• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    First, I don't consider myself at any risk of losing "creds" at any GS. When I intend to purchase a firearm, I look online, visit gun shops, and go to Gun Shows. If a GS wants MY BUSINESS, they will meet the price I expect to pay. When I purchase Automobiles I do the same thing. I don't intend to have to be "best buddies" with a GS to get a decent deal. I expect them to make money - just not all of it from me. I am respectful when dealing with any business and expect them to be the same. I like to support local businesses and will normally give them the first opportunity to take my money, however my support does not extend deeply into my Wallet.

Most of my purchases have been from individuals (both vehicles and firearms). Normally the prices are quite a bit lower as the individual does not have overhead and I usually buy used (vehicles and firearms). As a collector, I do research heavily prior to purchase of a firearm and try to be well educated both on going prices of the item and possible problems (recalls, Chamber / barrel, other issues particular to the item) so I can do an intelligent inspection of the firearm.

I have purchased one rifle from an individual that tried to sell it in a gun store a few years ago. The clerk low-balled the gentleman ($25 for a Marlin 60 22cal) the seller asked for $30 and was refused so he left the store. I walked out behind him as he was leaving and purchased the rifle in the parking lot for $30 (this was about 20 years ago). I don't consider that deal as an insult to the GS as they had already concluded their negotiations. I wasn't really in the market to purchase that firearm, so the shop didn't lose any business from either of us. The price we settled on was just to good to pass up.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Why all the concern about the low ball offer? Certainly the shop isn't going to pay anyway near what they get a new gun for wholesale. As has been stated, most shops will offer 60% of the going used price for a gun that they know will sell. They may not really want the pistol very much for a number of reasons. These shops have overhead and must work at a profit. Gun folks seem to get all upset that a gun shop wants to make 20%-40% profit for selling a gun, but will go to WalMart and pay over 100% profit for some clothing made by a sweat shop in China.

As has been stated, attempting to make a private transaction in a gun shop will get you thrown out. I don't get my feelings hurt by someone offering me a low price for a gun I have for sale. I simply say, "No thank you!" I have gotten a little ticked by someone on here asking what my bottom price is and then offering me 20% or more less. I was at a gun show and a guy (sitting along the wall) said he was interested in a gun I was carrying around. After telling him how much I was asking, he said, "I have a table and I have to resell it for a profit, so I could only pay this $_______." I thought, "Really, that sounds like a personal problem. I want to sell it to an individual who wants the gun to shoot!" Still, I didn't get upset at the guy for the low ball offer.

Purdue1000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Kendallville
    Why all the concern about the low ball offer? Certainly the shop isn't going to pay anyway near what they get a new gun for wholesale. As has been stated, most shops will offer 60% of the going used price for a gun that they know will sell. They may not really want the pistol very much for a number of reasons. These shops have overhead and must work at a profit. Gun folks seem to get all upset that a gun shop wants to make 20%-40% profit for selling a gun, but will go to WalMart and pay over 100% profit for some clothing made by a sweat shop in China.

As has been stated, attempting to make a private transaction in a gun shop will get you thrown out. I don't get my feelings hurt by someone offering me a low price for a gun I have for sale. I simply say, "No thank you!" I have gotten a little ticked by someone on here asking what my bottom price is and then offering me 20% or more less. I was at a gun show and a guy (sitting along the wall) said he was interested in a gun I was carrying around. After telling him how much I was asking, he said, "I have a table and I have to resell it for a profit, so I could only pay this $_______." I thought, "Really, that sounds like a personal problem. I want to sell it to an individual who wants the gun to shoot!" Still, I didn't get upset at the guy for the low ball offer.

Totally agree shops are almost always going to give what you would consider a low ball offer. A smaller local shop may have offered a little more.

Top Bottom