• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This.

There is so little gun discussion these days it's not even funny. The bulk of the posts in handguns is a CZ thread that really fits in breakroom. There's rarely any actual CZ discussion in there at all. If you take that thread away, you have 3 or 4 posts about guns a day at best.
    INGO has become a place where the only posts that get traction are political / philosophical / humor centered.
    Though I'm not very good, I shoot often. 3 or 4 times a week from Kentucky to Terre Haute area, sometimes doing 3 events in a week. You see a lot of the same people. The folks that are actually out shooting, and with a few notable exceptions, almost none of them are on INGO. They've heard of it, but don't participate. The handful I've talked to about it had some interesting perceptions of it. I don't even ask people if they're on here anymore.

INGO isn't really about guns anymore. It's more like a private group conversation. Remember those old guns shops that had the daily regulars sitting on stools with an opinion on everything? that's what INGO looks like. Not saying that's bad or anything, but it's not a place many actual shooters hang out. (Again ther are some notable exceptions).

You can see it in the post counts. Across the board it's not actual gun related posts.

We need to get you to post more good posts like this one, my friend. :ingo:

INGOers are happy to talk about gun stuff, just gotta prompt them along. Lets talk about guns!

Are you shooting at Riley CC in Terre Haute? There are a lot of INGOers who shoot there. A lot of them don't venture out of the shooting sports and training sections of INGO.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The issue with lack of gun related posts is complicated. Part of it is that most of us have discussed the common things (EDC, caliber, etc.) many many times. How many times do you do the pocket dump?
    Another problem is every time someone posts something someone has to take a dump on them, so you don't do it again. If someone posts a picture of their target when they give a range report, they are informed how poorly they shoot. If someone posts a picture of their new to them, cheap gun, someone points out it is junk. If someone posts a picture of their expensive new gun, someone points out they have more money than sense.
    Now someone can point out I am full of ****. Just my 2 cents.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    The issue with lack of gun related posts is complicated. Part of it is that most of us have discussed the common things (EDC, caliber, etc.) many many times. How many times do you do the pocket dump?
    Another problem is every time someone posts something someone has to take a dump on them, so you don't do it again. If someone posts a picture of their target when they give a range report, they are informed how poorly they shoot. If someone posts a picture of their new to them, cheap gun, someone points out it is junk. If someone posts a picture of their expensive new gun, someone points out they have more money than sense.
    Now someone can point out I am full of ****. Just my 2 cents.

That good sir is incorrect. You must remember to correct for inflation and the declining current market situation. I think your $.02 is probably closer to $.39 at this point.

On a more serious note Expat, you make a very good point. In fact, this very thread has several posts that throw shade at the OP. The OP was trying to start a "conversation." Nothing more.
    If you do not like the thread hit the back button on your browser and read something else or start your own thread. There is nothing in the rules that says you must post a reply...especially a snarky reply.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    There is also nothing in the rules saying you must refrain from or cannot post a snarky reply ... just saying ... in a snarky way

BLUF:
    As my kids would say: "What ev."
    You are correct. You can choose to be an asshat if you want. (you in the collective sense, not necessarily you, JT)

Long version.
    One goal of have a set of forums like INGO is to have conversations. Meaningful conversations. The forum's success depends on interaction. EG: conversations.
    If you do not like what you read, don't post/add to the thread. If no one responds, the thread dies and sinks to the bottom quickly.
    If you are constantly being an asshat just because you don't like someone else's thread, you not only discourage them, you discourage many others...especially new people that the forums need (and yeah, new blood is a good thing).

Laugh or poke fun all you want but I am here to contribute as my time allows. Sometimes people like my comments and throw rep points my, sometimes my inputs are ignored.
    I don't take it personally when the latter happens...I consider it another learning experience.

When I look at your stats (JT) I see that of your 770 posts, 221 are (selling) in the classified ads.
    So my only question is: Are you contributing to meaningful exchanges or just being critical for the sake of being critical? Think about that.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    BLUF:
    You are correct. You can choose to be an asshat if you want. (you in the collective sense, not necessarily you, JT)

Long version.
    One goal of have a set of forums like INGO is to have conversations. Meaningful conversations. The forum's success depends on interaction. EG: conversations.
    If you do not like what you read, don't post/add to the thread. If no one responds, the thread dies and sinks to the bottom quickly.
    If you are constantly being an asshat just because you don't like someone else's thread, you not only discourage them, you discourage many others...especially new people that the forums need (and yeah, new blood is a good thing).

Laugh or poke fun all you want but I am here to contribute as my time allows. Sometimes people like my comments and throw rep points my, sometimes my inputs are ignored.
    I don't take it personally when the latter happens...I consider it another learning experience.

When I look at your stats (JT) I see that of your 770 posts, 221 are (selling) in the classified ads.
    So my only question is: Are you contributing to meaningful exchanges or just being critical for the sake of being critical? Think about that.

I get the point you're trying to make here STFU, but I'm not sure what you're going for with the last bit about the post count.

As someone who knows TJ personally (at least little bit) through having been trained by him at several Revere's Riders events, I know what he's about and you are way off base. I don't want to turn this thread into the proverbial measuring contest, but TJ devotes more time to promoting and teaching people about shooting sports than probably 95% of the people on this board. I personally am more well regulated because of his instruction.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

Also, if meaningful discussion is the goal, where is the OP? He hasn't been back since the first post. He's demonstrated in other threads he doesn't mind having an opinion and defending it, even when others disagree. So I doubt it's because anyone commenting here ran him off.

Last edited:

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I get the point you're trying to make here STFU, but I'm not sure what you're going for with the last bit about the post count.

As someone who knows TJ personally (at least little bit) through having been trained by him at several Revere's Riders events, I know what he's about and you are way off base. I don't want to turn this thread into the proverbial measuring contest, but TJ devotes more time to promoting and teaching people about shooting sports than probably 95% of the people on this board. I personally am more well regulated because of his instruction.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

Also, if meaningful discussion is the goal, where is the OP? He hasn't been back since the first post. He's demonstrated in other threads he doesn't mind having an opinion and defending it, even when others disagree. So I doubt it's because anyone commenting here ran him off.

Where I was going with that "last bit" had do with the number of people that come in get there 50 post min and spend the rest of their time just selling. We have entire threads dedicated to it...we see it a lot.
    If you as a GM know JT "personally" and "know what he is about," fair enough. If I am wrong, I am wrong. I have no problem admitting an error.

As for Trapper Jim bailing out on his own thread...just ignore his post.
    I'm not making excuses for the guy but I rarely read his threads...I also don't feel the need bash him.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My main reason for not spending more time in T&T is that there is not much conversation about opportunities in NWI.

I would like to see NWI trainers post more about classes.

Competitors reach out to me to come and learn about their competitions.

Matches to be posted and AARed.

Discussion about opportunities to learn and compete.

I understand that people are busy, but if you are a trainer or competitor and you are not reaching out, you are not going to get new blood.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    This.

There is so little gun discussion these days it's not even funny. The bulk of the posts in handguns is a CZ thread that really fits in breakroom. There's rarely any actual CZ discussion in there at all. If you take that thread away, you have 3 or 4 posts about guns a day at best.
    INGO has become a place where the only posts that get traction are political / philosophical / humor centered.
    Though I'm not very good, I shoot often. 3 or 4 times a week from Kentucky to Terre Haute area, sometimes doing 3 events in a week. You see a lot of the same people. The folks that are actually out shooting, and with a few notable exceptions, almost none of them are on INGO. They've heard of it, but don't participate. The handful I've talked to about it had some interesting perceptions of it. I don't even ask people if they're on here anymore.

INGO isn't really about guns anymore. It's more like a private group conversation. Remember those old guns shops that had the daily regulars sitting on stools with an opinion on everything? that's what INGO looks like. Not saying that's bad or anything, but it's not a place many actual shooters hang out. (Again ther are some notable exceptions).

You can see it in the post counts. Across the board it's not actual gun related posts.

I have found this to be true as well. If you don't report what you ate for dinner or it's cold outside it's hard to build up a post count. And it's common knowledge that without a high post count your opinion is not wanted in most discussions.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    BLUF:

Long version.

I've met the man, he is anything but an asshat, the amount of time Mr Kackowski volunteers with training is overwhelming...
    We should all strive to give the time he has and does...
    Sorry the board at Elwood CC were asshats TJ, it should have been a great thing...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This.

OK where to start. Lets see. OK here we go.

The CZ thread is pretty much 3 friends that used to (before health issues and life) get together every Thursday night and shoot.....a lot. We invited people to join us. And many did. We in the CZ thread are basically hold overs from the LT-6 group. That group has its own forum now so that the posts do not clutter up Ingo.
    The CZickness crowd are shooters and gun owners. We are very serious about it. Collectively we have modified/talked about said modifications/shared those modified guns until we have ran the entire Gamut on the CZ platform. There is just so little else to talk about in that concern. The 30 plus threads under that banner are rife with gun talk and it has set many on a path. 160,000 posts at the end of this thread. If you go back there is a major amount of gun talk and many threads have =been started from this. The rimfire thread comes to mind.

Now, after all this time and many many Gala events do you not think that we are not all actually friends out in the real world. We are. We are spread all across the state. The group has 2 major gatherings 1 in the spring and 1 in the fall. People open up their property or facility's for us. Problem is the 1st 3 hours is a social event. Then we get to the business on the firing line. We have as a group had charity's with Riley children's hospital as the recipient. I am running 1 right now with one of my hand built 1911's as the prize. If you all read the thread you are aware. Yet little if any participation from outside that group of friends. This will be the 4th such raffle. And it is out there to see.

What have you all done in this regard.

Yes, Ingo has spawned many of these groups. I am glad to have been involved with starting this one.

I see many are involved with training and advancing the hobby/passion. Ingo has something to do with this as well.
    Yes this is a gun forum but it is unique in the fact we have so many members that actually know each other. This generates the "Break Room" mentality some complain about yet do nothing to change the course of the forum.

In my activity's in here I see and read a lot. It has done much to change the way I see people in general. No way it could not have. In this I have met and befriended some of the best people I have ever known in my long time on this rock.

OK. I have said my piece. Lets talk guns.
    Or what ever else you have in mind OK.

Post count. It really does not mater as much as you all let on. Except the fact that when an opinion is set out as off base the opinion-ee will respond with the "Just a good old boys high post count" :bs: to cover their retreat. I see it all. My PM box gets slaughtered at times. Yes I have a very high post count. So what.

OK, so lets stop the harsh. Reset the course the forum is on. Things change. People change. And yes there is a lot of gun talk in here. WTAF people.
    I say people and not aimed at the member in my response. KML just made some points I needed to respond to and aim at the masses.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That good sir is incorrect. You must remember to correct for inflation and the declining current market situation. I think your $.02 is probably closer to $.39 at this point.

On a more serious note Expat, you make a very good point. In fact, this very thread has several posts that throw shade at the OP. The OP was trying to start a "conversation." Nothing more.
    If you do not like the thread hit the back button on your browser and read something else or start your own thread. There is nothing in the rules that says you must post a reply...especially a snarky reply.

Bingo. Winner.
    Man this hits point.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Like all of the threads on INGO, this one has evolved. It’s what happens.

The “break room” type conversations develop because we all know each other. They are not private conversations, as they are had out in the open. If you go to any shooting competition, you will see the same thing, before, and especially after a match. People that know each other gather and discuss life. It’s called friendship.

ChurchMouse and I have known each other most of the time we have been on INGO. We met on INGO. I honestly could not count how many times we have shot together. We know each other’s wives, kids, grandkids, life histories, and medical histories. It is this way with most in the CZ thread.

This a gun forum, and we are all into guns and shooting, but we can’t talk about guns 100% of the time, just like the clubhouse at the shooting range. If you’ve been here any amount of time, you have surely heard that INGO is a community, not a classifieds site? Be part of the community, and get to know people.

Hey Expat, what’s for breakfast?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    To me the CZickness thread is what anyone might hope their forum would evolve into. You start with a topic and many people seem to be drawn to it. That topic is discussed six ways to Sunday and, over this time, people develop relationships that go beyond the topic. People bond together and become a community. This particular community enjoys a place where they can go and discuss the topics of the day, and CZs, or whatever life happens to throw at them at a given moment. It gets tossed around and beaten to death in some cases until the next thing comes along. But in all this is a place where you can go and hang your hat, chew the fat, and not worry about your opinions being trashed, your choices being mocked (other than in fun) and snark is just not really found.

I started this thread because I was pretty ate up with CZs and wanted a place where they could be discussed. That's why it's in the Handgun area. It has since evolved into so much more than that. You may not like it, and that's okay, but I am rather proud of what this little community has become. There have been a lot of changes over the years but the one thing that really hasn't changed is the sense of community. As CM said we've done some good things out in the real world and that's a fine thing. We've made a place where people can drop by and be among friends. Please tell me how on earth that is a bad thing. It's like the old time corner bar sans alcohol.

The thing is, everyone is welcome. If you want to talk about CZs there is a lot of knowledge and experience with that platform in the thread. Ask a question. Join in. Anyway, this isn't written in defense of the thread because it needs no defense. It is what it is and, instead of talking it down, how about stopping by and asking a question or giving us the benefit of your experience with CZs. I'm sure, if it isn't just a bomb thrown in to get everyone riled up, that whoever happens to be there will be more than happy to discuss it ad nauseum.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    To me the CZickness thread is what anyone might hope their forum would evolve into. You start with a topic and many people seem to be drawn to it. That topic is discussed six ways to Sunday and, over this time, people develop relationships that go beyond the topic. People bond together and become a community. This particular community enjoys a place where they can go and discuss the topics of the day, and CZs, or whatever life happens to throw at them at a given moment. It gets tossed around and beaten to death in some cases until the next thing comes along. But in all this is a place where you can go and hang your hat, chew the fat, and not worry about your opinions being trashed, your choices being mocked (other than in fun) and snark is just not really found.

I started this thread because I was pretty ate up with CZs and wanted a place where they could be discussed. That's why it's in the Handgun area. It has since evolved into so much more than that. You may not like it, and that's okay, but I am rather proud of what this little community has become. There have been a lot of changes over the years but the one thing that really hasn't changed is the sense of community. As CM said we've done some good things out in the real world and that's a fine thing. We've made a place where people can drop by and be among friends. Please tell me how on earth that is a bad thing. It's like the old time corner bar sans alcohol.

The thing is, everyone is welcome. If you want to talk about CZs there is a lot of knowledge and experience with that platform in the thread. Ask a question. Join in. Anyway, this isn't written in defense of the thread because it needs no defense. It is what it is and, instead of talking it down, how about stopping by and asking a question or giving us the benefit of your experience with CZs. I'm sure, if it isn't just a bomb thrown in to get everyone riled up, that whoever happens to be there will be more than happy to discuss it ad nauseum.

A great post.

Top Bottom