• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    They do a great job in laying out the basics of modern bullet design and why the caliber wars are pointless.

[video=youtube_share;T6kUvi72s0Y]http://youtu.be/T6kUvi72s0Y[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The countless hours in discussion of calibers could've been dedicated to other topics: OC v CC, wallet stealing State Troopers, the Boner Drone, CM's age, 1911 v Glock, AR v AK, beating dead horses, no horse is too dead to beat... :D

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    He said Boner Drone...... IBTL

Calling it the MQ-74C Remotely Piloted Multi-Purpose Aerial Vehicle would've caused confusion. The C-Model (post-Block 25 upgrade) has both FLIR and BONER capability. The older B-Models had FLIR or BONER.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Calling it the MQ-74C Remotely Piloted Multi-Purpose Aerial Vehicle would've caused confusion. The C-Model (post-Block 25 upgrade) has both FLIR and BONER capability. The older B-Models had FLIR or BONER.

Couldn't the Bs support asymmetric loadouts on the outboard hard points?

ETA
    Wait. I may be thinking of the export versions with the conformal fuel tanks.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    What handgun cartridge do you trust will kill a deer humanely with one shot, and a maximum of two shots? 22lr? 380acp, 38 special? 9mm? 45acp? 40 S&W? 10mm? 41 magnum? 44 magnum? 500 S&W magnum? Or something in between? Talking about 200lb grain feed Indiana White Tail.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    What handgun cartridge do you trust will kill a deer humanely with one shot, and a maximum of two shots? 22lr? 380acp, 38 special? 9mm? 45acp? 40 S&W? 10mm? 41 magnum? 44 magnum? 500 S&W magnum? Or something in between? Talking about 200lb grain feed Indiana White Tail.

Irrelevant. How many deer have run off after having been shot in the vitals with 30-30, 308, etc?

Hunting is about putting meat in the freezer. Self defense is about stopping aggression. Shoot early and often, regardless of caliber.

"One shot stop" is a lie.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

At least 75 gr .223. Well, not Indiana white tail, but Texas. (Which, ironically, are generally smaller than in Indiana.)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Like other shooting shot placement is important in hunting. Pass through is often useful in tracking so a cartridge should be able to do this.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Like other shooting shot placement is important in hunting. Pass through is often useful in tracking so a cartridge should be able to do this.

Exactly. This is why debating handgun rounds means absolutely nothing. You shoot until what you are shooting at stops.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thank you for sharing. This video is able to sum up more clearly/specifically/scientifically what I had concluded through my research; that most major handgun calibers have pretty similar performance in ballistics gel, and are far less effective than centerfire rifle rounds at incapacitating/killing. Rifle rounds tend to be lighter weight projectiles compared to handguns, so their speed seemed to be what made them much more deadly.

I was never able to determine at what speed a projectile becomes so much more deadly, and was interested to hear these fellas could basically give you a velocity where a projectile can cause damage to tissue that is NOT directly in it's flight path. 2,200 fps- that's good to know.

So I'll agree with the title of the video - handgun caliber wars are pointless, one isn't really THAT much better than another, and that's why I shoot and carry 9 mm. I have always been impressed with Lucky Gunner's videos and their approach to information. Thanks again.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Where ever the Caliber Wars Travel too, they always return to 9MM Parabellum. :rockwoot:

And yet it's not worthy of hunting with...nor does it even penetrate something as simple as a car windshield adequately, if at all...ricochet's galore!

I love a .357 magnum for deer...not into .44 magnum, personally! At a very close range...25' or so...
    I would try a .45 acp if I have a 5" or 6" barreled pistol to get it up to speed, along with the right load to handle it.
    But .45 Super...I would use that load! I would also try a 10mm, .41 magnum, or 500 S&W...if I had any of those calibers!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    ...nor does it even penetrate something as simple as a car windshield adequately, if at all...ricochet's galore!

You'd better get on the horn with the FBI, the US military and a majority of police departments in the US and let them know of your findings. Eventually, they're probably gonna have to shoot through a windshield, and that would be a really bad time to find out that their bullets bounce off of glass.

Weird that they didn't do any testing of their pistol ammo before issuing the stuff.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Irrelevant. How many deer have run off after having been shot in the vitals with 30-30, 308, etc?

Hunting is about putting meat in the freezer. Self defense is about stopping aggression. Shoot early and often, regardless of caliber.

"One shot stop" is a lie.

NOT TRUE!!! My pocket carried .50BMG can turn my enemy into mist.

If that is not enough, my shoulder slung 20mm Vulcan cannon usually will end the disagreement.

/SARCASM

looper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2019
    NWI
    And yet it's not worthy of hunting with...nor does it even penetrate something as simple as a car windshield adequately, if at all...ricochet's galore!

I love a .357 magnum for deer...not into .44 magnum, personally! At a very close range...25' or so...
    I would try a .45 acp if I have a 5" or 6" barreled pistol to get it up to speed, along with the right load to handle it.
    But .45 Super...I would use that load! I would also try a 10mm, .41 magnum, or 500 S&W...if I had any of those calibers!

I work at vehicle repair facility in chicago,south side, I have pulled 9mm bullets that have penetrated any body panel, glass, interior component and usually several components before coming to rest IN another component. The penetration of 9mm, .380, even .22 would obviously surprise you.

Top Bottom