• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    B-town
    I really enjoyed this article. I've wanted to get into hunting for years and am currently picking out a squirrel gun. I want to use as much as possible and hadn't found anything that peaked my interest for tails until now. Fishing lures, who knew! Thanks for sharing!

CMac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    B-town
    Some people are going for that look:rockwoot:

images

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Tom Berg is an award-winning outdoor writer and a friend of mine. He is in Midwest Outdoors every month and a few other publications. I am always happy when he sends me something to post on openroadoutdoors. I let Tom know how much folks were enjoying his article and we got to talking. I thought you would like to see a portion of what he wrote:
    "The fur buyer will definitely buy skunks - their fur is actually pretty nice. I think I have heard that skunk fur is often dyed black (the white stripe, anyway) and sold as "black sable", too, but they must also sell it with the white stripe intact. In today's fur market, skunks are worth a lot more money if they have nice, white stripes. If the stripe is extra wide and goes from the forehead all the way to the tail in an unbroken line it is even better. But skunks still aren't worth a lot. Really good ones bring $8-$10. I have only sold one since I started trapping. I was hoping I would get $10 for it, but when it sold at auction it only sold for $2! Not worth dealing with the stink!"

"In my article I mentioned that beaver castoreum is used in perfume making. Of course, you know that the beaver castor gland is located right near the beaver's butt. Not too appetizing or elegant! But skunk glands are worth even more than beaver castor glands. Yes, the skunk scent gland with all of that wonderful skunk stink inside! Skunk scent is used in making perfume, also. You know how good perfumes and colognes last a long time? And you know how skunk smell lasts a long time? Guess what? They use the skunk scent as a base in perfume making (because it lasts a long time), and then strip away the smelly scents (with chemicals or whatever), and then attach good-smelling scents to the skunk scent base! I don't know how they do it, but they do! Pretty interesting stuff."

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I have a tanning how to video where the host claims Squirrel hide is just as tough and durable as deer hide. He makes pouchs and such from them

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Sorry, I'm just not into wearing fur. It makes you look like a primitive caveman.

Well... I don't wear fur for a night on the town, either. Heck, at my "ripe old age" I don't even worry about what I look like most of the time. I dress to be neatly groomed and comfortable. But if you are going hunting/trapping/camping/ice fishing, etc. when it is below zero out... You'll know why the mountain men wore fur! Nothing keeps you warmer. I can't even wear my beaver hat until it gets below 20F. It's just too stinking HOT!

Of course, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing something with an UnderArmor or Nike logo. It makes you look like a sophisticated metropolitan.

Huntrdan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Columbus
    I save my deer hides. I had 4 of them tanned and dyed hair off. My mom has always been a miracle worker with a sewing machine so I asked her to "help" me make a buckskin jacket. The only help she allowed me to do was cut out the pattern. It turned out pretty amazing. Now my grandson is saving his hides and wants one.

Very good article. We trap too and I always wondered what all they might do with the hides. We have eaten the racoons and they are pretty good. Didn't know that beaver was suppose to be good.

Top Bottom