an exhaustive list, but it does cover most of the bigger clubs. You're looking for the prone matches, which are called 3x600 or 2x1000 or something along those lines --- meaning 3 20-shot strings at 600, or 2 20-shot strings at 1000 yards, or X number of 20 shot strings at Y yards. Almost all of the prone matches have F-Class shooters and conventional prone shooters, who use a sling and shooting coat with either iron sights or scopes or both.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Oh, and there's a 1000 yard match at Atterbury this Sunday. If you want to shoot, make sure you get your info to Sue (her email is on the website) by Tuesday!

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Thanks PMW for the info. I had to work this past Sunday unfortunately. I am already running a 20moa base and with the BDC reticle I should be good out to 1000 yrds. I would probably be more interested in the 600 yard shoot for my first attemp since the furthest I have been able to shoot was out to 350 yards. Will certainly look into all of this and I am sure there will be some supplies I will have to gather before I can attend a match.

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    The match on Sunday ended up getting postponed for rain. The rescheduled date is October 12.

I can see giving it a try a little closer up the first time. There's also a 300 yard prone match at the Fort Wayne Rifle & Revolver Club on October 26. I'm not sure how far of a drive that is for you. But that shoot is usually pretty casual.

Fort Wayne Rifle & Revolver Gun Club... Calendar

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The match on Sunday ended up getting postponed for rain. The rescheduled date is October 12.I can see giving it a try a little closer up the first time. There's also a 300 yard prone match at the Fort Wayne Rifle & Revolver Club on October 26. I'm not sure how far of a drive that is for you. But that shoot is usually pretty casual.

If you come to FWRR for the prone match, ask to get squadded with me. I will help you get a zero and show you the ropes.

This offer is open to anyone who wants to give it a try. We welcome everybody.

Check out the contact page at www.fwrr.us my contact info is right there.

Dean Drews

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Thanks PMW for the info. I had to work this past Sunday unfortunately. I am already running a 20moa base and with the BDC reticle I should be good out to 1000 yrds. I would probably be more interested in the 600 yard shoot for my first attemp since the furthest I have been able to shoot was out to 350 yards. Will certainly look into all of this and I am sure there will be some supplies I will have to gather before I can attend a match.

All you need is rifle, ammo, and binoculars or spotting scope. The optics are not for you, they are for when you are taking your turn as scorekeeper for the other shooter you are squadded with.

Everything else, you can borrow.

It is far more important to show up than to worry about gear and stuff. We are all friends on the firing line.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The match on Sunday ended up getting postponed for rain. The rescheduled date is October 12.

I can see giving it a try a little closer up the first time. There's also a 300 yard prone match at the Fort Wayne Rifle & Revolver Club on October 26. I'm not sure how far of a drive that is for you. But that shoot is usually pretty casual.

FYI...the Central Indiana Highpower Shooters website is currently reporting that the Oct. 12 date is a no-go, pending resolution of the Gov't. Shutdown.

I don't know if you should go ahead and send your info to Sue, as a "provisional" in case the GOP caves, or what, but just wanted to make sure everyone knew.

Top Bottom