Internal hammer-fired plastic fantastic... new hotness?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    So, I really like the new S&W Equalizer and with the newly announced FN Reflex I'm wondering what people think of this design. I am NOT the target demographic of how S&W is advertising this, but I can't help but think everything about it is a net gain over the striker-fired platform and I am totally enamored with it.

Lower recoil? Hell yeah! How about a full-size platform in 10mm (other calibers too!).

Easier to rack? Hell yeah! Super best #1 tactical operators that are down an arm/hand from battle on the internets? /s (I can see that as actually useful should the need arise.)

Subjective, but I feel true: Better stock trigger than striker fired and will be even better when/if popularity arises and trigger jobs/aftermarket parts become more available.

1-1/2 or double stack magazine capacity? Hell yeah!

Subjective, grip angle.

Subjective to S&W, the grip safety (if you love 1911s I don't think you can complain about this). The FN seems to have a modified "dingus" style trigger to counter this, but I wonder if that would take away from what the potential of the single-action trigger could be.

Again, I am not the target demographic of how S&W is using the "EZ" type marketing strategy for their platform. I feel like all of these are just naturally occurring bonuses of the design. FN is doing a better job in that department IMO, but damn, I'm tempted.

Last edited:

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I like the concept. Have had it in a Ruger Security 9, and a couple of LCPs. I enjoyed all of those. Never carried with the safety on, didn't feel it was necessary with the dingus on the trigger.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I put my hands on a FN Reflex and it just didn't feel great. But I feel uncomfortable with any micro 9mm, like you said...I don't think I'm the target demographic.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Not familiar with the new guns in the OP, just here to say happy my FN 5.7 with its internal hammer is back in vogue. Just like my mullet. Or is that gone again now too?

Also @Dean C. i thought technically internal hammer fired was SAO…

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Never heard of either. Looked up both. What we have here is... two completely butt-ugly guns. BTW, my Keltec P32 has been rocking an internal hammer for 24 years. No news here.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    Until now I didn't know it wasn't a new thing. I've primarily been a wheelgun 1911 guy and never really explored the micro/compact 9s until recently. Granted the market is much better now than 10 years ago. My dad had a Keltec 380 micro some years back that was horrible.

Anyways... I kinda like the bonuses the design provides. I get people calling them ugly and hating the naming. I don't really care about looks in a pistol. Some are inheritantly better looking than others. I'm more of a form following function kinda guy. What is really tempting, to me, is a S&W Performance Center Equalizer with a ported barrel/slide. If I do get one I guess I'll have to turn in my man-card make a video like this...

Top Bottom