• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wilson380AR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    He said the US Constitution was only designed to last ten years. If the founding fathers returned today they would say we are crazy to hold on to it.

I was not even going to but my way into that one.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    He said the US Constitution was only designed to last ten years. If the founding fathers returned today they would say we are crazy to hold on to it.

I was not even going to but my way into that one.

He's absolutely right. I've heard it on good authority that it's clearly printed on the back of the original document that there was a 10-year expiration date.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If the founding fathers were alive today, they'd have other things to worry about:

[video=youtube;iclljvDoxFs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iclljvDoxFs[/video]

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I'm sure he didn't think of this himself. That means there are others that believe this, and they all vote.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

In a minor way he is correct.

The founding fathers were extremely humble and knew that they couldn't create a government that didn't grow, shrink and adapt as needed.

This is why they threw in the IXth Amendment, to allow for rights they could not list individually.

Also, they created a framework for changing the Constitution. They made it difficult enough so that it wouldn't be done on a whim but not so difficult that it would be nigh impossible.

It was this ability for the Constitution to grow and contract that did allow it to incorporate the Bill of Rights just four (4) years after its creation! So the Constitution, as originally written, DID change four (4) years later. They knew when it was written that the Bill of Rights was a promised addition to the original score, to appease the anti-biggovernment crowd.

However, it isn't the words of the Constitution that we should hold dear. Rather, it is the values, principles and moral compass that it encompasses that is of eternal reverence.

Regards,

Doug

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Your friend is probably referencing (very badly, I might add), the Thomas Jefferson belief (relayed to James Madison) that the Constitution, and laws in general, should be re-written every 19 years, stating:

Every constitution, then, and every law, naturally expires at the end of nineteen years. If it be enforced longer, it is an act of force, and not of right.
    Popular Basis of Political Authority: Thomas Jefferson to James Madison

While Jefferson makes a convincing argument, nothing of the sort was ever put into law.

Top Bottom