• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Saturday I bought the wife a new laptop from Best Buy for Mother's Day. A rather large, yellow-shirted "security guy" bellowed, "Sir, I need to see your receipt." Looking him in the eye, smiling as I walked past him I said, "No, you don't."

On a somewhat sadder side note, I've come to realize how dim the screen on my laptop has become! Lowers. LPKs, laptops, so many Ls, so few Benjamins!

I worked at a "store" a couple years ago as contract armed security and we were told to "check" receipts for a couple weeks - new store. I just simply asked if I could see their receipt. They dropped that after they got the LP guys all settled in though.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I just don't find it offensive when Wally World asks me to see a receipt when I'm walking out the door with large unbagged items (that's usually what triggers them to ask). Maybe I should, but I don't see a problem with someone wanting to make sure an item is paid for. The way I look at it, if they can keep enough sticky-fingered idiots from steeling stuff with this method, they can better afford to keep MY prices low. Good enough for me.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I just don't find it offensive when Wally World asks me to see a receipt when I'm walking out the door with large unbagged items (that's usually what triggers them to ask). Maybe I should, but I don't see a problem with someone wanting to make sure an item is paid for. The way I look at it, if they can keep enough sticky-fingered idiots from steeling stuff with this method, they can better afford to keep MY prices low. Good enough for me.

The BG Walmart stops people at random, and if you have anything not in a bag. Like milk. Yes, I bought all this bagged stuff, but I snuck over and stole a $1.98 gallon of milk. Right.

I got stopped once for having a loaf of bread on top of the other bagged groceries. I had put my receipt in my wallet, so I had to fumble for it, grabbed a receipt and handed to the Door Nazi, she glanced at it, handed it back to me and said "Thank you".

I got to the car, reciept still in hand, happened to glance at it, and the reciept I gave her was a month old and was for motor oil and windshield wipers, lol. No bread on it. :rolleyes:

SmallTownGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Roanoke
    Man thats something I don't understand, if its a state law then you'd think it'd be posted, I haven't seen it anywhere, hmm..I'll ask my family friends who are state police and see what they say about it but at the range I shoot (Huntington Reservoir shooting range), the guy said I can't even have a holster on my belt, also this is off topic but no rapid fire is allowed at all, if you rapid fire you're kicked out, i was doing some quick fire with a .22 and he came right up behind me like the range officer did with you and told me if I didnt keep it slow i'd be kicked out, i understand the rule with not allowing automatics because yeah there are some idiots out there who would go hog wild and just lay on the trigger but people train with rapid fire because its not like you have the time to take a stance, aim, and take your time with a shot during a encounter, what are they supposed to do with a stupid regulation like that

gunrunner0320

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Anderson
    my brother and i go to wilbur wright a lot and the range oficers there never bother us much at all one told us we couldnt shoot plastic bottles but thats ok and one has even went and got him self some thing to eat , and left us there by our self,s and try to help if theres a need . i have never went sooting any were but there? but i thought id put my 2 cents in

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Saturday I bought the wife a new laptop from Best Buy for Mother's Day. A rather large, yellow-shirted "security guy" bellowed, "Sir, I need to see your receipt." Looking him in the eye, smiling as I walked past him I said, "No, you don't."

If you knew how much money simply walks out the doors of most stores you would not feel upset at them asking you to see it. I am familiar with a Best Buy in Ohio that lost over $100,000 in theft in about a 9 month period!

I never take offense, just show them and be done. It is the job they have whether or not you agree with it you know? It has to suck already lol, why make it harder on those guys? Once I found out about some of the amount of stealing going on I understood better, I NEVER though it would be so bad. It's not something I think about but it is rampant. Sad really.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    If you knew how much money simply walks out the doors of most stores you would not feel upset at them asking you to see it. I am familiar with a Best Buy in Ohio that lost over $100,000 in theft in about a 9 month period!

90% of all instore theft is employee/vendor related. It's not a made up number, it's the truth. The reciept checks are a joke. For the most part when something walks out of store that doesn't fit down a customers pants, it goes out with the help of an employee... either that or the in depth studies show the cashiers simply fail to ring up an item "assuming" it scanned when it went across the reader.

Again I don't mind showing a reciept when I leave with an unbagged item, but showing a receipt "just to show it" is bullcrap. I never do. Like most other people I say "No thanks" and keep walking.

I never take offense, just show them and be done. It is the job they have whether or not you agree with it you know? It has to suck already lol, why make it harder on those guys? Once I found out about some of the amount of stealing going on I understood better, I NEVER though it would be so bad. It's not something I think about but it is rampant. Sad really.

You do realize it's not about the schmuck working the door making buck fifty an hour right? It's about the corporation policies.

I never buy into the "they have a tough enough job" bit. Especially for a guy whose entire job is stand at a door with a marker in his hand in a climate controlled enviroment. I could give a flying 'f if the person takes it personally.

Don't like your job? Is it too tough? Get a new one or do it and quit bitching.

That position would be better spent having the person watching all the security cameras, than harrassing the legitimate shoppers.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN

Example:

I have a family member who used to work at Wal-Mart in another state. There was a customer that came in and purchased a large flat screen TV. She paid for it and left the store. About an hour later, she came in again, plopped another TV of the same model on top of her cart, and walzed right out the front door with it... without paying. How? Cause she had the receipt from the first one with her. Wally World didn't know what hit 'em until 10 minutes after she was gone.

And yes, I asked the obvious question... no it wasn't a 2 for 1 special. ;)

So don't be ticked at Wally World or Best Buy for trying to protect their assets. Be ticked at the SOB's that steal their stuff.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington

Between RFID, laptops locked in cages, printer cartridges locked in individual plastic boxes, security cameras I get fed up. Yeah, I know it's a result of the actions of a few and that it's the guy's job, but it is still currently my right whether I comply with what really amounts to social engineering. Just because I have nothing to hide and they are trying to get a handle on loss prevention is no reason to allow my belongings to be searched, is it? :twocents:

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    Interesting, I've shot a few times at Kingsbury. I thought I had carried last time but maybe I'm wrong. One of the range officers noticed my Warthog and brought out his full size Para Ordnance and even let me shoot it as it had the post over dot sight the name of which I forget at this time. He didnt care for the sight because he felt he lost precision with it.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    There are general range rules, and there are site specific range rules for each facility. They should always be posted in plain sight. At Atterbury the rule is (No holstered firearms-No exceptions). That includes cops, military, permit holders, or range officers. It is posted three times before you enter the building. That rule is a site specific rule for that range only.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Here is the info on Kingsbury:

Kingsbury

5344 S. Hupp Road
    LaPorte, IN 46350
    (219) 393-3612

They give a second phone number for the range: Phone: (219) 393-1128

It's pretty bad when the ill conceived actions of an RSO become the safety problem. There is no such 'state law'. If they want that as a range rule it should (and may be) published. But his actions were unsafe, unprofessional and reflect poorly on the range. Maybe a hundred phone calls would help them get the point?

Stay safe!

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    There are general range rules, and there are site specific range rules for each facility. They should always be posted in plain sight. At Atterbury the rule is (No holstered firearms-No exceptions).

I agree buzz, it may be their rule, but the actions of the RSO were poor judgement. Why not just wait until there is a natural break in the action and kindly remind the guy what the deal is and have the situation controlled and safe for everyone?

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    The no holstered firearm rule is posted on the bulletin board at the pay window at Kingsbury I have noticed it for the last 6 mo. The range officer should have used better judgment. But but the OP. have read the rules .

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Example:

I have a family member who used to work at Wal-Mart in another state. There was a customer that came in and purchased a large flat screen TV. She paid for it and left the store. About an hour later, she came in again, plopped another TV of the same model on top of her cart, and walzed right out the front door with it... without paying. How? Cause she had the receipt from the first one with her. Wally World didn't know what hit 'em until 10 minutes after she was gone.

And yes, I asked the obvious question... no it wasn't a 2 for 1 special. ;)

So don't be ticked at Wally World or Best Buy for trying to protect their assets. Be ticked at the SOB's that steal their stuff.

I used to work retail and it's amazing what walks out the door. We were always told never to stop anyone but only to get a description and report the person, or if they were still in the store follow them around constantly asking if they needed help, with an extra big smile of course! There was one person "certified" to stop and question people.... scrawny mild aged manager... I just kept a cleveland wedge behind my register (a customer threw it at me one day and it became my "unruly customer club")

Back on topic though. Anyone gets close enough to tug at anything near my waist especially if I have a large object in my hand (let alone a loaded rifle) is gonna feel pain... unless it's her (see below)... then I'll throw my hands up and surrender to whatever rules she wants.
    keira-knightley9.jpg

Keep us posted on your progress trying to rectify the situation.

Last edited:

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I used to work retail and it's amazing what walks out the door. We were always told never to stop anyone but only to get a description and report the person, or if they were still in the store follow them around constantly asking if they needed help, with an extra big smile of course! There was one person "certified" to stop and question people.... scrawny mild aged manager... I just kept a cleveland wedge behind my register (a customer threw it at me one day and it became my "unruly customer club")

Back on topic though. Anyone gets close enough to tug at anything near my waist especially if I have a large object in my hand (let alone a loaded rifle) is gonna feel pain... unless it's her (see below)... then I'll throw my hands up and surrender to whatever rules she wants.
    keira-knightley9.jpg

Keep us posted on your progress trying to rectify the situation.

Is that little Natalie Portman?
    Natalie_Portman_1.jpg
    jawdropper.gif

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I agree buzz, it may be their rule, but the actions of the RSO were poor judgement. Why not just wait until there is a natural break in the action and kindly remind the guy what the deal is and have the situation controlled and safe for everyone?
    I agree with you. The RSO was out of bounds and should have been reported. No RSO should grab any firearm from an individual unless it is to prevent someone from getting hurt. That clearly was not the case in the above situation.

Top Bottom