• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    No secrets, just an interesting application for a security system.

How many wireless devices do you have with you each day? Do you know what they say about you? Some credit cards, membership cards and other items have RFID's that can be made to chirp with the right signal. Your laptop or cell/smart phone is always looking for wireless, and looking to make a "handshake".

I was shown a security system that not only can see you, hear you, but is looking to sense/detect the wireless devices on you. It is not designed to steal your data, but check if you should be in that area.

He showed me that I had 4 detectable items. I knew I had three, but he showed me the forth. I didn't even know the forth item could be made to chirp a signal.

I was then shown the log the system can keep. The digital system can log this information on any person walking past the sensor/scanner. It will match your photo to the unique ID's the wireless devices have on you. the range of the system is short for now, but that will get better.

It does have some good uses. If you had your wallet, cell phone or laptop stolen, they will find it before it can leave the building.

In the future, they will use the chirps from wireless devices to see where you are within the building our just outside it. They are working on a system that will compute the reflection of radio waves to detect a person who does not have any wireless devices on them.

They have a mobile unit that could be set up at a street corner, in a van or a very short range unit to scan what one person has on them. It would log everything that walks by and take a picture to add a face to the data.

I have no problem for this being used at high security sites or as a tool to find someone. However, this could be abused and in the wrong hands could be used to open/steal your car, unlock you office door, shut down your alarm system or get into your bank account.

He then used one of his toys to tell me the tire pressure on my right front tire was 3 to 5 psi lower than the other three.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    It is not designed to steal your data, but check if you should be in that area.

Are they going to ask for a permission slip signed by mommy or the wife? I could understand security clearances but that kind of thing should already be monitored.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    As far as electronic devices, to solve that you simply turn them off. They will not be able to trace anything that isn't distributing a signal in the first place.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    As far as electronic devices, to solve that you simply turn them off. They will not be able to trace anything that isn't distributing a signal in the first place.
    Only if you remove the battery and in the case of a smart phone drain the CMOS battery... of course if you do that, you phone is no longer a phone, just an expensive paperweight. WiFi manufactures already do this on a fairly common basis, it's expensive to implement, but it is more than possible.

give it another 10 years and it will be nearly impossible to not be able to be tracked down via your Personal electronic devices....

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion

Rfid doesn't have a power source that you can turn off. Thats why I absolutely dislike the idea of rfids. I can sit next to a security door with a 40 dollar DIY kit from an electronics boutique scan your info and be through that security door in no time flat.

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    IIRC, it was mandated for vehicles manufactured after MY 2006.

Actually, starting with model year 2008, the guberment mandates it on all vehicles.

On top of that, the guberment has mandated no lead wheel weights after model year 2010. Those shiny new wheels will show signs of rust around the "steel" wheel weights.

So, start hoarding the old one's now to melt down later into bullets.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Actually, starting with model year 2008, the guberment mandates it on all vehicles.

On top of that, the guberment has mandated no lead wheel weights after model year 2010. Those shiny new wheels will show signs of rust around the "steel" wheel weights.

So, start hoarding the old one's now to melt down later into bullets.

Shiny wheels are disgusting anyway...black steelies is where its at. As far as steel wheel weights; there are coated steel weights, ZAMA (not sure how long it'll take before someone complains about the zinc and whatever else is in the alloy) weights, and there are clip on and stick ons in several different materials. There shouldn't be any reason for shiny new wheels to get messed up simply because of the materials of wheel weights. I know there is a handful of states that have adopted the lead wheel weight ban but I think more haven't than those that have.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    No secrets, just an interesting application for a security system.

How many wireless devices do you have with you each day? Do you know what they say about you? Some credit cards, membership cards and other items have RFID's that can be made to chirp with the right signal. Your laptop or cell/smart phone is always looking for wireless, and looking to make a "handshake".

I was shown a security system that not only can see you, hear you, but is looking to sense/detect the wireless devices on you. It is not designed to steal your data, but check if you should be in that area.

He showed me that I had 4 detectable items. I knew I had three, but he showed me the forth. I didn't even know the forth item could be made to chirp a signal.

I was then shown the log the system can keep. The digital system can log this information on any person walking past the sensor/scanner. It will match your photo to the unique ID's the wireless devices have on you. the range of the system is short for now, but that will get better.

It does have some good uses. If you had your wallet, cell phone or laptop stolen, they will find it before it can leave the building.

In the future, they will use the chirps from wireless devices to see where you are within the building our just outside it. They are working on a system that will compute the reflection of radio waves to detect a person who does not have any wireless devices on them.

They have a mobile unit that could be set up at a street corner, in a van or a very short range unit to scan what one person has on them. It would log everything that walks by and take a picture to add a face to the data.

I have no problem for this being used at high security sites or as a tool to find someone. However, this could be abused and in the wrong hands could be used to open/steal your car, unlock you office door, shut down your alarm system or get into your bank account.

He then used one of his toys to tell me the tire pressure on my right front tire was 3 to 5 psi lower than the other three.

Wow, this is really cool stuff that I love. Now, to defeat the system, you have to become a stainless steel rat and make sure you don't chirp anything. Now all we have to do is invent some stealth clothing.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Wow, this is really cool stuff that I love. Now, to defeat the system, you have to become a stainless steel rat and make sure you don't chirp anything. Now all we have to do is invent some stealth clothing.

aluman.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Top Bottom