• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Win1300

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    New Palestine
    I happened upon this paw print along with others leading away from the guts of my buddies deer we field dressed opening day of shotgun. The prints were found Saturday, my last day out hunting. The guts were long gone by the second weekend of shotgun. The prints had to have been made either the 23rd or 24th. The area where they were found is on an incline and part of a driveway. So when it rains, water floods the area and runs down like a river.

I believe they are cougar prints. Also they were about 20 yards away from our cabin. My property butts up to the Hoosier National Forest and that is the direction it was walking. I know there have been about 230 sightings in Indiana within the last year. Only one confirmed sighting of a cougar.

I'm about 15 min outside of Paoli, IN.

390980_2479359816591_1030389907_32716150_334814552_n.jpg

Win1300

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    New Palestine
    That is a dog print. Cougars have staggered toes, and retracted claws. Here is a good link:
    www.bear-tracker.com/cougar.html
    www.bear-tracker.com/caninevsfeline.html

I did some research last year on tracking cougars. I am interested if anyone finds evidence of a cougar in Indiana.

Yes well I guess that solved that. Haha I was kind of hoping to catch one on a trail camera but I guess not!

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    It could be a wolf, or a large Labrador. Too big for a coyote though. One interesting thing about the gut pile...

I read somewhere that cougars dispose of the guts because they are sickened by them. Whereas a k9 would chew right into the soft tissue first thing, a large cat will push the guts aside, and drag the carcass behind a log or into some hidden brush to save for later.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    That is a dog print. Cougars have staggered toes, and retracted claws. Here is a good link:
    www.bear-tracker.com/cougar.html
    www.bear-tracker.com/caninevsfeline.html

I did some research last year on tracking cougars. I am interested if anyone finds evidence of a cougar in Indiana.

There have been multiple reported sightings in southern Indiana, and one has even been caught on a trail camera a time or two. Not sure if there has been any more recent confirmed sightings, but I seem to remember something from the Lawrence county/Bedford area coming out awhile back.

Greene County Daily World: Local News: Mountain lion: Several more unconfirmed Greene County sightings reported (05/10/10)

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    SideArmed;2373964 [URL="http://gcdailyworld.com/story/1633400.html" said:
    Greene County Daily World: Local News: Mountain lion: Several more unconfirmed Greene County sightings reported (05/10/10)[/URL]

Excellent photo. That is the clearest possible evidence.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Damn, you guys must have some monsters at home. I just checked my 105lb gsd, and he only has roughly 3 1/2-4 inch paws tops.

Top Bottom