Interesting Question posed in class today at Purdue.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    I was in class today and the topic my professor was discussing was violence in our society. He then asked how many of us (class of 39) have something to protect us while in our cars. I raised my hand and was shocked to see only 3 other hands. The professor then asked us individually what we were carrying to protect ourselves. So the prof calls on a female student and they inform him that they carry mace and a tazer, he then calls on another student who answered that he had a shovel in his trunk, he called on another female student who said she carried a switchblade. He then called on me and I informed him that I have a LTCH and that I do carry when I am not on campus. As soon as I said that I could the liberal whispering going on in the class(it was kind of funny to me). My professor being a retired army officer asked me what kind of pistol I carry and I told him that I carry a Glock 26. He told the class that he has a baseball bat and other things in his car to protect himself. I learned a couple a things from this discussion in class, colllege students seem to be very naive if only 3/10 people have something at all to protect themselves with(excluding the shovel in the trunk answer), How most of the class seemed shocked that I exercised my right to carry when not on campus, and I feel the professor gained a little respect for me, oh and I feel the professor carries but did not want to admit it.

Cliffnotes: 3/10 people in my class have something to protect themselves with, class seemed shocked when I informed them that I carry of campus.

I was surprised at the reaction from my classmates, This was the first time that I had publicly admitted to ccw, What are your guys thoughts on the reactions of my classmates? Also how do you feel about publicly informing a mixed group of people that you ccw? Some of the students are my friends, and some I have never met before. What do you guys think about the 3/10 students having something to protect themselves?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I was in class today and the topic my professor was discussing was violence in our society. He then asked how many of us (class of 39) have something to protect us while in our cars. I raised my hand and was shocked to see only 3 other hands. The professor then asked us individually what we were carrying to protect ourselves. So the prof calls on a female student and they inform him that they carry mace and a tazer, he then calls on another student who answered that he had a shovel in his trunk, he called on another female student who said she carried a switchblade. He then called on me and I informed him that I have a LTCH and that I do carry when I am not on campus. As soon as I said that I could the liberal whispering going on in the class(it was kind of funny to me). My professor being a retired army officer asked me what kind of pistol I carry and I told him that I carry a Glock 26. He told the class that he has a baseball bat and other things in his car to protect himself. I learned a couple a things from this discussion in class, colllege students seem to be very naive if only 3/10 people have something at all to protect themselves with(excluding the shovel in the trunk answer), How most of the class seemed shocked that I exercised my right to carry when not on campus, and I feel the professor gained a little respect for me, oh and I feel the professor carries but did not want to admit it.

Cliffnotes: 3/10 people in my class have something to protect themselves with, class seemed shocked when I informed them that I carry of campus.

I was surprised at the reaction from my classmates, This was the first time that I had publicly admitted to ccw, What are your guys thoughts on the reactions of my classmates? Also how do you feel about publicly informing a mixed group of people that you ccw? Some of the students are my friends, and some I have never met before. What do you guys think about the 3/10 students having something to protect themselves?

I'm not at all surprised and the apathy for guns among your (our) peers will be the downfall of us all. Good response by the way.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The one big negative I worry about when informing people about carrying is the possibility that someone with a beef will call in a man waving a gun around to the police. This will probably end up with false reporting charge on that person, but only after much hassle. I do not generally **** off people enough to warrant that, so I do not worry about it much. (Oh and you forgot to tell them, plus an AR-15 and a shotgun in the trunk. You know. For the zombies. :D )

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Good for you, unfortunatly most people (sheep) believe that they live in a world where nothing bad is ever going to happen. And this is what the bad guys count on.

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    The one big negative I worry about when informing people about carrying is the possibility that someone with a beef will call in a man waving a gun around to the police. This will probably end up with false reporting charge on that person, but only after much hassle. I do not generally **** off people enough to warrant that, so I do not worry about it much. (Oh and you forgot to tell them, plus an AR-15 and a shotgun in the trunk. You know. For the zombies. :D )

A friend I work with had someone call campus police on him for carrying. My friend doesnt carry on campus, but does to go the range quite often, and at Purdue if you are caught with a gun, bulletts, mag, you can pretty much bet you are going to be expelled. Well my friend gets pulled out of a class by a PU cop(who is actually our boss as we both work for the PUPD in the student patrol program) and the cop checked his backpack. That is what came to my mind after I told the class that I ccw off campus.

imprimis5

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    Plainfield, IN
    This is all rather interesting to me. When I was at Purdue (not that long ago), most of my classmates were of conservative, rural stock, and seemed rather the sort that would at least have their LTCH. Now, I was an Agricultural Economics major, so perhaps my experience is skewed.

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    This is all rather interesting to me. When I was at Purdue (not that long ago), most of my classmates were of conservative, rural stock, and seemed rather the sort that would at least have their LTCH. Now, I was an Agricultural Economics major, so perhaps my experience is skewed.

This was a class mostly comprised of healthcare related majors. ^ part of my surprise was the fact that PU is a pretty conservative school, and a good majority of my friends do have their LTCH.

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I'm not surprised by the number who have decided to take responsibility for themselves was so small. Nor was I surprised by their response to your carrying when not in class.

I had a similar experience in a law school class where the professor made a statement and I raised my hand indicating that I had a LTCH. In a class of about 12, I would say 10 of those people looked dumbfounded.

Many people just do not think that they have a responsibility to themselves to take care of themselves. They think that campus police/security or professors will do it for them. As we all know here, this is utter rubbish.

I understand Indyjoe's concern for letting people know you carry, but responsible gun owners and gun toters (is that even a word?) need to begin sharing how we take responsibility for ourselves. I would wager that in that class of 39, if you offered to take a couple of people to the range or go out for coffee to talk about your carrying, you would get 4 or 5 that would jump on the chance. You would probably get even more who would love to go the range with you.

Many times I've shared that I carry a gun with me to groups of people. Most of the time I get the gasp, but then when I talk about how important is is for me to take care of myself, my loved ones, and the random person on the street that may need defending and there are no police, they open their ears. This is a classic example of how trust and influence work.

A great example is my young adult church group. One night about 10 of us were sitting around drinking coffee. I mentioned that I routinely carried a handgun for protection. Many were shocked, but the vast majority were curious. As time went of many of them got more curious and brave to talk with me about and several either wanted to get their LTCH or purchase a pistol after many occasions of talking (and shooting at the range). It all started with me giving something to them that showed some trust, and then letting them know I was a responsible good person. Once they knew they could talk about such things with me, they routinely sought me out.

This has happened time and time again in my classes, fraternity, church, and work. Now granted I don't go around talking about it all the time, but when the opportunity presents itself, I introduce people to an important part of my life, personal responsibility for my safety and well being. Sure I've been called names and even ostracized once or twice. But that isn't even worth acknowleging in light of how many other people have strengthened their interest in firearms.

So in summary, keep bravely sharing with people the things you value. Many many people are scared but curious about firearms, hopefully you'll be a door by which they go down the same path of self-resposibility and love for rights!

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    The 3/10 is not surprizing, I think you might get the same numbers at work. At my place of employment has about 30 people and I am the only one that carries. (but not at work :D). Most have no problem with it but they choose not to.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Not very surprised; good job handling the discussion.
    I did not carry when I was in college (I graduated in 2002). I wanted to carry, but did not know enough to be able to justify it.
    I don't think any of my friends carried either, but many of us do now.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    I was surprised at the reaction from my classmates, This was the first time that I had publicly admitted to ccw, What are your guys thoughts on the reactions of my classmates? Also how do you feel about publicly informing a mixed group of people that you ccw? Some of the students are my friends, and some I have never met before. What do you guys think about the 3/10 students having something to protect themselves?[/quote]

They are Obama Supporters:):

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Scutter01 said:
    Maybe there were others but they just chose not to indicate that they may be armed.
    Agreed. I probably would have kept my mouth shut if such a question were asked.

Of course, when I went to college I carried in violation of school policy so I tended to be less inclined to talk about guns just to avoid any extra attention.

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    I'd have stayed silent, too. My first thought was "now your car is a target for theft."

Who would you be likely to steal from:
    A) the guy that carries a pistol
    B) The guy that has a shovel in his trunk
    C) The girl that has a switchblade in their car
    D) The girl who has mace and a taser
    E) The 35 other students in the room who either wont admit to or dont own any other self defense items.

I live off campus, in a decent apt complex. I am also getting ready to change cars for the winter, I am not concerned about them breaking into my car. They may get 4 burnt scratched CD's but thats it.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Who would you be likely to steal from:

Criminals are not generally known for thinking that far ahead. That's usually why they're criminals. They're likely to think "Hmm, there's something in that car worth stealing, and the owner is WAAAAY over there in that building..."

Top Bottom