• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I am kind of surprised by the university's rather gentle response to that person breaking their rules. It seems to me they are being as nice as possible about the situation. Obviously, your friend shouldn't have told anyone that he was breaking the rules, but that's in the past now. I'm with the others here that say don't give a response, or give a response saying "I will respect your rules...blah blah blah" and continue to carry.

I think raising a further stink won't be good for him/her. Might be best just to kiss their butts and thank them for not throwing him/her out, and just carry on making sure he/she never gets caught.

I think the gentle response is because the individual did NOT admit to carrying, but was rather discussing his/her waiting time for the LTCH. I was wrong when I stated earlier that he/she had admitted to carrying, but just simply admitted to having a license!

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I think the gentle response is because the individual did NOT admit to carrying, but was rather discussing his/her waiting time for the LTCH. I was wrong when I stated earlier that he/she had admitted to carrying, but just simply admitted to having a license!

Then, having admitted nothing, I would suggest the individual in question lawyer up and only respond through counsel.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Admit nothing. Appear to comply. Solves immediate problem. Broader problems and rights can be addressed later but I always took the don't ask don't tell achieve your goals and avoid any added drama approach to institutions that really just won't understand.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Wow, then what a joke! I guess the university feels it owns this individual on and off campus then. Still I think a response merely saying he/she "never had any plans to break their rules," wouldn't be a bad idea, and just carry anyway.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I think, from the advice so far, that the individual will not only be not carrying, but will not be replying to the policies, at least until the semester is over. He/she had already not felt safe and secure at this institution, and this is only making it worse. While carrying would make the individual feel somewhat more safe, it is not worth the risk of expulsion and being out thousands of dollars.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Universities in Kentucky can prohibit open or concealed carry, but they cannot prohibit the carrying of firearms on to campus if secured in your vehicle. This was most recently (that I'm aware of) upheld by the Kentucky Supreme Court in a judgement against the University of Kentucky in 2012.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Steve, you might consider adding that since the university has stated that their policy does not allow defensive tools on campus, they have, by default, assumed responsibility for the personal safety of each and every student, faculty member, and visitor.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Steve, you might consider adding that since the university has stated that their policy does not allow defensive tools on campus, they have, by default, assumed responsibility for the personal safety of each and every student, faculty member, and visitor.
    I was thinking of that, but at this point I don't know if there will be a reply, even if I want to very badly.

9x18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    Central Florida
    "It has been brought to our attention that you have a carry & conceal license and are carrying a firearm with you." I might of missed something, but how exactly do they know? if someone said something, then its just a rumor. If the person in question said, then he/she open their mouth. Now if the university snooped around, there is a a lot more question to them then the person in question, possibly with a lawyer. I my self a student, while I don't break laws, I leave some thing unsaid or untold most of the time.

jumpjet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Universities in Kentucky can prohibit open or concealed carry, but they cannot prohibit the carrying of firearms on to campus if secured in your vehicle. This was most recently (that I'm aware of) upheld by the Kentucky Supreme Court in a judgement against the University of Kentucky in 2012.

You are correct. Just to add to this, the case was Mitchell v. University of Kentucky. It is a really interesting read. Here's an excerpt:

Mitchell asserts a cause of action for termination in violation of public policy under KRS 527.020(8).  KRS 527.020 is a criminal statute, which prohibits the carrying of a concealed weapon. KRS 527.020(1).   The statute then proceeds to describe exceptions.  KRS 527.020(8) applies generally to all persons: 

A firearm or other deadly weapon shall not be deemed concealed on or about the person if it is located in a glove compartment, regularly installed in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer, regardless of whether said compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism.   No person or organization, public or private, shall prohibit a person from keeping a firearm or ammunition, or both, or other deadly weapon in a glove compartment of a vehicle in accordance with the provisions of this subsection.   Any attempt by a person or organization, public or private, to violate the provisions of this subsection may be the subject of an action for appropriate relief or for damages in a Circuit Court or District Court of competent jurisdiction.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Sounds like a bait and switch. They make you think they know you're carrying even though they actually don't, then when you admit that you do-Aha! Gotcha! You're expelled!

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Sounds like a bait and switch. They make you think they know you're carrying even though they actually don't, then when you admit that you do-Aha! Gotcha! You're expelled!

+1 I was thinking the same thing. I would be extremely cautious about what (if anything) you say. I think your current plan of just quietly finishing out the semester is probably best.

I'm not sure you're going to find any university or college that allows concealed carry. Does such a thing exist? The student in question may have to settle for finding the best school they can and then live off campus.

jumpjet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Indianapolis
    They do exist, depending on what state you're in.

6 states now have provisions allowing the carrying of concealed weapons on public postsecondary campuses - Colorado, Kansas, Mississippi, Oregon, Utah, and Wisconsin.

Utah remains the only state to have statute naming public colleges/universities as public entities that do not have the authority to ban concealed carry. So all 10 public institutions in Utah allow concealed weapons on their property.

Top Bottom