• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I got a customer who has a brand new condo being built that is almost done, she wanted different colors everywhere and her builder wouldn't do it. So he is now painting all walls white and she wants me to paint all her walls the colors she wants. I was sitting here kind of figuring a price and man it seems kind of expensive. She is buying the paint....but the labor still seems high for painting. I usually don't paint entire interiors of homes....I am an exterior guy for the most part.

Any of you guys had your homes repainted inside by a painter? It is about a 2000 Sq foot house 7 rooms or so.......does 2000-2500 labor sound outrageous for painting something like this? I think I may need to have her get a hold of a painter that has some $10 an hour guys.....

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If that's whT it's worth for you to do it then stick to your price. There's some things I've priced high intentionaly because I do not want the job. If they wanna pay bad enough then I'd do it.
    the quickie $10 an hour workers will never be as good as the $20 an hour ones more than not.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Got airless sprayer?

I am great for high jacking a thread... I picked up an airless one a while back. Works great for outdoor stuff. I am nervous as heck to use it inside. I am guessing you tape off all the trim, windows and doors. Cover the carpeting???

How do you use it/ like it??

Wife wants me to do the living room and it is going to be a good deal of work. Was thinking of trying the airless... But not sure. I am always scared of new things...

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I am great for high jacking a thread... I picked up an airless one a while back. Works great for outdoor stuff. I am nervous as heck to use it inside. I am guessing you tape off all the trim, windows and doors. Cover the carpeting???

How do you use it/ like it??

Wife wants me to do the living room and it is going to be a good deal of work. Was thinking of trying the airless... But not sure. I am always scared of new things...
    I got an attachment roller that runs from the airless. Don't have to worry about overspray. If you use one, just be prepared to move quickly. You can put a lot of paint down in no time at all. And never squeeze the trigger at the bottom of a run.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have an airless sprayer.....but to be honest, I have never tried the roller attachment I got with it. Looks like it would be a PITA for this job because there is different colors in every room, and some rooms have 2 colors.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I have an airless sprayer.....but to be honest, I have never tried the roller attachment I got with it. Looks like it would be a PITA for this job because there is different colors in every room, and some rooms have 2 colors.
    OK, gotcha ya! Hope it works out. Charge the big bucks!

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I got a customer who has a brand new condo being built that is almost done, she wanted different colors everywhere and her builder wouldn't do it. So he is now painting all walls white and she wants me to paint all her walls the colors she wants. I was sitting here kind of figuring a price and man it seems kind of expensive. She is buying the paint....but the labor still seems high for painting. I usually don't paint entire interiors of homes....I am an exterior guy for the most part.

Any of you guys had your homes repainted inside by a painter? It is about a 2000 Sq foot house 7 rooms or so.......does 2000-2500 labor sound outrageous for painting something like this? I think I may need to have her get a hold of a painter that has some $10 an hour guys.....

Not if they know whut they do'n.....
    It kind'a like anythin'.....ya git whut'cha pay for......if they don't brush 3 sand'd coats coats(1 primer/2 finish....) o' oil on the wood/trim/ millwork.....then they DON't know whut the hell they do'n....:whistle:......an' they's MORE ta roll'n walls/ceilings.....than just slap'n a roller in a pan.....and roll'n it.....

MOST o' the work in paint......is in the prep.....

but I'm .....picky......:):

fars her supply'n the 'colors'......be glad......I've seen some buzt 175.00 a gal (Pratt/Lambert.....etc.....)

an' I'll add.......till you've SEEN a good/x'cellent paint job......ya really don' know the diffrence.......trus'me....

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Not if they know whut they do'n.....
    It kind'a like anythin'.....ya git whut'cha pay for......

I helped my buddy when he was redoing his house. My sister showed up to help paint. She is as worthless as trash... And I am being nice. His house was all rewired and redrywalled. She came by tossed a roller in a tray, rolled the walls, rolled right over all the new switches, outlets, door hinges, window sills, tossed the roller back in the pan and said she did all the work. Never cleaned anything. Actually that was more work than I seen her do in a decade.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I had a retired union painter paint 3 bed rooms with 3 different colors and 2 bathrooms (white ceilings, colored walls and an accent wall in each room. 8 different colors total) he also removed wall paper from 1 bathroom 1 bedroom and fixed all the imperfections in all the walls including the bathroom that had a horrible drywall/taping job. He charged me $400 and it took him a total of 18 hours to do. He charged me a day rate of $200 for labor. He worked his ass off and had 3 or 4 rollers going at once to keep moving and never had to wait for paint to dry. He is a bad ass and I will always call him if I ever need anything done like this again. Your price seems very high.

Kimber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    South Bend
    Your price is fair, do not spray! If you have never sprayed before you will have major problems. Brush and roll use a wooden rolling pole. Cut everything in first. Tell her to buy good paint, cheap paint will not cover well.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I'm goin' with Harleyrider_50 on this one.

Did an interior job once that the client wanted 3 different colors in the room (ceiling 1, walls 2) and one wall with a faux finish. I gave 'em a price, and they never batted an eye. Obviously, with the faux finish, the labor was by far the largest cost.

$350 per room isn't 'outrageous' by far, for quality work.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've been painting professionally for 30 years.
    if I can assume you don't have to paint ceilings, closets, and trim, your ballpark seems reasonable to me IF you can provide a professional finish.
    If you want it to look like a $10 per hour job, hire the $10 painter.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Nine days ago we had a painter out to give us an estimate which he e-mailed to us the next day. It was quite high but he has good credentials and we want a top notch job. We accepted the bid and he said he would get back to us in a "couple" days to schedule. His "couple" days ended five days ago and we have yet to hear from him. I am inclined to cancel the deal. Shouldn't have to chase him around to take our money.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Nine days ago we had a painter out to give us an estimate which he e-mailed to us the next day. It was quite high but he has good credentials and we want a top notch job. We accepted the bid and he said he would get back to us in a "couple" days to schedule. His "couple" days ended five days ago and we have yet to hear from him. I am inclined to cancel the deal. Shouldn't have to chase him around to take our money.

There's yer answer.....anybody at's worth a shizz.....is busy......

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Thanks guys. I thought it was pretty fair....just wanted to kind of get a feeling of what you all thought. I had to keep in mind it is a brand new home...so I have to protect carpet, trim, windows, lights, etc., the up side is no furniture to move.

Top Bottom