• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So given the warm temperatures tonight, I was in some lighter weight camo that I usually use for early fall squirrel hunting, etc. The pants are some Mossy Oak Infinity break up pants, and the jacket is a Mossy Oak soft shell in the same patter. I really like the jacket...very comfortable, fits well, and has useful pockets, etc.

But under IR light from my camera, it doesn't have much "camo" to it. I changed out the memory cards after the hunt tonight as we had run off a few trespassers. I wanted to see if we had them on camera hunting from any of our other stands.

You can see me pretty clearly in the photo with what looks like a white jacket. Hunter behind me is wearing the same jacket. Pants seem to work pretty well.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Noticed the same thing when I changed out my card in my camera. While walking in front of it, my scentlok coveralls looked all white. No pattern could be seen at all.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I haven't hunted in awhile and always wore camouflage but remember the saying about camo. Camo is for people. I also remember the old Indian adage. The less you move the more you see.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I may have to intentionally get a few pictures of my heavier gear to see if it is any better. From my understanding, deer see in more of a contrast method than in the colors like we might see ourselves. So the type of camo might be less important so long as it doesn't provide a lot of contrast with the back ground.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    Here is an interesting discussion with photos about camouflage Camoflage Study There has been a lot of research regarding camo and deer vision since I first read that article. Deer basically see some yellow and blue, the latter even into the ultraviolet range that humans cannot perceive. Many clothes, including camouflaged hunting clothing contains UV brighteners which looks like a spotlight to a deer. And even if your hunting clothes specifically state that they are made without UV brighteners, your laundry detergent probably contains them. You can buy products that block UV brighteners in clothing and detergent that doesn't contain them. Shine a black light on your clothes and see if they glow. If they do, there's UV brightener present. Here's a link to a short discussion on this www.deerhuntersclub.com/tips/how-whitetail-deer-see-us-the-hunter-in-the-woods/

With a simple search you can find a plethora of erudite expositions on this subject.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Here is an interesting discussion with photos about camouflage Camoflage Study There has been a lot of research regarding camo and deer vision since I first read that article. Deer basically see some yellow and blue, the latter even into the ultraviolet range that humans cannot perceive. Many clothes, including camouflaged hunting clothing contains UV brighteners which looks like a spotlight to a deer. And even if your hunting clothes specifically state that they are made without UV brighteners, your laundry detergent probably contains them. You can buy products that block UV brighteners in clothing and detergent that doesn't contain them. Shine a black light on your clothes and see if they glow. If they do, there's UV brightener present. Here's a link to a short discussion on this www.deerhuntersclub.com/tips/how-whitetail-deer-see-us-the-hunter-in-the-woods/

With a simple search you can find a plethora of erudite expositions on this subject.

Thanks! WIll give those a read. I'm using the same detergent on all my camo (Bone Collector scent remover) so can rule that out.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Thanks! WIll give those a read. I'm using the same detergent on all my camo (Bone Collector scent remover) so can rule that out.

I imagine there are mornings where you have deer walking around you before sun-up and they are not busting you in the tree. So I dont think its an issue. As long as your using your tree for concealment, then we can probably get away with anything.

I feel more confident using a leafy suit jacket more than anything. I seem to get less stares with that than anything.

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    I quit using camo few years ago and went back to my old brown Carharrts and to be honest, I haven't been able to tell a difference. Still bring home a few deer every season. I seem to have better luck scouting out better locations and trying to stay quiet and still. Not knocking anyone who wears camo, just staring some of my observations

Top Bottom