• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierglock40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Awhile back I had a situation happen while driving through a bad part of town and wondering what you would have done differently in the same situation.

Driving home after dark in a bad part of town as I come up to a red light. There is a car parked/"broken down" with 4-ways on at the light on my side of the road. I thought it was curious that they had broken down at such a convenient location so I decided to stay back a ways. I was driving my truck and it has dark tinted windows so there was no way that these people were seeing inside. As I come to a stop, a lady that appears to be in her 30's(Not a nice school teacher lady, we are in the ghetto) gets out of the drivers side and waves for me to pull up there. I declined and just continued to sit there, windows up , doors locked. she proceeds to walk back to my truck and comes to the passenger's side door. I watched her hands and she wasn't carrying anything but was wearing a coat since it was cold outside. My handgun was already drawn and sitting on the seat next to me just in case. (The light is still red and I am the only person at the intersection but it is busy so I still would be unable to turn right even though I needed to go straight) I didn't roll down the window so she started talking through the window. She asks if I have any jumper cables because her car died, I answer no. I'm not trying to get out of my vehicle after dark on this side of town. She then proceeds to ask if I have any change for gas. At this point I am for sure this is not a good situation and answer in a firm voice " No, I can't help you". As I was answering a VERY large man (read 6' 5", 300lbs, thug) gets out of the passenger side of her car and starts walking back to the truck. I flipped on the interior light to make it known that I was armed without pointing the gun at anyone because technically they had not really presented a threat to me yet but it was very obvious where it was headed, she looks down at the gun I am holding, doesn't freak out, takes a step back from the truck and turns to the man walking towards me and shakes her head. At this time the light was finally green and I wasted no time getting out of there.

This all happened very quickly and the rest of my way home I proceeded to think about what I could have/should have done differently. I stayed attentive and was checking my mirrors the whole time to make sure nobody was coming up behind me and I would've just backed up and drove away but the road was too small for me to whip it around so it would have had to be a 3 point turn which isn't exactly a quick escape. The last thing I wanted to do is start a gun fight at all, let alone in the middle of a neighborhood and my vehicle would have been my first choice if it came to that.

How would you have reacted differently? What's your plan for when someone approaches your vehicle and it's not practical/possible for you to drive away?

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    Honestly the only other thing that could've been done. You handled that very well and VERY observant. My dad always told me to watch for little odd things with broke down cars (he's a mechanic and I was raised under the hoods), if it's running and it doesn't have a flat...don't even think about stopping. If it's men...never stop lol If it's a pretty woman...at least stare as you slowly drive by :ladiesman:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Excellent work. Always leave room to maneuver around other vehicles in things go sideways. As far as running a light to escape - I have done that more than once in situations like the one you described. Just go. Don't trust anyone - there really are monsters out there. I think maybe you saw a couple. When I was a young man I used to always stop and help people and even pick up hitchhikers. I don't do that anymore.

MrJohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    West Lafayette
    Looks to me like you did what you should have. Put in that situation I would likely have done exactly the same, although I may not have drawn so soon unless I was carrying IWB while driving.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I would imagine that after the OP's "incident" the perps packed up their road show for the night - unless they really like talking to cops. Of course nothing would happen to them unless the OP agreed to ID them in a line up. Hoosierglock - you probably saved some other people from the road show. Anytime you are stopped on a road and cannot move out - keep your head on a swivel. This is a very old trick - and it usually is quite successful because most people travel around in Condition White.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Monday morning quarterbacking....but maybe pulled out your cell phone and called 911 while on speaker phone. If they needed help, they'd get it. If not, well then...

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    You're wondering if you did the right thing? Hell, if you had not been in the ghetto in the first place you would not be wondering now. You did alright when confronted, but failed by being there to start with.

I'm reading a book called "Tactical Pistol Shooting" written by two guys in the Special Forces. Quote: "The armed citizen must be cognizant of his surroundings; he must be able to anticipate and AVOID, if possible, any potentially dangerous situations." To be there was not smart and hopefully you will make more intelligent choices in the future. Be safe.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You're wondering if you did the right thing? Hell, if you had not been in the ghetto in the first place you would not be wondering now. You did alright when confronted, but failed by being there to start with...

Right, those fine folks weren't running that "game" there with a fear of unannounced cops showing or being reported by someone in the hood.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Now that I have the luxury of avoiding such areas by choice, I see far few potentially troublesome situations. When I lived in California 1987-91, not so much!

Still, given the circumstances in which he found himself, the original poster did well. The woman shaking her head at what was most assuredly her accomplice is indicative of a victory for the good guys.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Yes--To a POINT....

You're wondering if you did the right thing? Hell, if you had not been in the ghetto in the first place you would not be wondering now. You did alright when confronted, but failed by being there to start with.

I'm reading a book called "Tactical Pistol Shooting" written by two guys in the Special Forces. Quote: "The armed citizen must be cognizant of his surroundings; he must be able to anticipate and AVOID, if possible, any potentially dangerous situations." To be there was not smart and hopefully you will make more intelligent choices in the future. Be safe.

Snow, I am old enough, and wise enough to completely agree with you==THINK about what you are doing...

BUT..

I am "Hardheaded" enough to not let ANYONE take my FREEDOM from me...

If I have to plan my World around what the THUGS are going to do, or where they MAY?? be, then am I REALLY Free???....Bill.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill

There are people who need to work, live and commute in the hood. Not everyone's life is 9-5 in suburbia.

You're assuming too much about it being an unintelligent choice to be there at that time. OP said he was driving home. Should we the citizens of this city make detour's to avoid every shadey corner.

OP I think you did very well. If you were joyriding in the hood, then you should stop doing that. I don't see driving home as a risk that needs to be eliminated from anyone in this country.

hoosierglock40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2014
    Indianapolis

I 100% agree with you in the fact that avoiding bad situations from the beginning is always the first choice. However, I don't intentionally joy ride around the hood. This commute was not by choice and I am glad that the 4 months that I had to make this commute is now over and resulted in no harm to me or my property and resulted in an experience that I can learn from to prepare myself for any future encounters.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I agree, I think you did great. Probably much better then a lot of people I know. Just the other day a good friend at work was telling me about how she was approached by a questionable person down on Pendleton Pike. Had her window down, door unlocked but got lucky and got home safe. It could have turned out much worse. I'll be sure to tell her this story.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    The key word is AVOID. hoosierglock40, you did not say you were coming home FROM work, just on your way home. My first comment is 100% right, unless you have to.

billybob44, I'm hardheaded too, but there is no need on my part to go were I'm not wanted (what enjoyment is that?)and there is nothing I can do to stop the unwanted from coming to me. There is a difference. When the guy who tried to kill me gets out of prison, there is no need to change what I'm doing now. An intelligent person knows what is right and wrong and freedom does not mean putting you or your family at unneeded risk.

Top Bottom